Suggestion A Switch Homebrew Social Experiment

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by TotalInsanity4, Jul 9, 2017.

1. TotalInsanity4
    OP

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    We all remember 3ds.guide. I'm sure many of the people reading this post even used it to hack their 3DSs. It is easily the most comprehensive, accessible, and, importantly, inexpensive method of hacking a console I have seen to date.

I'm sure everyone has also noticed just how hard Nintendo has been fighting back this generation; homebrew is usually a pretty cat/mouse game, but it would seem that the widespread ability of hacking has kind of forced their hand in this regard.

I kind of have an idea as to how to (at least attempt to) negate this... Whenever switch.guide (or equivalent) comes out, it should be put on a private, referral-based website that's put behind a verification page (e.g. user has a referral code attached to their username that acts as a temporary password, then once that screen has been cleared a user can go on to make their "guide" account with their own referral code to give to anyone that asks them, so on and so forth).

This would still allow the guide to circulate freely, but would still keep it under the radar (well, for a period of time, at least) from Nintendo, as well as preventing it from becoming TOO widespread.

Last edited by TotalInsanity4, Jul 9, 2017
    Jonna and sks316 like this.

2. Sasori

Sasori GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    That really won't do much except make it a waste of time and cause a majority of users to then look for other guides as they wont want to go through the hassle to just access the one site. As there will be a plethora of other videos or even text guides on various other forums.

Besides even if the whole point was to try and hide the process from nintendo its not like they cant see it. Anyone from nintendo can just as easily do that small verification to get in or just download the source code from the site and view the site offline and bypass the other BS altogether.

Its an interesting idea on paper but it wont work well in execution. 99% of users are barely compentant enough to access google. let alone access a site via referral code

Coc4tm, Zacchi4k, FlappyFalco and 4 others like this.
  3. TotalInsanity4
    OP

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    The idea of the verification process is that nobody gets in without somebody's permission that's already connected

4. YamiZee

YamiZee GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2013
    Finland
    What if I don't have friends

5. Sasori

Sasori GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    Unless you can't use whatever exploit comes out without that one specific site that wont work. Someone will just make another guide on another forum or a youtube video so that more end users can get the information easier.

josamilu likes this.
  6. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    Fuck that shit

Daggot, mech, VinLark and 2 others like this.
  7. Felek666

Felek666 Archdemon | #AMDForever

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    If Switch gets hacked then expect me to write a guide.
    Hopefully somebody will not make another shitty switch.guide.

Kourin, TotalInsanity4 and WeedZ like this.
  8. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    It's no different than private communities. You know how we feel about those. And I'm not sure what information we'd be hiding from ninty anyway. Anything in that guide will already be known to nintendo. Remember, the exploits we have were recreated after being announced at public conferences.

9. TotalInsanity4
    OP

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Shit I just realized I said "paywall," I absentmindedly wrote that. I meant login/verification

WeedZ likes this.
  10. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2015
    Social experiments are garbage.

I just wanted you to know.

Roomsaver, mech, Xanthe and 1 other person like this.
  11. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Imagine everyone who are following outdated guides on youtube, because they're too lazy to follow that written guide. Plenty of people have screwed up because of that.
    Now imagine that invite based guide instead... youtube guides will pop up (probably less frequently even, being even more outdated). MORE people will watch those videos instead of going through the trouble of getting verified.

Nah, I don't think it would work well at all honestly.

Roomsaver, Felek666, Xanthe and 3 others like this.
  12. TotalInsanity4
    OP

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    That's fair, I guess

13. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Cockney tempa

May 22, 2010
    United States
    Wasn't there a similar closed system to Vita hacking back in the day regarding exploitable games? so as not to get the games removed from psn too soon.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  14. Xanthe

Xanthe Sith

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    Although I appreciate the idea, it isn't fair to the people without connections.

15. Zacchi4k

Zacchi4k GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Italy
    If we find a way to block everyone else from making guides/YouTube videos on how to hack the Switch, if the hackers keep everything private and never release anything on GitHub and similar, and if the methods used to launch the payloads aren't something which can be easily be reverse engineered (a.k.a. an HTML with JavaScript on it or similar, with easily readable code), then yes, it might work.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  16. Oleboy555

Oleboy555 Wie dit leest is een zemmel

Feb 8, 2017
    Netherlands
    Amsterdam
    3ds.guide is very well made why would a potential switch.guide be bad? just because wiiu.guide is below standards?

17. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    There's no good way to go about this. Between outdated videos, not following directions and general user error? Adding this in will further divide everyone.

Zacchi4k likes this.
  18. Felek666

Felek666 Archdemon | #AMDForever

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Both guides are bad, misinformed and shit. /rant
    Although I can agree on 3ds.guide that's it decent but never on hell about wiiu.guide.

19. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    haha
    SO your trying to protect a hacking guide.
    Its the hacking world. People would get so many viruses trying to download fake guides.
    Then the guide itself would be copy and move elsewhere.

The whole point of this stuff is to open things up for everyone to use.
    Nintendo will find out sooner or later what is being done to hack there system and they will patch it.

And you do know that when your ip gets flagged for downloading torrents.
    That the person who is flagging them is also downloading the torrent themself to see who all is downloading.

So basically saying there is nothing to stop a nintendo programmer from having an active account on here and getting all the information that is being used to hack there system.
    This is nothing new here. I dont see why you would want to change how thing go.

Felek666 likes this.
  20. Zacchi4k

Zacchi4k GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Italy
    But for someone who doesn't know any better and just wants to run homebrew it's good. Is there really any need to go in the finest details?