Hacking A Few DSi Questions

Oisterboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, my birthday is in a few days...I didn't know what I wanted until just now.

1. I know my CycloDS won't work in the new DS. Can I still use my old roms and save files? Obviously the new card will have a different way of operating, but I don't wanna lose all my old stuff!

2. Which of the available cards, in your opinion, is best? I will prolly buy the CycloDSi, if and when they release one, but I'm gonna get a cheap DSi card until that happens.

3. Should I update my system when the chance arises? I know there is a lot of nonsense people with updated Wiis have to go through...and I know its just a matter of time before the DSi gets hacked, so should I update?

If I think of anything else I'll ask here.

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
Oisterboy said:
Well, my birthday is in a few days...I didn't know what I wanted until just now.

1. I know my CycloDS won't work in the new DS. Can I still use my old roms and save files? Obviously the new card will have a different way of operating, but I don't wanna lose all my old stuff!

2. Which of the available cards, in your opinion, is best? I will prolly buy the CycloDSi, if and when they release one, but I'm gonna get a cheap DSi card until that happens.

3. Should I update my system when the chance arises? I know there is a lot of nonsense people with updated Wiis have to go through...and I know its just a matter of time before the DSi gets hacked, so should I update?

Happy birthday for then!

1. you might have to convert your saves but just use this: http://shunyweb.info/

2. I aint got a dsi yet but when i do i'm looking to get a acecard 2i

3. Wait until someone else here does and posts the results, then you can decide fo yourself if you want to or not. Personally I'll be updating to 1.3 just to get the points from dsiware then leave it alone (lower the firmware the more security holes)

ekolimits

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do not update at all!
what for anyway... just so you can download crappy games... come on...
its better to be on the oldest firmware if you are enticipating a hack...

Oisterboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DrkXShadowZ said:
But isn't one of the reasons to get the DSi just to get those "crappy" games?

Actually, my main reason is that my old, release day DS only holds a 20 minute charge, tops. Hahaha.

ekolimits

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got the dsi because my ds lite had a cracked hinge and the L and R button did not respond anymore.
i traded it in for 90 dollar credit, which i thought was a steal!
i have the dsi because the bigger screens are really noticable! plus i always wanted things like changing brightness levels on the fly. plus soft reset built into the dsi. plus the interface is much better. and it has so much more power that the homebrew will do a lot once it gets cracked, which is inevitable. untill it gets hacked... dont update... really, there isnt much there to get, maybe update to 1.3u just to get the 1000 points and the web browser... and then wait...

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
ekolimits said:
do not update at all!

Please tell me where you get your info from. If they could see it, we could see it. And also enough people are on 1.3 so dsibrew and hackers will get round to it.
And also who said i wanted crappy games? Ninty could be sending out app channels (not using the camera obviously because they think everyone is underaged ¬.¬)

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh, I'm in much of the same boat as you, Oisterboy. I too, have a birthday coming up and will probably upgrade from the DS Phat to the DSi. My Phat only lasts about an hour 1/2 fully charged (without multiplayer usage).

I'm also trying to figure out if the Acekard2i is a good upgrade from the CycloDS... I still don't know how AKAIO is better then the official firmware, though... Also, while I'm at it, if I upgrade to AKAIO 1.4.1, should I upgrade to the latest official firmware first? (And yes, I read the Wiki.)

ekolimits

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sprogurt said:
ekolimits said:
do not update at all!

Please tell me where you get your info from. If they could see it, we could see it. And also enough people are on 1.3 so dsibrew and hackers will get round to it.
And also who said i wanted crappy games? Ninty could be sending out app channels (not using the camera obviously because they think everyone is underaged ¬.¬)

not saying they wont come up with anything good in the future... its just that, they have nothing good there instead of the web browser now...
and its always better to hold and wait to see what happens anyway... you wouldnt want to end up the only guy on the newst firmware who wanted to check the shop channel only to find nothing good and not be able to hack your dsi because you updated... thats all.

SonicMC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ekolimits said:
sprogurt said:
ekolimits said:
do not update at all!

not saying they wont come up with anything good in the future... its just that, they have nothing good there instead of the web browser now...
and its always better to hold and wait to see what happens anyway... you wouldnt want to end up the only guy on the newst firmware who wanted to check the shop channel only to find nothing good and not be able to hack your dsi because you updated... thats all.

We are stuck between a rock and a hard place right now with updating.at the current time the DSI only allows updating via the web and only to the latest version this is very different from the PSP where could could download a specific update from almost any firmware and put them on a flash card to update to a newer version. We also don't have specific games with specific updates either. So let's pretend that 1.4 comes out online. We will have 1.2 users, and 1.3 users. Lets then say we find a exploit in 1.3 AND FOR SOME REASON it doesn't work in 1.2 or 1.4. this would mean that all the 1.2 firmware are not going to be able to get hacked even though they stayed behind. So you might want to be on the firmware most people are working on breaking, or you might want want to stay behind. We really don't know it is a guess either way

ekolimits

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SonicMC said:
ekolimits said:
sprogurt said:
ekolimits said:
do not update at all!

We are stuck between a rock and a hard place right now with updating.at the current time the DSI only allows updating via the web and only to the latest version this is very different from the PSP where could could download a specific update from almost any firmware and put them on a flash card to update to a newer version. We also don't have specific games with specific updates either. So let's pretend that 1.4 comes out online. We will have 1.2 users, and 1.3 users. Lets then say we find a exploit in 1.3 AND FOR SOME REASON it doesn't work in 1.2 or 1.4. this would mean that all the 1.2 firmware are not going to be able to get hacked even though they stayed behind. So you might want to be on the firmware most people are working on breaking, or you might want want to stay behind. We really don't know it is a guess either way

you speak of what i am worried about... different versions work differently... and who knows which version are the hackers working on.... for now ill stay on 1.3u and hope

Knarf

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I've got myself a DSi. I updated to the second firmware and it works fine. I currently have a Acekard 2i, and I'm having absolutely no problems with it at all. Works the exact same way it did on the DS phat/lite.

Nathan-NL

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oisterboy said:

1. I know my CycloDS won't work in the new DS. Can I still use my old roms and save files? Obviously the new card will have a different way of operating, but I don't wanna lose all my old stuff! Yes.

2. Which of the available cards, in your opinion, is best? I will prolly buy the CycloDSi, if and when they release one, but I'm gonna get a cheap DSi card until that happens. Acekard 2.1 , no doubt about it.

3. Should I update my system when the chance arises? I know there is a lot of nonsense people with updated Wiis have to go through...and I know its just a matter of time before the DSi gets hacked, so should I update? There is currently no update for the DSi that blocks flashcarts.

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm loving my DSi. I was skeptical that the money to upgrde would be worth it, but I believe it was money well spent. The increase in screen size as someone mentioned is a blessing, especially when you're watching vids on moonshell or you're playing a game like trauma center.

As for flash carts, I'm liking my ezflash vi right now, though I've the AK2i is better. While the AK2i is having physical build issues, I'm holding off on buying one. Check out my videos in my sig if you want to get a good look at a DSi and an Ezflash Vi

commdante

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm guessing the new firmwares are only protected with the common-key, so 1.3 is most likely to be the first CFW imo. I expect that newer firmwares won't be much behind, at 1.4 (or the one that's most common) could be the first too.

Just know that you can always upgrade/update your firmware, but not downgrade (/down-date :? )

Anyways, I'd recommend helping out with trying to "hack"/bruteforce/getting the key and get the 10 dollars worth of DSiware points (imo, you can't call it Nintendo points if you aren't allowed to spend them on either Wii or DSi at leisure) and the dsBrowser. Imo you can't go wrong (at least not for very long, I highly doubt you'll be stuck at) with 1.3!

All just an educated guess from experience with the PSP though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @AncientBoi, got excited when he heard about touch screen +1