1. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Togo
    Imagine using this to play fps games.

2. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    It's simple: put a stick in the center of the d-pad, because everyone loved those cheap pieces of plastic known as the Gravis Gamepad Pros, right? /s

Even if these did have the L3 and R3 buttons, are they even compatible with those of us opting for a more console-esque experience as opposed to the undockable Switch Lite?

Last edited by Silent_Gunner, Sep 29, 2019
  3. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    Quite frankly I don't like this controller. It appears to be quite pointless imo.

Hephaestus likes this.
  4. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Uh, what? People buy 8BitDo controllers for more than the Switch...

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  5. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I suppose the only fighting game that this controller works well would be smash. Can't imagine this works on other fighting games.

Pretty sure I'm not alone on this, but I prefer analog movements for scrolling beat em ups over limited 8 directions.

2D platformers don't need duo d-pad (at least none that I can think of). Seems weird to use d-pad for moves or camera.

Grid based tactics games are maybe.

I do agree that some N64 games works well with extra d-pad, but wouldn't you want to get an N64 control instead at that point?

6. stephrk398

stephrk398 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Meh, put that $25 toward a legit $300 Switch. Worthy investment. You get a kickstand, joy-cons + grip attachment, analog sticks... And everything else that makes the OG Switch that much more superior.

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    The design reminds me of the iControlPad, only a bit sleeker. But that had slide pads.
    I suppose this would be nice for side scrolling games, but it looks pretty useless for any game with analog movement. But at that point, you may as well use a NSO SNES controller, or a SN30 (Pro), as the addition of extra buttons and a second D-pad won't be useful in 2D games anyway.
    I guess maybe for some games (stuff like Tetris 99) the arrow buttons might be slightly superior to a D-pad, to avoid accidental inputs, but you would be fine with just a D-pad as well. And the second D-pad just makes no sense, when the right analog is usually used for camera control or free aiming, which is awful with only 8 directions of movement.
    Which makes me wonder what game(s) they had in mind when coming up with this design, and what the thought process behind it was. Are there any games that for example use free aiming but only in 8 directions?

It also doesn't look terribly comfortable to use. Looks like your hands would cramp up after using it for a while. Which is the same problem I get with pretty much any handheld console, but if I'm bringing an extra controller with me I would rather bring something that's actually comfortable to hold.

I see one potential use for this where the layout actually makes sense and that is N64 emulation for games that make use of the D-pad (on a phone, tablet or the Switch itself)
    As the N64 controller has a pretty unusual layout plus more face buttons than what controllers normally have, and since this has an extra set of buttons, you can map one set to the C-buttons, and the other set to A and B and maybe quick save/quick load, speed up, or whatever else you feel like. But the layout would still be reversed (C-buttons on left side instead of right side) which may not be great for some games. And again the lack of any analog sticks means its usefulness is limited. It would work great for Mischief Makers though, as the C-buttons are used for jetpack movement, and the D-pad is used for normal movement, it makes more sense to have both on the left side, leaving your right hand free to use the A and B buttons.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Sep 29, 2019
  8. DaFixer

DaFixer Dare to be stupid

Netherlands
    That looks good, 8bitdo makes good controllers.
    So now I can play Link's Awakening with a Dpad :yayswitch:

9. CyclopSW

CyclopSW Newbie
    Newcomer

Canada
    Although the price point is decent, not sure if I'd actually use it as a controller though

10. VaiCorinthians

VaiCorinthians GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
  11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    While I would not say Smash would be a bad plan its generally simplified inputs I would rank as less than the likes of a virtua fighter, tekken or soul calibur for the kind of 3d stuff or Street Fighter, King of Fighters and whatever else in the classic 2d stuff, in terms of how useful this sort of thing would be. Granted at this point I am not sure how many, if any, games like those are available (even just emulated) or are likely to be a decent version but hey.

Scrolling beat em up wise while I have tried to play the new ones over the years then most seem to have been pretty weak, and even if the moves are also simplified like smash brothers then they still benefit from dpad precision over slight ambiguity for sticks, and trying to play emulators with joysticks is also no fun. Granted I would also take a dpad over an arcade stick from the time as well so maybe I am slightly strange here.

Assuming there will be no reconfiguration for different handed people (I have met those that would control with their right thumb if given the chance, though I believe we have system level remapping these days) then maybe dual pads would not give too much but over the stock setup or joycons it would do something for me. Probably not enough for me to bust out my wallet at full price but something.

On dpad for camera then I found it hard when some of the N64 stuff was variously ported to the gamecube or xbox family as it is a slightly different style (my one big gripe with Perfect Dark XBLA was the aim and sidestep move felt more clunky than the N64 one where I used it all the time, and some levels were really good with that move), and on the playstation side of things then a lot of the time a fixed rotating camera was stuck on the dpad for racing games which worked rather well for me -- free moving camera doing less well than the virtual equivalent of a macro for checking my blind spot.

You could get a N64 a like controller but they are mostly good for N64 and not much else. If all controllers are a compromise then this could do OK for that (or some of it) while still doing for other things.

I agree (and said as much) that there are definite downsides to this arrangement (though any deviation from standard can probably find downsides for one or more games) and it is unlikely to go wide but I can still see perks too.

12. PatrickD85

PatrickD85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    The 2 D-pads got me going like ... what
    The total lack of anolog stick got me going like ... ehhh
    Not something I would use, and I have multiple 8bitdo controllers.
    But it's cute though!

13. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Should've used sliders like the 3DS or small analogue nubs like the Vita, and then had a button for the analogue stick clicking (or just used small clickable sticks).

14. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    meh i'd rather the SN30 Pro+

RedBlueGreen likes this.
  15. HinaNaru Cutie

HinaNaru Cutie GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    that sounds like a you problem :v

16. PedroKeitawa

PedroKeitawa GBAtemp Maniac

Italy
    Well heres how they have solved the drifiting issue. You controller cannot suffer from drifiting...if he dosen't have any analouge stick.

I wonder if there is somebody crazy enough to try this thing with Super Smash Bros. If was compatible i know some pepole that would have try use the Pokèball + for play Smash.

17. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Canada
    If the d-pads acts as analog sticks, they could be an interesting choice to cannibalize to make a rhythm game controller.

Superbeat Xonic comes to mind where that controller could be used to make a Xonic controller.

18. shadow1w2

shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    If only the d-pads could also be analog.
    Its weird but I kinda want it.
    For those who prefer digital over anything I guess.

19. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    If only this pad connects to the switch lite this pad is basically useless

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  20. shadow1w2

shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    8bitdo controllers usually have great compatibilty especially combined with their adapters. Unless specified they usually advertise support for PC android and switch. Shouldnt be a worry.
    Also the switch lite is just a smaller switch so there's no compatibility issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - revealed, 8BitDo,