A little help with pc RAM and sims 3

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Leo Cantus, Jul 15, 2009.

Jul 15, 2009
  1. Leo Cantus
    OP

Member Leo Cantus So zeta slow!

United Kingdom
    I recently paid 30 pounds for The Sims 3, of course first checking I had the right system to run it, and I did.
    So it installs fine but when I play and it goes to the second loading screen with tips at the top it stops just before the end, and after a couple of mintutes goes back to the desktop.... [​IMG]
    I then realised that I didnt have the required 1.5gb ram!woops
    So I looked around the net for how to get more ram and every guide said to go to control panel-system-advanced and add "virtual ram", which I did. This takes my ram upto 2gb, enough to play...
    However, I still get the damn problem of it not loading and returning to the desktop!
    When I go to computer properties it says I have 765mb ram, which according to the guides it will stay as that and wont show the virtual amount. But when you go to system-advanced-virtual ram it says I have 2gb.
    So, do I actually have the ram to play the game?
    How can I solve this problem?
    Please Help!!!

2. Leo Cantus
    OP

United Kingdom
  3. Leo Cantus
    OP

United Kingdom
    guess thats £30 down the drain

4. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Just upgrade your RAM, you could probably find 2 GB (2x1GB sticks) fairly cheap these days, and you'll probably thank yourself in the future too.

5. Leo Cantus
    OP

United Kingdom
    thanks for replying, but I dont no if it is the ram.
    Cos I added the extra ram so it should be workin

6. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    Physical RAM, not virtual.

7. Law

United Kingdom
    It might be able to see through your cheap tricks, although you could try a crack to see if a cracked .exe would bypass your problem.

You probably shouldn't play it without the amount of physcial RAM the game states it needs anyway, you'll end up running into all sorts of problems.

8. Leo Cantus
    OP

United Kingdom
    some guy on says that Fujistu Seimens cant play sims 3 (which i have) all thought it meets all the requirements

9. Law

United Kingdom
    My laptop is a Fujitsu Seimens brand and can run the game fine. It meets the physical requirements for the game though.

10. k3vin369

Newcomer k3vin369 Advanced Member

Canada
    Buy RAM from a local computer store, they come in sticks. Just buy enough so that you can play and open your computer and stick it in.

11. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Virtual ram is just the windows page file, which uses your hard drive, that just won't cut it. Your hard drive is just waaaayy too slow compared to ram. Just get some extra ram, it's pretty cheap these days.

12. Leo Cantus
    OP

United Kingdom
    I listened to all of your guys advice and got the extra ram. But I have the same problem, the game freezes on loading and I return to the desktop.
    Just to be sure I had everything right, I went to the website "can you run it" which tests your pc to see if you can run a game. Here are the results:

CPU
    Minimum: (XP) 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent; (Vista) 2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent [If built-in graphics chipsets then 2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU, or 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent.]
    You Have: 2 processors running - Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2330 @ 1.60GHz PASS
    CPU Speed
    Minimum: (XP) 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent; (Vista) 2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent [If built-in graphics chipsets then 2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU, or 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent.]
    You Have: 1.60 GHz Performance Rated at 3.60 GHz PASS
    System RAM
    Minimum: (XP) 1 GB RAM; (Vista) 1.5 GB RAM [If built-in graphics then add 0.5 GB additional RAM]
    You Have: 765 MB PASS
    Operating System
    Minimum: Windows XP (Service Pack 2) or Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
    You Have: Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition, 32-bit (Build 6000) PASS
    Video Card
    Minimum: 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0 (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 or above / ATI Radeon 9500 or above / Intel GMA 3-series or above)
    You Have: SiS Mirage 3 Graphics () PASS
    Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card Video RAM: Required - 128 MB , You have - 256 MB
    Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You have - Yes
    Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 2.0 , You have - 2.0

Video Card Driver Version (DirectX)
    Your driver version number is: 7.14.10.5070 FYI: Your video card driver version is provided for your information, but it is not part of this analysis. But proper video card driver versions are important to the proper operation of your product.
    Sound Card
    Minimum: Yes
    You Have: Speakers (Realtek High Definiti PASS
    Sound Card Driver Version
    Your driver version number is: 6.0 FYI: Your sound card driver version is provided for your information, but it is not part of this analysis. But proper sound card driver versions are important to the proper operation of your product.
    Free Disk Space
    Minimum: 6.1 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB of additional space for custom content and saved games
    You Have: 41.4 GB PASS

As shown above, I pass everything and should be able to run the game.
    It says, "Congratulations, your computer exceeds the minimum specification required to run this game"

Mabye the guy at pc world was right, fujustu siemens cant handle games like this...
    any help thanks

13. Law

United Kingdom
    Minimum: Windows XP (Service Pack 2) or Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
    You Have: Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition, 32-bit (Build 6000) PASS

Minimum: (XP) 1 GB RAM; (Vista) 1.5 GB RAM [If built-in graphics then add 0.5 GB additional RAM]
    You Have: 765 MB PASS

Sounds like SRL is broken, and that you didn't get extra RAM.

People at PC World are never right, they don't know shit about what they talk about. My laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens and it plays the game fine with 3GB of RAM.

14. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Just noticed you have an SiS Mirage 3. From a quick search it isn't a great card and other people haven't been able to get The Sims 3 running on it.