64GB MicroSD released

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Bearpowers, May 26, 2011.

May 26, 2011

64GB MicroSD released by Bearpowers at 10:08 AM (1,835 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Bearpowers
    OP

Member Bearpowers GBAtemp Regular

United States
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/26/kingmax...b-microsd-card/

This is why I hope when the 3DS is cracked it ends up using a flashcart and not the SD card slot.

We need SDXC, and the 3DS slot is only SDHC.

A flashcart could be made to support SDXC cards like this.

3DS games will be upto 8GB eventually so SDHC won't hold much.

Running media from the flashcart will alow more storage for movies and music too, not just 32GB.

2. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    First, the only use of these are not piracy
    Second, These will work with MircoSDHC slots (the 32GB limit is artificial, these are really just SDHC ones that have broken the limit)
    Third, 3DS section?

3. Bearpowers
    OP

Member Bearpowers GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Some people make legit rips of their own games for portability, not piracy.

Are you sure about that limit? I'll wait for more replies

And yes, no other platform has really used MicroSD cards besides the DS, so it makes sense here.

4. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Actually, SDHC and SDXC are the exact same thing electronically. The only difference, other than size (only an issue if there is a hard coded size limit), is tht by default SDXC uses the exFAT filesystem instead of FAT32 because MS decided that any drive above 32GB could not be formatted as FAT32 in Windows. Unfortunately, exFAT is even more closed than NTFS and we all know how long it took to get even read only NTFS support on the Wii and PS3. If you take a 64GB SDXC card and format it as FAT32 using Mac/Linux or a third party tool like guiformat it will work just fine unless the device firmware has a hard coded size limit (i.e. artificially limits the SD card size to 32GB or lower.

In other words, the only reason SDXC exists is because of an artificial limitation imposed by Microsoft in Windows.

5. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    This is absolutely excellent! I Must get one! If it's past the 80 dollar limit then I'll just bide my time...

6. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    That's a good point, Msoft wants limitations on formats and specs so that you'll keep having to buy their Op sytems to use the latest and greatest thing. Clever little devils. [​IMG]

7. Pippin666

Member Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Canada
    I feel perfectly fine with a 16Gb sdhc card. I don't think it will fill up quickly or get out of space anytime soon on a 3DS. Unless some "3DSWare" can be downloaded to the sd card and played from it.

Pip'

8. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

That's not exactly true, there are other differences similar to how SDHC is different to regular SD. SDXC cards (even if formatted to an older filesystem) will not work in SD/SDHC devices without a firmware/software upgrade, and it is highly unlikely that the higher speed SDXC cards will work at all.