6.3 or 7.0?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Inuuto, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Inuuto
    OP

Inuuto Enigmatic

Feb 2, 2010
    United States
    Undernet
    So, I'm currently at 3DS FW 6.3. I just won a giveaway for an eshop game but I'll have to update my 3DS. :/ Do you think I should wait for an exploit for 6.3 and sell the game or update to 7.0 and redeem it? I might as well grab Pokemon X/Y updates too if I update my firmware. You can download game patches before you get the game. I did that with Mario Kart 7.

2. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    I doubt there's going to be an exploit out for 6.3, there doesn't seem to be anyone working on it and if they're starting now they're going to work on the latest firmware rather than a firmware that will become almost impossible to acquire.

3. Drenn

Drenn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 22, 2013
    Canada
    7.0 blocks the mset exploit, meaning that both the stage 1 and 2 exploits have been blocked. So, the prospects are worse. A 6.3 exploit will occur sooner than a 7.0 exploit, assuming a new exploit is found at all. Even so, I would update anyway...

4. CalebW

CalebW Fellow Temper

Jun 29, 2012
    United States
    You may want to dump your nand before you update...

pelago likes this.
  5. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

And how do you presume he'll do that on a 6.3 3DS?

6. CalebW

CalebW Fellow Temper

Jun 29, 2012
    United States
    He solders a few wires to the motherboard and to a sd card adapter, plugs the adapter into his pc, and dumps the nand.

pelago, DinohScene and Sicklyboy like this.
  7. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

Ohhhh I see, that's something any random person can do. ;)

8. CalebW

CalebW Fellow Temper

Jun 29, 2012
    United States
    Wouldn't be too hard for a random person to learn...and if an exploit is ever found in 6.3 then it would be cheaper to downgrade than to buy a new 3DS.

9. inuyasha555

inuyasha555 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Canada
    Update. Unless Nintendo has found some magical exploit in 6.3 and patched it already then there are none that won't work in 7.0.

10. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    Update. If I were a team hacking it, I would concentrate on a vulnerability in the newer firmware. The same exploit would be in the older firmware, therefore making less work.

Note that I'm in no way affiliated with any hacking team.

11. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    It may seem a bit intimidating at first, but it is actually ridiculously easy if you follow the steps right.

12. inuyasha555

inuyasha555 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Canada
    Not if you've never soldered anything before. One wrong move and the system is dead.

13. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    You're explicitly expressing the intimidation part that I mentioned. It's intimidating because, yeah, you *could* mess up your system, and it's scary if you've never done it before.
    But... I've never soldered anything before either. You just need a steady hand and some practice, then nothing can really go wrong, as long as you follow those instructions.

14. Inuuto
    OP

Inuuto Enigmatic

Feb 2, 2010
    United States
    Undernet
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I would dump the NAND if I knew that if I bricked my 3DS I could buy another one, but I'm not really in that position. I''ll update. Hopefully, there's an exploit for the newer firmwares.

Huntereb likes this.
  15. PercentSevenC

PercentSevenC Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Soldering is super easy; it's not like welding or something that takes actual skill. Practice on something you don't care about if you're feeling intimidated.

16. CalebW

CalebW Fellow Temper

Jun 29, 2012
    United States
    There's even a guide for the regular 3DS here.

17. corim123

corim123 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2007
    United States
    Hell, I'd solder it for you for pretty cheap and you'd have a permanenet backup. It's pretty easy but there are plenty of skilled people here who would do it for you. It's pretty simple compared to some of the Xbox 360 RGH points.