A question concerning cios_fix

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by FenrirWolf, May 21, 2009.

May 21, 2009
  1. FenrirWolf
    OP

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    So the various downgrade guides usually have you install IOS16 or downgrade IOS35 so you can install cios_fix, which is then used to run downgrader applications. My understanding is that cios_fix is a really old version of cIOS (like Rev5 or something), so couldn't one just install a wad of cIOS Rev10 instead of having to basically install cIOS twice?

2. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Finally someone who understands how it works. Eventually i got tired of telling the people to skip cios_fix and directly installing the cIOS they want to have installed in the end.

3. FenrirWolf
    OP

United States
    Cool, glad to have confirmation on this. Also, doesn't this mean that you don't really have to downgrade your firmware entirely to set up backup loaders? Sounds like you could use the IOS16 or IOS35 trick, install the cIOS you want, then run Waninkoko's 4.0 update and be up to date and fully hacked without having to downgrade.

4. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Yeah that cios_fix just appeared somewhere in an old tutorial and now people are still doing it. Because it doesn't seem to do any harm. But it's not doing anything useful either.

5. fogbank

Member fogbank GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I think the problem was that cios_fix was WIDELY available in WAD form but newer revisions were not so readily available.

When I got a new LU65+ Wii to try and work on the LU64+ issue I went directly to cIOS rev9 by installing a WAD I created from IOS36 v1042 (all the tools and patch files are out there if people know where to look).

The Wii then ran everything (Gamma, SoftChip, USBLoader) flawlessly.

To this day I wonder if part of the problem with the LU64+ Wii's was the fact that most people were installing cios_fix instead of going directly to a higher revision cIOS (rev9 for example). It's probably not the case, but I couldn't find where anyone installed cIOS rev9 from a WAD on an LU64+ Wii and still had problems.

Who knows?

6. FenrirWolf
    OP

United States
    I certainly hope that someone else out there has tried a direct wad install of Rev9/Rev10 on a LU64 Wii other than you, so I imagine that's not entirely the case. I recall that there are some LU64 Wiis that are fully hackable, while there are also some pre-LU64 Wiis with the LU64 issue. Maybe you were just lucky.

7. fogbank

Member fogbank GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Probably [​IMG]

Ironically I considered myself "unlucky" in a way because I only got the Wii to try and work on the "unsoftmoddable" issue.

8. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    From the beginning of the backup launchers the ONLY requirement was to have a cIOS installed. With it installed, you can launch Gamma or SoftChip and it will play backups.

9. FenrirWolf
    OP

United States
    Cool. I guess downgrading was important in the past because of Starfall, but that's old news now.

10. 2yugimoto

Member 2yugimoto GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i finally understand now lol

11. FenrirWolf
    OP

United States
    Haha, we're all learning together.

12. deszaras

Newcomer deszaras Member

Yugoslavia
    So would it be safe to uninstall ios16, just standing there... doing nothing... [​IMG]