Hacking 8.1J to 9.2J. Even worth the trouble?

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It shouldn't be too difficult:
  • Update to something above 9.2 but below 11.0 (10.x is generally the most stable)
  • Format the console to prevent a softbrick
  • Proceed to downgrade with Cubic Ninja (easy to get a ROM of and easy to install *hax with) via PlaiSysUpdater, and, optionally, get A9LH if you want to go the whole 9 yards, by following Plailect's guide (his guide also covers how to downgrade from 9.3+ if you need help with that)
Sky3DS should make it more or less painless since you can change your toolkit on the fly (i.e. different games).

if you already have cubic, why not just do this?
- update to 9.2 using SOAP method with Cubic

why not skip the upgrade and downgrade process? all files and processes can be found in this post: http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-upgrading-8-1-0-0j-to-9-2-0-20j.384960/page-31#post-5876022

upgrading is a lot more safer than upgrading and then downgrading if you ask me.

Last edited by reiyu,
Reactions: Digmac

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any haxx card must be native to the system region (Although I am unsure about smchax because of its flexibility with payloads...)

Sky3DS is probably your best bet: I'd recommend waiting out Gateway's solution but not only does setting that up also require CN but you'd have to buy the GW card too, so that suggestion is a bit pointless.

mudassirul

Trophies
XP
Country
Since you already have a cfw 3ds isn't the cheapest option besides hardmodding yourself is to import japanese ocarina of time? I'm not exactly sure if can you install oothax on an out of region cart with your o3ds bit if you can to be able to use an upgrade pack and homebrew updater to update to 9.2. Also you may need to delete a file from the upgrade pack as its known to cause bricks!

Digmac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to let everyone know if they didn't see it already earlier on in the thread I already bought a Sky3DS. I'll probably try the method mentioned by @reiyu first and see how it goes.

Reactions: reiyu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5