A question on undubbing

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Eamon, Nov 6, 2012.

Nov 6, 2012

A question on undubbing by Eamon at 4:10 PM (1,909 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Eamon
    OP

Newcomer Eamon Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Hi,

Basically, like a lot of other people, some localized japanese games feature cringeworthy english dubbing. I have played a couple of undubs like with Persona 3 FES, Dissidia and Duodecim. I've also played the Catherine undub on PS3 which was almost entirely complete.

But right now, Zone of the Enders HD collection is out. And since its a game inspired by mech anime, I thought about playing it with original japanese subs. But Konami have a good record with dubbing as shown in the MGS series. But after listening to the voice acting in a ZOE cutscene, I found it terrible.

Now, forgive my ignorance if I make a mistake here, but undubbing a game is pretty much just replacing audio files from jap region of the game with the US/PAL version of the game. I presume it's not a smooth process and sometimes code or something needs to be rewritten.

Either way, it doesn't appear any advanced modder is interested in undubbing ZOE HD collection so I thought I might have a go myself even though it'll most likely be imperfect or fail completely.

So, I ask the experience peeps here at GBATemp. What programs do you need? I assume the audio files are compressed in that PSARC file, right? Is undubbing a PS3 game simply a matter of extracting the PSARC, replace, put the PSARC all together? Or is there something more that can be done by a newb like myself? Thanks in advance.

2. Knocks

Member Knocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

There is an undubbing forum at Undubbing.com, so you might want to start a discussion there.

3. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Undubbing isn't as easy as to simply replace the audio files. You also need to adjust audio timing.

Like Knocks said, go to that forum and ask for help.