Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dnlg8j.jpg

QUOTE said:
Expect a lot more 3D on the PS3.

Sony has made much of its 3D PlayStation 3 initiative since the console was given the capability in June. Now the company is saying exactly how much 3D content is in the pipeline for the console--and it's a lot of content, apparently. Sony Computer Entertainment Europe studio director Mick Hocking told Develop magazine that the electronics giant is readying a wave of 3D games for the PS3.

"We're applying 3D to more than 20 internal games at Sony," said Hocking. "Overall we have more than 50 titles currently being converted into 3D, and this number is growing fast."

Hocking did not mention any specific first-party PS3 3D titles other than Killzone 3, which will ship on February 22, 2011. Tomorrow, one of Sony's highest profile games of this generation, Gran Turismo 5, will launch with 3D support. Other games boasting 3D support include Wipeout HD, Super Stardust HD, PAIN, The Fight: Lights Out, the recently released Sly Collection, and next year's Team Ico Collection.

As far as third parties go, Hocking said Sony was increasing its 3D outreach to them. "We're actively talking to developers and publishers, and we're also offering training to them to help them get up to speed with 3D," he said. "3D isn't just about adding depth to a picture--developers need to know how to get the very best out of the technology on PS3 and we'll ensure that they do."

Source: Gamespot
I wish I had a PS3.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It could easily be patched into older titles too but won't be. TBH the graphics driver could probably do it for them so you could choose to "enhance" older games when you launch them, all that really takes is another camera for the other eye, but again that won't happen.

It is all about adding depth and nothing more. That's all the tech can do. Anything else they say is typical Sony bull that is just vague enough to get by advertising standards bodies in most countries. Better than Apple I guess, almost every ad they run gets pulled by the authorities for lying. They should be forced to run ads explaining that when they are pulled.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine: paying out the ass for a 3D television just to play a shitty game that allows you to obtain constant headaches.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:
Imagine: paying out the ass for a 3D television just to play a shitty game that allows you to obtain constant headaches.

That's why I'm not too interested in big screen 3D. Stereoscopic 3D has always caused headaches in a lot of people, even with those old postcard style pictures, mainly because our brains are expecting a certain distance between each eye and the also expects the images from each eye to be orientated with your head, not the horizon. People hold there heads in all sorts of dodgy positions while sat in front of a TV, I even end up laid down with my head leaned back watching the TV upside down sometimes. Your brain can deal with that easily too but imagine what problems that would cause. Extreme case but I've seen some people with heads cocked at almost 90 degrees when playing games. Unless this does eye tracking as well it won't really be very nice, annoying for anyone else in the room while you're playing, and make 2 player games very annoying.

Also, I think maybe because I've spent so much time playing 3d games and looking at 3d effects, it doesn't seem to add much for me. I actually think head tracking and a normal 3d scene would be more immersive. Again another pointless gimmick though and would really only be cool for PC games seeing as you are normally sat much closer to a smaller screen.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We need a new TV for the living room. Took a look at the 3d tvs. Reminds me of stories of early movies, the audience got scared because they thought a train was going to run over them. With 3d I had that feeling, but after taking the glasses off, it took a while for my eyes to adjust. Glasses are expensive too and a hastle/something that can break. How do the no glasses TV work? How good is the angle views? And hows development in them? Will we see 60+" in the future?

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wtfisausername said:
1) How do the no glasses TV work?
2) How good is the angle views?
3) And hows development in them? ]
4) Will we see 60+" in the future?

1) Like the 3DS.
2) Very narrow, you have to be in exactly the right spot in front of them.
3) Slowly.
4) Probably, but why? How light could you make a headset now? With an actual screen for each eye.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CarbonX13 said:
3D in video games is cool and all... Motorstorm in 3D is amazing; but the cost of that 3DTV is just ridiculous and not worth it.
I don't think they are counting on everyone racing out and buying 3-D televisions just because of this. The idea is probably to have a decent stable of 3-D games already available by the time 3-D televisions start becoming more commonplace in the home.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chris_Skylock said:
who were the idiot who said 3D is a gimick? and now they're adding 3D to their games NAOW??
what are you talking about

they make 3d tv's yet called their own products a gimmick?
not only that but they announced 3D compatibility over a year ago

the 3D update came in june and now they are expanding the library

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
Chris_Skylock said:
who were the idiot who said 3D is a gimick? and now they're adding 3D to their games NAOW??
what are you talking about

they make 3d tv's yet called their own products a gimmick?
not only that but they announced 3D compatibility over a year ago

the 3D update came in june and now they are expanding the library
Only people I know that said that, is on this forum when they heard about the ds2 doing 3D
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hands free vr