Hacking 6.60ME (leda installed) can't get 1.50 apps working

Retrovertigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the leda.prx in the seplugins folder and have edited the game.txt file.

I can't get any 1.50 stuff to load though. I have leda enabled in the recovery menu. I have asked everywhere but can't get any help sadly. I want to get my 1.50 snes emu working as it is the fastest one by far, but I just get a black screen when I go to load it. Thanks for any help.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Which emulator are you trying to use? Where did you get it from?

(and i'm not so sure you'll find it superior to snes9xtyl mecm...)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The 1.50 emulators aren't faster than the newer ones (for systems that have newer versions, like Genesis/SNES). You might be reading info that's like, 5 years old (and using an old emulator version as well) or something.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Emulation_on_PSP
Check this page for the updated emulators.

The only reason I've seen people need 1.50 for emulators are for one or two emulators for systems nobody's heard of that never got updated because nobody gives enough of a shit to do it.

Retrovertigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could have sworn I had mentioned the emu....doh!

I was using snes9xtyl++beta - the one modified by Ruka. It was absolutely faster than the one I have tried the last couple of days - snes9xtyl 0.42me.

The Ruka one - running on the 1.50 kernel on with 5.00 M33 firmware was way faster. FF6 and Mario RPG ran without a hiccup.

With this newer firmware, and using that emu mentioned above, FF6 stutters going into and out of battles, it slows down during battles, and by quite a lot judging by how much the music slows down. Same with Mario RPG.

I have messed with the settings and it doesn't help. FF6 in particular is really bad. I played the older emu a hell of a lot and was really pleased with it, as were several friends who used it at the time. I have been trying to redownload it in case it was somehow corrupted and that's why it won't run. But it is impossible to find as Ruka never wanted people sharing it other than getting it from his homepage - which has long since vanished.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm still having a hard time believing it's better than mecm. It might be superior to 0.42ME, but i think you're scuppering yourself by not trying alternatives.

What release/build of Ruka's Snes9xtyl++ were you using?

Retrovertigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I don't really want to get drawn into an argument over which was the faster emu :) I'd just love to get it running, as in my own experience - having used both it and the supposed best newer emu, I found it much better :)

For the record, in the release notes, Ruka names it SnesPSP TYL V0.4.2me++ - but the folder is named snes9xTYLbeta++. I can only ever find links to his homepage hosted at infoseek.co.jp. But as I say, it has long since vanished sadly.

Back to leda.prx. What else could I be missing? It has become an obsession now and I want to get it working "just because" :)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Just so we're clear: we don't give a shit about opinions either. :P

I want to do actual scientific tests to see, and prove, which one is faster (I sometimes record comparison videos of emulators to show people which ones are better). If the 1.50 one is actually faster, than it could become recommended in place of the current one.

These tests can't be done unless both are working, however, which is why I have an interest in seeing this work.

Unfortunately, I've never used any 1.50-on-modern-CFW things...

Retrovertigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have just sat messing some more and have found that leaving it on the black screen for a few moments, actually closes the PSP down completely.

If I delete the game.txt file, you can see my PSP accessing the mem card when you try and load the emu, but then you get an error message. As soon as the game.txt file is back, my PSP doesn't attempt to access the mem card to load the emu. It goes straight to a black screen.

I'm starting to think that maybe there is a compatibility issue (seeing as Ruka modified an existing emu) and that is where the real problem lies.

Edit: found a GBA emu which I'm sure is 1.50 kernel as it originally came with a %folder (which I believe was a quirk of earlier 1.50 stuff?) it loads up fine. Suggesting that this snes emu just doesn't want to work with this leda addon? :(

speed wise, all I can tell you is, that until this Ruka release, I had slowdown problems with FF6. With the Ruka emu it ran pretty much perfectly.

