720p BluRay Discs?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by soulx, Jan 16, 2010.

Jan 16, 2010

720p BluRay Discs? by soulx at 1:57 AM (1,174 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I have a 'Sony KDL32L4000' as my primary television at the moment. Not that good, but it'll do. Anyways, if I purchase a BluRay player, how will the videos look considering that it will only display in 720p. Will the difference between SD be dramatic or barely noticeable. Is a PS3 a good choice for a BluRay player? I think so since it has an upgradeable firmware. Your opinion?

2. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    A PS3 would be good for Blu-Ray, and it also offers games with it [​IMG]

720p will still look great!

3. Sefi

Member Sefi GBAtemp Fan

You'll notice a big difference between SD and 720p. 1080i/p is better but the difference between 1800i/p and 720p is not as noticable as it is between SD and 720p.

A PS3 is a great blu-ray player. If you don't get a PS3 I would recommend any name-brand player that is updatable. I have a PS3 myself and use it mostly for blu-ray, but I do have a few games as well. Don't forget that is also an upconvert DVD player as well, and can play plenty of media such as divx files.

4. omgdaniel

Newcomer omgdaniel Advanced Member

United States
    On a 32" television, you won't be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. Up until the mid 40" televisions you'll see a difference but with something so small it'll be hard. And besides, many blu-rays play at 720p anyhow.

5. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    For movies? I disagree. Blu-ray in 1080p = AMAZING!! but in 720p, it doesn't look too much better than an upscaled DVD IMO.

6. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I guess I'll have to get a new '1080p' television. I'll wait a while.

I was hoping for a major difference from SD.

7. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Well there is SOME difference when it comes to movies, but like ZeWarrior said its not as good as 1080p... this is only considering films.

Bottom Line:

From SD to HD 720p there is a major noticeable difference... which is basically what you want.

8. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I have a 32" HDTV and can tell an ENORMOUS difference between 720p and 1080p. Enormous as in the picture quality is probably at LEAST 40% better looking. It's not quite as much of a leap going from SD to HD, but it's still VERY noticeable.

9. omgdaniel

Newcomer omgdaniel Advanced Member

United States
    Really depends how close you are to the tv.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html