Hacking A few questions

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I'm expecting an EZ Flash Vi pretty soon, since I don't have any DSi flashcards. I'm new to having multiple flashcards, and I'm only familiar with the Supercard DSOne, so therefore I have some questions about this one.

1. "CHT" and "SAVE" folder: I'm fairly sure the "SAVE" folder goes on the root, along with the "CHT" folder. Can someone confirm this?

2. Saves: Can I just copy/paste my SAV files from my Supercard into the "SAVE" folder and play them? I'm pretty sure of this as well, and I could also test it myself when I get the flashcard, but I'm just wondering in case I have to change around some stuff (which I doubt).

3. What is the usual hardware version of the EZVi? Is it [705] or [805], I'd just like to know what to expect so I can update to v15 or v14, depending on the EZVi. I'm getting it from RHS, if that makes any difference.

4. Games: I read that I NEED a game in order for the EZVi to boot. Does this need to be in the root, or can I have the game anywhere? All the videos that I've been watching don't really talk about this.

Thanks a lot for anyone who answers in advance.
biggrin.gif

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Save folder goes in the root, yes. CHT folder is no longer used nor does every game need it own cheat file, get the USRCHEAT version of any cheat file (like the one from FileTrip) you care to use and drop it in the EZ5Shell folder.

2) AFAIK, that should work. I believe both carts are using the same format. If not there are save converters, which I can't be bothered to look for right now. :-)

3) If you're using the EZFVi on a DSL there is no reason to upgrade the boot strap. If you're using it on a DSi, just upgrade it to the appropriate version for the card you receive. There is no reason not to, really , the latest versions are stable and really only improve compatibility for the card version in question.

4) Don't know where you read that, or which confused soul posted it BUT... Why wouldn't you have a game on your SD? Regardless it doesn't matter, an EZFVi will boot just fine w/o a single game on it. And it's menu negotiates folders just fine so you can put you games wherever you like.

I'm pretty sure you could just install the EZ's latest RC to the same SD your using on your SC1 and leave everything else alone and it would work (barring cheats - see point 1). Then you could even still use the SD in your SC1 w/o any more hassel then removing it from one cart and putting it in the other.

On another note, Moonshell's media playback has been removed from the EZ's kernel. You'll need a copy of Moonshell installed to play your video and music.

Edit: Just thought of this. All my advice is based off the 2.x RCx line. There is absolutely no reason to use the 1.8x "stable" or 1.9 versions (e.g. CHT folder is still used these versions). 2.0 RC 13 is rock solid and contains all the latest fixes (even fixed some games and things that no one announced/mentioned).

The only reason to use an older kernel is to use a pre-1.6 so you can use clean mode, IMO.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KidIce said:
1) Save folder goes in the root, yes. CHT folder is no longer used nor does every game need it own cheat file, get the USRCHEAT version of any cheat file (like the one from FileTrip) you care to use and drop it in the EZ5Shell folder.

2) AFAIK, that should work. I believe both carts are using the same format. If not there are save converters, which I can't be bothered to look for right now. :-)

3) If you're using the EZFVi on a DSL there is no reason to upgrade the boot strap. If you're using it on a DSi, just upgrade it to the appropriate version for the card you receive. There is no reason not to, really , the latest versions are stable and really only improve compatibility for the card version in question.

4) Don't know where you read that, or which confused soul posted it BUT... Why wouldn't you have a game on your SD? Regardless it doesn't matter, an EZFVi will boot just fine w/o a single game on it. And it's menu negotiates folders just fine so you can put you games wherever you like.

I'm pretty sure you could just install the EZ's latest RC to the same SD your using on your SC1 and leave everything else alone and it would work (barring cheats - see point 1). Then you could even still use the SD in your SC1 w/o any more hassel then removing it from one cart and putting it in the other.

On another note, Moonshell's media playback has been removed from the EZ's kernel. You'll need a copy of Moonshell installed to play your video and music.
1. OK

2. OK

3. I'm using a DSi.
biggrin.gif

4. I was just wondering on this one. I'm a little paranoid.

Thanks for your help.

Sp1R1t

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
hello all i am going to buy EZFVi... my dsi is v1.2E. should i update it or keep it like that? i wonder if the EZF5 will work with v1.2E...And something else... i downloaded a fil for EZF5 named "ez5firmwareV15.nds". How can i acticate it ??(i dont know about flash cards and i think that u understood that
wink.gif
)

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All new EZvi are sold with firmware v15 on it, and run on any DSi (including DSI LL and XL) on the market with any firmware.

Now about the fact you wish to learn things about this flashcart, read my sig.
wink.gif

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sp1R1t said:
could u answear the 1st question??
wink.gif
They're named differently. I'm not certain, but I think they're the filename of the rom with the extension "sav" instead of "nds". Run a rom to check what save file it writes.

Sp1R1t

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
tattar8 said:
Sp1R1t said:
wink.gif
They're named differently. I'm not certain, but I think they're the filename of the rom with the extension "sav" instead of "nds". Run a rom to check what save file it writes.

LoL i mean the question"so no problem about my dsi which v1.2E right?"

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sp1R1t said:
tattar8 said:
Sp1R1t said:
wink.gif

LoL i mean the question"so no problem about my dsi which v1.2E right?"
No problem with that.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mbmax said:
All new EZvi are sold with firmware v15 on it, and run on any DSi (including DSI LL and XL) on the market with any firmware.

Now about the fact you wish to learn things about this flashcart, read my sig.
wink.gif
In bold what you have not seen.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
You really can't unless you want to break the flashcart to look at the PCB. Don't worry too much, we all know which one your refering to even with the mangled short hand some people choose to use or try to make up.

The DSi XL/LL is just a supersized DSi. The EZ-Flash Team decided to make things simple and sell only the most recent flashcart, EZ Flash Vi, all of which is backwards compatible with the older DSL/DS.

Sp1R1t

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
EZ Flash Vi can play GBA games? and how the F*ck can i use cheats...i dont uderstand... where should i put them???

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Quote from the wiki in my sig :

QUOTE said:
Installation

To use cheat code you must have an ARDS database file copied into the EZ5shell directory. This file must be named USRCHEAT.DAT.

* download the last USRCHEAT.DAT file version at All you need for EZVi wiki
* uncompress the file USRCHEAT.DAT and copy it into EZ5shell directory
* That's it

Activating

To use cheat code you must enable cheat engine by touching the icon under game's picture (see EZ Vi settings). In rom settings window, turn ON Softreset, cheat field and press Y. When you select a game that has cheat codes, a new window will pop up and will list all the cheats available. Simply scroll down the list toggling ON any cheats you wants to use, use up and down arrows to go through list. Keys to open/close a tree are displayed on the bottom window. When you are done press Save and close rom setting window with A. Start your game, cheats code will be activated at once.

And last :

How to identify your EZ5 version

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: