Hardware 64 GB Micro SD with N3DS

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
SD cards (micro or whatever) are formatted with extFAT, a Microsoft proprietary file system that can't be used on the 3DS systems. However, if it's anything like regular SD cards, you can format the card to use FAT32 instead, and it'll work with the full 64GB. You just won't get SDXC speeds out of it.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
As long as your SDXC has a SDHC support you can format the thing FAT32. You don't want to use the N3DS format SD function, your limited to 32GB.

---

http://filetrip.net/ps3-downloads/tools-utilities/download-gui-fat32format-1-0-f22906.html

http://filetrip.net/ps3-downloads/tools-utilities/download-fat32formatter-1-1-f32426.html

http://filetrip.net/ps3-downloads/tools-utilities/download-fat32format-1-05-f22905.html

These all can format upto 2TB. Why I put them in the ps3 download section, I don't remember.

gamecaptor

R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I'm understanding you correctly, format the 64 GB Micro SD on my PC with FAT32 first, then put it in the New 3DS (which I will pick up on Friday) and it should see the entire 64 GB?

I guess my question really boils down to not so much if the New 3DS will see the entire 64 GB (that would be great if it did) but rather if it will work at all, so I know if I need to go out and pick up a 32 GB MicroSD before Friday or not.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
sure, but i thought it was just a storage medium, nothing at all to do with what filesystem is on it, surely i can put any filesystem that i want on any storage medium... yes?

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The reader/writer also has to support the standard. A SD card reader from 2000 can't read a 4GB SDHC from today.

On the microSD/HC/XC there is a controller chip that tells how to act. For the microSD, this chip would be as small as pinhead or part of the memory module. That would be this thing, as an example:
701px-Sd_insides.png

When that controller drops support for the older standard, it is to save more space for NAND. You end up with a reader/writer that can no longer read a "new and improved" SD/HC/XC.

In terms of reader/writer, that would be your N/3DS, etc.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
The reader/writer also has to support the standard. A SD card reader from 2000 can't read a 4GB SDHC from today.
On the microSD/HC/XC there is a controller chip that tells how to act. For the microSD, this chip would be as small as pinhead or part of the memory module. That would be this thing, as an example:
When that controller drops support for the older standard, it is to save more space for NAND. You end up with a reader/writer that can no longer read a "new and improved" SD/HC/XC.
In terms of reader/writer, that would be your N/3DS, etc.

sure, the reader has to support the storage medium, that makes sense.
i just meant, i'm pretty certain, (if you have a nice disk tool), you can put any filesystem on any storage medium :)

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
i just meant, i'm pretty certain, (if you have a nice disk tool), you can put any filesystem on any storage medium :)
yeah, that is true.

Once you got a microSDXC with no SDHC backward support, it will not matter if you can format that "new and improved" microSDXC with the FAT32, your N3DS will not be able to read and write to it as how I explained it previously.

Reactions: cearp

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah, that is true.

Once you got a microSDXC with no SDHC backward support, it will not matter if you can format that "new and improved" microSDXC with the FAT32, your N3DS will not be able to read and write to it as how I explained it previously.

There is no such thing. The two standards are electronically identical, only the filesystem (and possibly the access speed) has changed.

SD cards (micro or whatever) are formatted with extFAT, a Microsoft proprietary file system that can't be used on the 3DS systems. However, if it's anything like regular SD cards, you can format the card to use FAT32 instead, and it'll work with the full 64GB. You just won't get SDXC speeds out of it.

That is not necessairly true. Some devices have a firmware limit where they either won't see anything above 32GB or won't see the card at all if it is larger than 32GB.

sure, but i thought it was just a storage medium, nothing at all to do with what filesystem is on it, surely i can put any filesystem that i want on any storage medium... yes?

You can, but some devices are programmed not to recognize anything other than exFAT on sd cards larger than 32GB. Yes, that means on some phones if you want to use ext2/ext3/ext4 you must use a 32GB or smaller card.

Reactions: cearp

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There is no such thing. The two standards are electronically identical, only the filesystem (and possibly the access speed) has changed.
Do you even got a EZ-Flash IV with a 4GB miniSD?

What you call "electronically identical" is the bus mode controlled by chip in said image above, this is embedded on a microSD.

See the transfer modes here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Transfer_modes
See also interface

----

Depending on a manufacture of the SDXC, you might only find a SDXC that is locked in Four-bit SD bus mode or has a controller chip with Four-bit SD bus mode functions only, aka a UHS only chip. Why do you think alot of no-name branded flash memory cards suck, they tend to be missing things or do not follow specs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Xdqwerty how are you?