Hacking A Question Regarding PS3 Security (From a Simple Noob)

TheOverseer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...This may be one of the silliest questions around, so I apologize regarding this. I am fairly unfamiliar with the PS3 and do not know much about why this would or would not be difficult. So I'm just going to ask a very simple question here.

I watched 27c3 when it first came out, and I watched 27c3 again now. It explains how much of a fail the PS3 security is, and also why it's such a fail.

I understand why we haven't been able to get true CFW again, due to lacking the keys to sign things for PS3 again, since ECDSA was broken.

So, my question is simple. The Webkit Browser for PS3 is ANCIENT. and as it's ancient, it surely has several, several of the flaws that are found on both the PS Vita and PS4 Webkit browsers. The lack of proper checks in the PS3 hypervisor and how it doesn't enforce security on applications despite them actually being signed is described clearly in these presentations as well.

Even if True CFW cannot be run, like some of the later models of PSP, and also on PS Vita, LCFW and HENs, like HENKaku, which were based on compromising the memory of a system and taking it over, became popular.

And with the PS3 having far less security to a point where true ROP chains don't seem to even be required (...The PS3 has been attacked by overflows several times...) this would seem to be easier than both on the PS4 and especially the PlayStation Vita. Further, since according to Fail Overflow's presentation, only lv2 is needed to be compromised in order to run any unsigned code one wants, since the hypervisor simply doesn't care...

...So my question is...why haven't we seen the PS3 equivilant to HENKaku for PS3 users, especially PS3 Super Slim users? Wouldn't it be extremely beneficial to the PS3 scene to have players after 2010, which is over 60% of PS3 sold to market to date, be able to run custom software like the 3DS?

Just a thought based on what I know about the state of the console.

TheOverseer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bump! Does no one have any answer to my question? o.O

Is it just a bad question, or is it more just not really sure why either?

D

Deleted User

It's more that no one knows why. Exploit is possible but no one wants to give it a try.

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well people don't want to get sued like GeoHot. Also the PS3 browser is so ancient that most things these exploits need (even if they work) aren't on the browser.

TheOverseer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well people don't want to get sued like GeoHot. Also the PS3 browser is so ancient that most things these exploits need (even if they work) aren't on the browser.

Geohot only got sued because he's very public about what he's been doing. Consider Yifanlu, the guy who cracked Vita, and his team. Completely untouched. Not even a sniff in his direction.

Because he didn't tell everyone his name is George Hotz and he comes from California. George Hotz and his public persona is what caused him the trouble with Sony. He made himself a very, very easy target.

The people behind the PS4 hacks are untouched too! Though of course, it's to a lesser level.

As far as the thing the exploits need, my point wasn't that the same exploits could be used, my point was that Webkit is a vulnerable mess and old, old exploits could work easily. Consider there are exploits on version 2.1 of the Nintendo 3DS software through webkit. These are the kinds of things I'm referring to.

Active systems attract active hackers. Ain't no glory in finding a weak door lock in a building that's had its entire front wall blown off already.

Except for SS it hasn't been at all. And like I said, that leaves over 60% of users completely unable to use this. For a system that became as small and compact as SS, it'd be extremely useful and after properly setting up LV2, could use all the same software packages most likely, as long as they didn't require low level support. Even one break in the chain at this point would equal total ownage of the system, like Henkaku ENSO.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I like how Amazon just has one long Add to cart button now just in case I forget where it is