Hacking 6TB External Hard Drive with Power Supply

safailla

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SO I recently purchased a Seagate 6TB EX-HDD with a Power supply, As my 2 TB USB was full. I transferred a few games over and am trying to get them to run on the drive using App2USB. For some reason it isn't working. Is anyone else experiencing this? Do External HDDs not work with App2USB?

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SO I recently purchased a Seagate 6TB EX-HDD with a Power supply, As my 2 TB USB was full. I transferred a few games over and am trying to get them to run on the drive using App2USB. For some reason it isn't working. Is anyone else experiencing this? Do External HDDs not work with App2USB?

Yeah they work, has to not be GPT, and be exFAT.

No partitions.

What you can do now though, is format the Ext drive as extended storage, use VTXHEN 1.7 to move the fpkg games to it, then you can play them off the Ext without apptousb.

It’s the latest craze.

Last edited by KiiWii,

safailla

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
use VTXHEN 1.7 to move the fpkg games to it
So use VTXHEN 1.7 and go through FTP?

Edit* okay so through extended storage, Ill see if it works on another EX-HDD I have and report back

Last edited by safailla,

safailla

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so this is weird... I transferred all of my files over to another HDD and re-formated my 6TB External HDD to Exfat. I reconnected it to the PS4 > Setting > Devices > USB Storage Devices. I plug in my 6TB External HDD and it shows a the file size as 6TB for a split second then changes to 206.5 MB....

I reformatted twice now and there is no other Partition showing. It says its a solid 6TB (with 133mb of un-deletable storage that is most likely system volume information) Is anyone else experiencing this or have a suggestion on how to fix it?

safailla

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so this is weird... I transferred all of my files over to another HDD and re-formated my 6TB External HDD to Exfat. I reconnected it to the PS4 > Setting > Devices > USB Storage Devices. I plug in my 6TB External HDD and it shows a the file size as 6TB for a split second then changes to 206.5 MB....

I reformatted twice now and there is no other Partition showing. It says its a solid 6TB (with 133mb of un-deletable storage that is most likely system volume information) Is anyone else experiencing this or have a suggestion on how to fix it?

PROBLM SOLVED

I am using a MAC and it was not set up to detect hidden partition. when formatting in Exfat apple automatically makes a small 200MB partition. to fix this one must go to parrallels and boot in windows. from there hit command R and bring up the "RUN" search. type in diskmgmt.msc with bringsup windows version of Disk Utility, and you will notice a second partition on your drive. to delete this you must open the command prompt - windows version of Terminal.

Hit command + R again and type in cmd

Type in the following hitting enter after each new line:

diskpart

list disk

select disk #
(Replace # with disk number of your drive)

clean
(make sure you chose the correct disk number as "clean" will completely erase the drive)

exit

Now close out the terminal and hit Command+R again, typing in diskmgmt.msc. the HD will be there but will say unallocated/Unknown/Not Initialized so right click on the disk and click on Initialize Disk. then all you need to do is reformat using windows as Exfat and your golden!

Marvens

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PROBLM SOLVED

I am using a MAC and it was not set up to detect hidden partition. when formatting in Exfat apple automatically makes a small 200MB partition. to fix this one must go to parrallels and boot in windows. from there hit command R and bring up the "RUN" search. type in diskmgmt.msc with bringsup windows version of Disk Utility, and you will notice a second partition on your drive. to delete this you must open the command prompt - windows version of Terminal.

Hit command + R again and type in cmd

Type in the following hitting enter after each new line:

diskpart

list disk

select disk #
(Replace # with disk number of your drive)

clean
(make sure you chose the correct disk number as "clean" will completely erase the drive)

exit

Now close out the terminal and hit Command+R again, typing in diskmgmt.msc. the HD will be there but will say unallocated/Unknown/Not Initialized so right click on the disk and click on Initialize Disk. then all you need to do is reformat using windows as Exfat and your golden!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Your method worked for me; saved me from alot of curse words. My only issue is my Mac book can’t mount the external hardrive and diskurillity can’t force it to mount. any solutions?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D +1