With any other emus I have tried the last couple of days, FF6 slows down and, as I said earlier, had long pauses during the start, and closing of battles.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
That video mainly focuses on palette writes because they're the most common framerate killers, but like I said add/sub modes can have a big effect too, and window/limiting stuff. The "mecm" emulator linked on this page has the speedhacks shown in the video so you can try to replicate the effects you saw with the other emulator.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Emulation_on_PSP

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
to do with the mentioned prx have you tried adding it to the vsh.txt?

are you sure the PRX is also enabled?

its been a while but should read

Code:
ms0:/seplugins/INSERTPLUGINNAMEHERE.prx 1

If its showing a 0 at the end change it to a 1

Let me know if this or adding the plugin to the vsh.txt helps, it could be that its needed before it gets fully loaded into psp memory from the XMB

Retrovertigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah leda.prx is set to 1 in the text file. It is enabled in both the recovery and vsh menus. I don't have a vsh.txt file though?

Managed to also find an old txt file reader that used 1.50 kernel as well. That also works fine so I'm resigned to thinking that this particular emu just doesn't like this firmware/leda combination sadly.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah leda.prx is set to 1 in the text file. It is enabled in both the recovery and vsh menus. I don't have a vsh.txt file though?

Managed to also find an old txt file reader that used 1.50 kernel as well. That also works fine so I'm resigned to thinking that this particular emu just doesn't like this firmware/leda combination sadly.

You can manually make one just make a new text file calling it vsh.txt

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not updating to ME to test for just this one game (when LEDA probably isn't compatible), but i am curious where your slowdown occurs. snes9xtylmecm has no slowdown as far a i can see, including going into and out of battles (even set at fullscreen)...i've just done the first couple of battles in the snowy town and they've worked fine.

Retrovertigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's happening at that town with all the battles. As the enemies slide onto the screen from the left (I assume as it loads their sprites), the game slows down a lot - to less than half speed. Then once they are onscreen, it speeds up to normal. Then once the battles are over, just before the screen that tells you what xp and items you may have gained, it slows right down again for couple of seconds. It doesn't sound much, but it is making battles feel really cumbersome when maybe 5-6 seconds is being added to each one.

I've had a mess around with frameskip and lower sound quality, and can get full speed most of the time, but I can't eliminate that slowdown I mention.

With Mario RPG I have eliminated most of it apart from when there are several enemies on the over world. All I can say is, that I didn't have these issues with 5.00M33 firmware and that emu I mentioned.

But no, whatever you do, don't change your firmware just to check. Too much messing for curiosities sake :)

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll see about checking Ruka's ++ modification via the 1.50 kernel when i get a chance (rather than LEDA). It's not much use to you other than comparing the relative speeds of FFVI.

But like i said, there was no slowdown with the mecm build of Sne9xtyl

Reactions: Retrovertigo

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
But no, whatever you do, don't change your firmware just to check. Too much messing for curiosities sake :)

OK....installed the 1.50 Kernel on my 1000 and set up Snes9xtyl 0.42 ME ++ and then compared FFVI side by side with a PSP 2000 using Snes9xtyl mecm. (The ++ release i had was just an eboot and readme archived up together...no other folders or files. There's a number that appears at the top left of the screen when the game starts - it counts up to some figure just over 1000 and stops)

They're nigh on identical (although ++ may be fractionally slower). There's no slowdown (for those first battles in the town) on either console. As it stands i'd therefore suggest you ditch the older homebrew and just go with newer emulators, as mecm is fine for this.

Any other queries?

Retrovertigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No thanks. Just that I have messed around some more with mecm and it keeps doing that horrible lag thing when battles start and end no matter what settings I use. I dd give the euphoria emu a go but that is really slow for me. Enough for me to call it a day as it is just too annoying the way it almost grinds the game to a halt with each battle.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Much appreciated.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
No thanks. Just that I have messed around some more with mecm and it keeps doing that horrible lag thing when battles start and end no matter what settings I use. I dd give the euphoria emu a go but that is really slow for me. Enough for me to call it a day as it is just too annoying the way it almost grinds the game to a halt with each battle.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Much appreciated.

What memory stick are you using? It's not the emulators fault that it's lagging, so it sounds like either your Pro Duo, or the ROM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    LEOtck? Who's he? Never 'erd of the las. :)
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I only show the mirror to people and you all can't stand what you're seeing
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    bunch of bullies
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely see the new Planet of the Apes in a theater too.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely...