Hacking 64GB MicroSD released

Bearpowers

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/26/kingmax...b-microsd-card/

This is why I hope when the 3DS is cracked it ends up using a flashcart and not the SD card slot.

We need SDXC, and the 3DS slot is only SDHC.

A flashcart could be made to support SDXC cards like this.

3DS games will be upto 8GB eventually so SDHC won't hold much.

Running media from the flashcart will alow more storage for movies and music too, not just 32GB.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
First, the only use of these are not piracy
Second, These will work with MircoSDHC slots (the 32GB limit is artificial, these are really just SDHC ones that have broken the limit)
Third, 3DS section?

Bearpowers

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Pi said:
First, the only use of these are not piracy
Second, These will work with MircoSDHC slots (the 32GB limit is artificial, these are really just SDHC ones that have broken the limit)
Third, 3DS section?
Some people make legit rips of their own games for portability, not piracy.

Are you sure about that limit? I'll wait for more replies

And yes, no other platform has really used MicroSD cards besides the DS, so it makes sense here.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Bearpowers said:

This is why I hope when the 3DS is cracked it ends up using a flashcart and not the SD card slot.

Running media from the flashcart will alow more storage for movies and music too, not just 32GB.

Actually, SDHC and SDXC are the exact same thing electronically. The only difference, other than size (only an issue if there is a hard coded size limit), is tht by default SDXC uses the exFAT filesystem instead of FAT32 because MS decided that any drive above 32GB could not be formatted as FAT32 in Windows. Unfortunately, exFAT is even more closed than NTFS and we all know how long it took to get even read only NTFS support on the Wii and PS3. If you take a 64GB SDXC card and format it as FAT32 using Mac/Linux or a third party tool like guiformat it will work just fine unless the device firmware has a hard coded size limit (i.e. artificially limits the SD card size to 32GB or lower.

In other words, the only reason SDXC exists is because of an artificial limitation imposed by Microsoft in Windows.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is absolutely excellent! I Must get one! If it's past the 80 dollar limit then I'll just bide my time...

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
nl255 said:
Bearpowers said:

Actually, SDHC and SDXC are the exact same thing electronically. The only difference, other than size (only an issue if there is a hard coded size limit), is tht by default SDXC uses the exFAT filesystem instead of FAT32 because MS decided that any drive above 32GB could not be formatted as FAT32 in Windows. Unfortunately, exFAT is even more closed than NTFS and we all know how long it took to get even read only NTFS support on the Wii and PS3. If you take a 64GB SDXC card and format it as FAT32 using Mac/Linux or a third party tool like guiformat it will work just fine unless the device firmware has a hard coded size limit (i.e. artificially limits the SD card size to 32GB or lower.

In other words, the only reason SDXC exists is because of an artificial limitation imposed by Microsoft in Windows.
That's a good point, Msoft wants limitations on formats and specs so that you'll keep having to buy their Op sytems to use the latest and greatest thing. Clever little devils.
ph34r.gif

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nl255 said:

That's not exactly true, there are other differences similar to how SDHC is different to regular SD. SDXC cards (even if formatted to an older filesystem) will not work in SD/SDHC devices without a firmware/software upgrade, and it is highly unlikely that the higher speed SDXC cards will work at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup