Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
OP
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
So I just had a bit of a theory going through my head...

A lot of people (including myself on my N3DS) can't downgrade their system because they either get a "Can't get CIA information!" error or their sysupdater just freezes when they see the main screen.

Many people already reported that restoring the 3DS to factory settings and then trying again helped and then they actually succeeded doing the downgrade to 9.2 + setting up EmuNAND on either 9.5 (N3DS) or 10.3 (O3DS).
I successfully downgraded 2 O3DS and sysupdater to 9.2 with no problems, however those were not "heavily used" and don't have eShop games except Demos on them. My N3DS however has a sh*tload of those on it.

My theory now for anyone who doesn't want to do a factory reset (like me) on their N3DS because they don't want to lose their data is to use a second 3DS, as example for me now one of my O3DS, and do a system transfer to it. That'd of course mean to either transfer all of it to EmuNAND which in my eyes is risky since no one ever tested this I guess.
I'd rather update sysNAND to 10.3 (since we can still downgrade and do all of the things later on again), do the system transfer from N3DS to the O3DS, once done factory reset (again) the N3DS so we have a fresh copy of 10.3 on it. Then, again, do the system transfer from the O3DS back to the N3DS and once done try a downgrade on the N3DS (since system transfers are only available on the always latest firmware).

However, as said, this is only a theory and not yet tested by me! Since system transfers are limited to a specific amount and this is something I don't want to risk (yet) I thought I'd make this thread to share my thought with others and discuss this before actually going to try it.
So please share your minds and ideas about this topic and, if you want, try it if you happen to have 2 3DS's and aren't too scared about your transfer numbers decreasing.

Thanks!

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd advise people who failed to downgrade to do a system update NOW to fix any partial downgrades. just because it says 10.3 does not mean it's actually 10.3, maybe CVer didn't get downgraded.

if it says 9.2 but you're having some problems getting CFW and the like running, try using this to see if you did a proper downgrade: https://github.com/ihaveamac/downgrade-check/releases

EpicLPer

OP
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
I'd advise people who failed to downgrade to do a system update NOW to fix any partial downgrades. just because it says 10.3 does not mean it's actually 10.3, maybe CVer didn't get downgraded.

if it says 9.2 but you're having some problems getting CFW and the like running, try using this to see if you did a proper downgrade: https://github.com/ihaveamac/downgrade-check/releases
You're kinda right, I'll do an update first and then after that try again to downgrade. Maybe that'll help, I'm on 10.1.0.27 now.

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Instead of doing a system transfer users could use a secondary clean sd or backup everything on their current sd and only placing the required files on it. All the eshop titles get stored in the sd so I think that could give the same results as doing a system transfer to have a clean system.

D

Deleted User

I successfully downgraded my 10.3 O3DS to 9.2 and put 10.3 emuNAND on it a while ago and it had a metric fuckton of games, DSiware, demos, and apps on it.

EpicLPer

OP
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria

Well even after the update to 10.3 it's still saying "Failed to get CIA file info!". I could try the system transfer now but I guess I'll end up with the same result...

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I have seen mixed reports about users fixing that error by renaming the updates folder to update. You could try making an exact copy of the updates folder in the root of your sd card and naming it update. You'll have two folders and it could work.

axemurderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instead of doing a system transfer users could use a secondary clean sd or backup everything on their current sd and only placing the required files on it. All the eshop titles get stored in the sd so I think that could give the same results as doing a system transfer to have a clean system.

I've tried doing this and I still get a softbrick.

EpicLPer

OP
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
OH MY FUCKING GOD AFTER LIKE THE 100th TRY after the system update IT FINALLY DOWNGRADED!!!!
n8DEhHr.jpg

Reactions: zoogie

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary

Thanks! So if this tells me I have successfully downgraded it means that every single title (including the browser) have been downgraded completely?

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! So if this tells me I have successfully downgraded it means that every single title (including the browser) have been downgraded completely?
...no. someone did suggest it to me though but it's not easy unless I can somehow get the versions out of several cia files. it only checks NATIVE_FIRM which I believe to be the main one, since that's the kernel

Reactions: SomeGamer

EpicLPer

OP
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
One downside: My WHOLE folder structure is now gone xD

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------