a question regarding backups

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by NovaSS, Mar 23, 2009.

Mar 23, 2009

a question regarding backups by NovaSS at 8:42 PM (662 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. NovaSS
    OP

Newcomer NovaSS Newbie

United States
    I'm trying to get both gamecube and wii backups to work. I managed to burn a GCN backup onto DVD+R and DVD-R and both are working (booting at least). I ran out of DVD-R media so the wii game I tried burning I put on DVD+R and it won't boot. I tried reburning it as slowly as possible (told imgburn 1x but it did it at 2.4x). No luck with that.

Could it be the media at fault? I ask only because it's the same brand as the working GCN game was burned on (same batch and everything). Would it work for one and not the other for any reason? Obviously it could just be that I got lucky with a good burn on the GCN game I guess. It's Verbatim DVD+R. The working GCN DVD-R is on a Maxell. I can't set the book type on my mat-shit-a that's in my laptop. I haven't checked my wife's laptop yet to see what brand of burner she has, so that might be an option too. If that's the likely problem, does anyone know a good external burner that is known to burn good backups? i have both USB and Firewire on here. Some people seem to say any burner will do, but others say that changing the book type is what makes their backups load.

Is there a recent list of known good media and burners out there somewhere? A wiki maybe? I can find a lot of chatter about it that's 2 years old, but I want current equipment that I can readily get without having to ebay it if possible.

2. Valgreen

Member Valgreen GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    well there is alot of "good" media out there...

verbatim, hp, sony, even no-name brands lots of people have had luck with.

in terms of burners, i personally like LG and LiteOn (plextors or also awsome, just expensive).

i havent heard of a wiki that lists which media is good or bad.. i know there was a thread here ahwile ago that listed which worked the best, but i couldnt find it.

good luck bud.

3. geishroy

Member geishroy GBAtemp Fan

United States
    if the booktype is not set to dvd rom for dvd+r then your wii will not read it.

any brand of dvd will work as long as it is -r, regardless of anything anyone tells you.
    if said brand didn't work in their wii it's because their burner did not like it, not that the media is trash, just go buy the cheapest.

liteon drives are pretty cheap, in terms of parts from what i've experienced. they've broken quite easily after a year of use.
    lg drives are pretty nice actually, and hell i've never had a problem with a sony drive either.

idk, i wouldn't worry about buying another burner, i'd just only by -r media from now on.

4. NovaSS
    OP

Newcomer NovaSS Newbie

United States
    Alright, I'll probably pick up some DVD-R media and give that a go. Like I said I simply ran out and I was confused because the +R GCN backup loaded without a hitch. I'll also see if the booktype can be changed on the other laptop, but just buying the right media will be easiest if that's all it takes. If need be I could do the external burner thing (whether a USB/IDE adapter or an intentionally external drive). I'm just hoping to find a solution that doesn't eat a lot of time or money. I heard wallyworld carries the maxells for cheap. They definitely work with my burner for data (and GCN games on at least one occasion) so I might just go with those. Or whatever Staples has in stock since they're really close to home. Or whatever my neighbor has who works at a store and gets sick deals on spindles that are cracked since they can't sell 'em to the public. [​IMG]

5. NovaSS
    OP

Newcomer NovaSS Newbie

United States
    Office Depot has TDK DVD-R 100 packs for $22.99. Insanely cheap... Anyone ever use these for backups? I guess it's cheap enough to just test it out, but it sounds too cheap to actually work... 100 coasters for $22.99 even sounds cheap, if you need to serve that many drinks at once.

6. dwii

Newcomer dwii Member

United States
    lol i would go for it.

i don't think the wii is that picky when it comes to quality discs, not sure but low burn speed and good rip/iso and i'd say almost any dvd-r should work.

7. f0rty0z

Newcomer f0rty0z Member

United States
    I use TDK DVD-R with my burn speed set at 4x.

8. NovaSS
    OP

Newcomer NovaSS Newbie

United States
    I'll probably pick some up so I can burn on my own laptop, but I just burned on a DVD+R on my wife's laptop (hell, the game's for her anyway...) She has a tsscorp ts-l632d and apparently it sets the book type to DVD-ROM by default. So now she has her Jillian Michaels backup working.

I was wondering... what is the best option for making an ISO? I was considering giving the wifi route a try, though my router is sometimes a worthless doorstop for a few seconds which causes my to lose connections, so I'm not sure if it'll be reliable. I'm thinking of getting a USB gecko too since they're not too expensive, but I'm not totally sold yet. Someone convince me. Obviously there's also the option of getting one of the LG drives and putting it in a USB enclosure. I guess the advantage there is less wear on the wii's drive. Anyone care to weigh in on what's worked for them or if you've used more than one method for making an ISO, what worked the best? If there's a way to rip the ISO from linux, putting an LG drive in one of my desktops is an option too; I just don't have one running windows.