Gaming 9800gt graphics card question

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment, my PC is using a 8600gt graphics card and I'm considering upgrading to 9800gt sometime this year. My question is that since these have DDR3, is there going to be any problem with using it on my 2 year old motherboard which never had any mention of using DDR3 memory.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nope, ram on a graphics card is different to ram on the motherboard. as long as your mother board supports pci-express, which it does, you wont have a problem.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
assuming you meet the power requirements everything should be fine

also if you wanna save some money you can pick up a radeon 4830 instead since they are exactly the same performance, or if the 4770 is in stock get that instead, its just a tiny bit below the 9800GTX and 4850 in performance

67birdman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, it all depends on your power supply.
The graphics has its own GPU so it doesn't matter about the DDR3 RAM, but only if your computer supports PCI Express, only then will it work

CyberFish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How old is the PC? You could buy a new video card, but you most likely will need to up the power supply, which means you should start saving for a new PC. Just my opinion.

67birdman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CyberFish said:
How old is the PC? You could buy a new video card, but you most likely will need to up the power supply, which means you should start saving for a new PC. Just my opinion.
He's right, that's better in the long run..
lecture.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Manual charging