WonkaShack

OP
Trophies
Website
lockst3p.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Chile
Hiya people, i have some questions. Sorry for the long post, i don't thing it's something rare or complicated, but I prefer to give all the information that could be relevant.
tl;dr before the question

Like two months ago I installed cfw in my o3ds XL (11.9U, never been hacked before, had it since 2014, haven't had any injuries in the recent months) with steelhax + frogminer using 3ds.guide. After some weeks without any issues i decided to upgrade my original SD card to a new one (Maxell 32GB, bought it new in a legit store).

With the new card i played for like three weeks without any problems and then my custom theme (a legit one I bought years ago) started randomly deselecting to the default theme. After some research I did a backup of my files, formatted the SD, put everything back in, deleted the folders where the themes were, and it started working fine again apparently.

Like two weeks after i started having random crashes while playing some legit games i had since forever and looked like this

error shuffle.jpg

aaaaaand then it went downhill, having crashes with every game and cia, themes deselecting again, cartridge games taking a lot to start. Today I turned on for the first time in weeks due to finals and now the 3ds doesn't start with the SD inside, it justs turn the blue led on and turns off in a second, only turns on without the SD

tl;dr i hacked my o3ds XL 11.9U with frogminer + steelhax following 3ds.guide, then upgraded the original SD card to a decent quality 32GB one and after a few weeks it started with small crashes, 3ds themes deselecting, and it went downhill and now the 3ds won't start with that SD inside

I assume my SD card got corrupted, and I don't have the original one anymore. Fortunately I have a lot of backups. I have the original one after I finished the guide, I have a backup of my original SD before the upgrade to the new one, and I have a third backup from when i started with the custom themes issue on the new one.

At the moment Windows tells me there's a problem with the files in the SD card and doesn't allow me to copy or backup them to my computer.

My question is essentially how to proceed. I don't know if there's some way to repair the files I have now, or if I just have to assume they're dead and format the SD, or if I have to throw that SD in the garbage can. Also, in the latter case, which backup should I use in a new SD to don't fully lose my save files (I'm mostly worried about Pokémon Shuffle, i've been playing it for years) but also assure I don't have any corrupted files remaining.

Sorry again for the long post, and thanks for reading.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Test if your card is fake or faulty. It doesn't matter if you bought it in-store.
  1. Copy everything off your Maxell SD card onto a computer.
  2. Reformat in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size with Windows File Explorer or guiformat (if bigger than 32 GB).
  3. Full Write + Verify the empty card with H2testw. Do not skip this step.

WonkaShack

OP
Trophies
Website
lockst3p.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Chile
Thanks for the answer.

It was impossible to transfer the files onto the computer, it kept giving me errors, and I tried to open some photos i had on the SD and gave me just garbage pixels, so I just gave up and formatted

anyways i did what you said and here are the results:

Warning: Only 30707 of 30708 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
29.9 GByte OK (62887040 sectors)
448 KByte DATA LOST (896 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
448 KByte corrupted (896 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x0000000188dc6000
Expected: 0x0000000188dc6000
Found: 0x486f3ebf36649f5f
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 13.9 MByte/s
Reading speed: 20.8 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

at the moment i don't have any other new SD cards, but I have some used older, smaller SDs from old devices to make tests

Last edited by WonkaShack,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: