A question regarding R4.

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Cronoadvan, Apr 14, 2010.

Apr 14, 2010

A question regarding R4. by Cronoadvan at 5:50 AM (1,220 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Cronoadvan
    OP

Newcomer Cronoadvan Member

United States
    Soo, i was doing some reading around, and apparently the R4 project died some time ago, and all that remains are the clones swarming around.

My question is, is this one a clone too? bcause i bought it the other day.

R4i Website

Im still doing some research, but i would feel really stupid for buying that without doing so before hand.

Thanks in advance.

PS: If its a clone, is it worthy?

2. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    Its a clone, any R4 that has SDHC support or works on Dsi is a cheap shit ass clone

3. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    Yes its a clone. Anything R4i is a clone.

4. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    clone=yes
    worthy=without wood no

worthy clones=the 1:1 clone,those made by the M3

don't buy the R4 if you want a new card

5. Cronoadvan
    OP

United States
    Damn, and i though i was getting the best in the market.

Reading more thru the forum, i get the idea the Acekard is the best. I have a DSi XL and just want it for playing games, i dont care about about other functionality or features. Compatibility.

Would the clone im about to receive in my mail be able to handle that or should i kick it the way it came from and get an Acekard?

I know its a matter of personal taste, but im new to this and don't want to mess up again. I'm asking for your personal experience. xD

6. silly_z45

Newcomer silly_z45 Advanced Member

Australia
    where did you get your info indicating R4i would be the best on the market?

7. BoxShot

United States
    Kick it away. [​IMG] It can play games but I don't know if you would be satisfied.

I can't judge if its really bad or not since I don't have one.

8. MasterLaser

Member MasterLaser Vaporeon!

New Zealand
    i got a acekard and its really good.
    try sell the clone and get acekard or M3i zero or even wait for the supercard DS TWO

9. bennyroger

Member bennyroger GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    Seems you are lucky and got a supported clone. The R4 from r4i-sdhc.com actually have support and have good game compatibility.

10. Cronoadvan
    OP

United States
    Well, i readed the info on R4 here [http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2008/05/20/hom...-solution-r4ds/], since i wasnt so aware of the clone problem i took for granted it was an upgrade. The site looked fishy thou...

About the Supercard, is this the legit website? [http://eng.supercard.sc/]
    Why is this card so good?

@bennyroger

I've had bad experiences with clones before, one of them being my MSProDuo dying and taking all of my savegames with it. Ohh FF Tactics and Wild Arms...

I admit some out there are good, but theres a reason ppl dont really trust them and they are not legit.

Thanks everyone for replying so fast, im going to keep reading and hopefully will have a decision soon [​IMG]

11. BoxShot

United States
    Supercard has a long lasting support as they still update their slot 2 albiet slow.
    It probably won't fit you since you don't need extra features. Then again it does have clean mode which (I believe) can play pretty much every game with a little tweaking even if its a new game.

12. Cronoadvan
    OP

United States
    Just checked this: [whoops, wrong url]
    Under Known Clones > R4 expand, near the bottom:

"R4i RTS/R4i SDHC (M3 Supported, get's regular updates by the M3 Team. It's an "official" R4 flashcart, not a clone)"

Its under the clones section, but it says its not a clone? Im almost sure thats the one i got.

But thats just repeating what bennyroger said:

"Seems you are lucky and got a supported clone. The R4 from r4i-sdhc.com actually have support and have good game compatibility."

This is the article i read, in this forum:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=217593#P3

13. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Have you checked the date on that Joystiq article? 2 years is a long time.

14. bennyroger

Member bennyroger GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    R4RTS (www.r4rts.com)from M3 team is a supported clone, I call it clone not because its a hardware clone, its a name clone.The team try to make more money because people know the R4 name,
    R4i-SDHC (www.r4i-sdhc.com) is a stranger card, it gets updated by a team, and its not really a full hardware clone, its a mix of something else. It could very well have another name than R4 and be counted like a real cart if it was not for the name. Built quality is good.
    These two cards are the only "R4" clones out there that could have been called something else if the producers wanted too because they have real support and their "own" hardware.

Usually a first time buyer would never know that these two cards differs from the 100's of R4 branded carts because its very difficult to tell them apart, no need to say the rest of the R4 clones does not have any support, they are 100% ripoffs. Thats why the R4 cards are not recommended to buy, too many bad clones, too difficult for users too differ.