8 Bitdo have Updated their controllers to work with the Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Saiyan Lusitano, May 23, 2017.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    This is great news for those wanting to purchase a cheap controller but weren't able to. Well, now they can. The only problem is that the 8 Bitdo controllers are meant for NES/SNES games so not adequate to play games which require too many buttons (would work fine with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, for example).

1-switch-zelda-8bitdo-625x352.jpg

Source: Nintendo Everything

Xzi, XDel, B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N and 9 others like this.
  2. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Nice. I have one of that FC styled ones with analogs. I guess I will try how they work later, sure unlike the joycons they will not desynch.

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    That's awesome that they're still supporting their controllers with new features. I have a NES30 Pro so this will come in handy.
    I hope they updated the Wii Mode firmware with Switch support as well. I use the Wii support a lot.
    Can't load their website to check, it's being insanely slow.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, May 23, 2017
    B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N likes this.
  4. shaunj66

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    Wanted to love the NES30 Pro but the bluetooth lag, as minuscule as it may be, made it impossible for me to enjoy retro gaming on it. Had to return it sadly.

VinLark and Elrinth like this.
  5. Scarlet

Scarlet It's Basically Christmas

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    Did you never try using it with a wire instead of Bluetooth?

6. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    maybe it was just your device that you were playing on?
    wii, ps3, ps4 etc use bluetooth controllers and i don't notice any lag with my devices

7. UltraDolphinRevolution

UltraDolphinRevolution GBAtemp Regular

Jul 30, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Seems like there are 2 shoulder buttons. Actually the original Classic Controller (Wii) looks similar but has 4 shoulder buttons (2 of them analogue). The placement is weird but actually not bad at all.

8. Scarlet

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    There are four shoulder buttons. L1, L2, R1 and R2. None of them are analogue though.

GamingAori and ShroomKing like this.
  9. Reyn_the_Insane

Reyn_the_Insane Mega Man Fanatic

Feb 1, 2017
    United States
    OVAH DEAH!
    Is 8bitdo's website down? No matter what device I use it won't load their website.

10. Scarlet

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    The site's had a restructure recently, you get the firmware for all devices here now: http://support.8bitdo.com/

11. ut2k4master

ut2k4master Lord Tourettes

Feb 20, 2010
    Germany
    how do they connect to the switch?

12. Scarlet

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
  13. Maciek

Maciek Member

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2013
    Poland
    Warsaw, Poland
    Good to hear that news. I also have nes30 pro controller which I use with my android smartphone without any lags.

14. SG854

SG854 Newbie

Feb 17, 2017
    United States
    Especially gaming on a crt lag is noticeable for me on poor lag handling screens and controllers.

Although I messed up my crt a while back and I'm unsure how to fix it, I have vertical collapse. I messed it up trying to adjust the pots for screen geometry inside, and I accidentally hit the electronic gun with my screw driver, there was a flashing pop, then vertical collapse.

I have a sony pvm which are some of the the highest of high quality screens. Though these are a bit harder to track down then regular consumer crts.
    I luckily got mines for free, I would like to fix it some day.

Last edited by SG854, May 23, 2017
  15. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    I haven't noticed any lag with any of my 8bitdo controllers. Tested on multiple devices.

At any rate this is nice of them to do, and probably will net them some nice sales as a result since buying new controllers for the Switch... So expensive.

16. Mansize

Mansize GBATemp Hardware

GBAtemp Patron
    Mansize is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 18, 2017
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    Not bad. Have at least four of these. However, had to jump through annoying hoops to get them configured for my Retron5, wont likely be changing their config anytime soon.

17. fedehda

fedehda GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    fedehda is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 7, 2017
    Argentina
    At your current screen. And in heaven
    Well, if this is true, it will be a perfect opportunity to buy a 8bitdo controller for once. I love their design and wanted to use them on the RPi3.

18. nilly

nilly Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2007
    Sweden
    Their site is slow, and dont seem to work all that well. Here's a direct link to their download server http://download.8bitdo.com/Firmware/Controller/ .. If you liked this comment, remember to subscribe and give a like on your way out! (I kid, i kid)

Eddypikachu, Jonna and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  19. nilly

nilly Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2007
    Sweden
    EDIT: Anyone else testing this? i get lag from all controllers when my Nes30pro is connected to my switch, even the switch native controllers that is, by itself the Nes30pro works great with the switch, this makes it useless though. If i play alone i would rather use my pro controller.

Gargh, clearly not my day today, can't seem to be able to delete or merge my double post.

Last edited by nilly, May 23, 2017
  20. Elrinth

Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Nov 6, 2002
    Once 8bitdo go bluetooth 5 and stuff starts supporting bluetooth 5 it'll be okay. Right now, these controllers are only good for turn based games IMO. The current transfer rate of bluetooth 2.1 as they are using aswell as distance support prepare for some delay.

2.0:
    2.1Mbit/sec

2.1 compared to 2.0 (no speed boost):
    The changes to Bluetooth in 2.1 were merely enhancements to the features that it already has. The biggest difference between the two is the addition of Secure Simple Pairing (SSP) in Bluetooth 2.1. This addition reduces the number of steps needed in order to pair two devices while making it even more secure.

3.0 compared to 2.0 (and 2.1):
    theoretically 24Mbit/sec
    "Bluetooth 3.0, also known as high speed, is significantly faster than Bluetooth 2.0. Many wireless headphones operate with 3.0 technology which allows for a faster transfer rate at 20 megabits per second, as well as enhanced power control."

4.0 compared to 3.0 (no speed boost):
    When Bluetooth 4.0 was developed, the upgrade boasted a number of additional features like improved connectivity and range

4.1 compared to 4.0 (no speed boost):
    "Bluetooth Low Energy protocol means you can rock your wireless Bluetooth headphones a lot longer. Bluetooth LE allows smart devices to remain connected for longer periods of time without draining the battery. Bluetooth 4.1 took LE to another level."

4.2 compared to 4.1:
    "According to CSR, point two upgrade is said to dramatically increase speed from 27 to 251 bytes which means super speedy downloads that can be up to 2.6 times faster than older Bluetooth versions."

5.0 compared to 4.2:
    "Bluetooth 5.0
    This is the newest grade of Bluetooth that has very recently been released. Bluetooth 5.0 was designed specifically to provide lossless and secure communication as our gadgets and gizmos become more and more technologically advance. This includes the IoT (Internet of Things). How so? Bluetooth 5.0 is the fastest iteration. It processes connections at 2 times the speed over 4 times the range handling over 8 times the amount of data. This means the higher the speed the more responsive high-performance devices will be. The Increased broadcast message size also means more data can be transmitted."

sources: http://majorhifi.com/the-difference-between-bluetooth-3-0-4-0-4-1-4-2-explained/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Bluetooth_2.0_.2B_EDR

Last edited by Elrinth, May 23, 2017
    shaunj66 likes this.