Homebrew 4 tricky Wii U Q's - PART 2

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys!

OK, so I've collected a couple of guides on how to hack a Wii U. Certain parts, seems consistent, such as blocking the Nintendo Updates..

After getting a better understanding, I have some more questions regarding the whole hacking thing:

1. Do I need to hack the Wii U first, in order to start the process of loading Homebrew in Wii mode (vWii mode)?
  2. Do I really need to load some CFW (Custom Firmware) in order to eventually play backups of Wii U and vWii games?
  3. Since we need to block Nintendo updates, will that setting then prevent one from buying a DS Virtual Console game (for example to install Haxchi)?
  4. Are Mocha CFW & HaxchiFW basically the same, besides being CFW?

Maybe my questions and the forums answers might help other people with similar questions.

Thanks everyone^_^

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing tricky in here...

Web exploit > either cfw works

Haxchi requires a game purchased.

No cfw needed for back up loading, just patched fw for intallation, unless running fakesigned stuff.

Last edited by KiiWii,

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nothing tricky in here...

Web exploit > either cfw works

Haxchi requires a game purchased.

No cfw needed for back up loading, just patched fw for intallation, unless running fakesigned stuff.

"Tricky" was used to get your attention. Experts won't find it tricky. But for me, who's unsure, it's tricky and I don't want to mess things up.

In what order is your answers by the way...?

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In this case yet again it's called beeing lazy :P Please don't try to glorify that ;)
"Glorify" or not, it is the truth.

Fact you had to go and reply to my thread, shows me enough how much of a life you've got. Nothing better to do, than insult me???

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

For all you :angry:whining:angry: out there: VitaType, KiiWii....:

Like I've said, I've collected and read through many guides regarding this. I have some questions, that ok for you two: VitaType, KiiWii?

I prefer getting the latest information. Not some answer found in some guide dated 5 years ago with outdated information...

Instead of making conclusions, from threads in forums, etc, I want a direct answer. If you feel it has been answered somewhere else, good for you for finding it:toot:.

Those who want to actually help, I thank you.

Now, is it ok for us to get back on topic?

Last edited by WineAnt,

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1. No, you can install homebrew in your vWii without hacking the Wii U. However, you'd need to buy one of a couple specific Wii games to do it. It's easier to hack your Wii U first, and then the vWii.

2. For the vWii yes, you'll absolutely need Homebrew for that (we don't really use the term CFW when it comes to the Wii). For Wii U games, you technically wouldn't need a CFW for "backups" but using one will make it easier IMO, and it'll also allow you to install DLCs.

3. Blocking updates doesn't hinder you from downloading stuff from the eShop.

4. Mocha CFW has some additional features like FAT support and redNAND, neither of which you can really make use of. Just use Haxchi.

Reactions: WineAnt

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Do I need to hack the Wii U first, in order to start the process of loading Homebrew in Wii mode (vWii mode)?
No but it's recommended, since a hacked WiiU can use wuphax, else you will need one of about 5 exploitable Wii games (and an SD card for both ways)

Do I really need to load some CFW (Custom Firmware) in order to eventually play backups of Wii U and vWii games?
Recommended again, due to higher game compatibility (clean bluray dumps plus updates and free dlc, versus literally everything)

Since we need to block Nintendo updates, will that setting then prevent one from buying a DS Virtual Console game (for example to install Haxchi)?
You can use the wiiU homebrew NNUPatcher to temporarily allow eShop to bypass any custom DNS

Are Mocha CFW & HaxchiFW basically the same, besides being CFW?
The minicfws of Haxchi/CBHC do not support rednand, which only really brings disadvantages (no Vwii) and complications (updating, titles being installed in only one OS) anyway

Not some answer found in some guide dated 5 years ago with outdated information...
No real WiiU guide was out there 5 years ago, not even 3 :D
The scene really developed last october, before there was no game installation at all (due to unknowingly bad dumps) and no cfw or full filesystem access

Last edited by Ryccardo,
Reactions: WineAnt

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"Glorify" or not, it is the truth.

Fact you had to go and reply to my thread, shows me enough how much of a life you've got. Nothing better to do, than insult me???

For all you :angry:whining:angry: out there: VitaType, KiiWii....:

Like I've said, I've collected and read through many guides regarding this. I have some questions, that ok for you two: VitaType, KiiWii?

I prefer getting the latest information. Not some answer found in some guide dated 5 years ago with outdated information...

Instead of making conclusions, from threads in forums, etc, I want a direct answer. If you feel it has been answered somewhere else, good for you for finding it:toot:.

Those who want to actually help, I thank you.

Now, is it ok for us to get back on topic?
Your point about outdated guides may be true for other systems or other websites but the wiiu guides especially Kaflukes are updated the minute anything new is discovered. Also Kaflukes guide is the best you will find it also pretty much answers any question you may have.

Kaflukes guide was updated just 2 days ago with new info.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Your point about outdated guides may be true for other systems or other websites but the wiiu guides especially Kaflukes are updated the minute anything new is discovered. Also Kaflukes guide is the best you will find it also pretty much answers any question you may have.

Kaflukes guide was updated just 2 days ago with new info.

Super:)

That is correct. I don't just make use of one site to get answers. Google gives me results from all over the web. Not just this one..

Last edited by WineAnt,

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No but it's recommended, since a hacked WiiU can use wuphax, else you will need one of about 5 exploitable Wii games (and an SD card for both ways)

Recommended again, due to higher game compatibility (clean bluray dumps plus updates and free dlc, versus literally everything)

You can use the wiiU homebrew NNUPatcher to temporarily allow eShop to bypass any custom DNS

The minicfws of Haxchi/CBHC do not support rednand, which only really brings disadvantages (no Vwii) and complications (updating, titles being installed in only one OS) anyway

No real WiiU guide was out there 5 years ago, not even 3 :D
The scene really developed last october, before there was no game installation at all (due to unknowingly bad dumps) and no cfw or full filesystem access
Thanks for your reply.

THUMBS UP!

1. No, you can install homebrew in your vWii without hacking the Wii U. However, you'd need to buy one of a couple specific Wii games to do it. It's easier to hack your Wii U first, and then the vWii.

2. For the vWii yes, you'll absolutely need Homebrew for that (we don't really use the term CFW when it comes to the Wii). For Wii U games, you technically wouldn't need a CFW for "backups" but using one will make it easier IMO, and it'll also allow you to install DLCs.

3. Blocking updates doesn't hinder you from downloading stuff from the eShop.

4. Mocha CFW has some additional features like FAT support and redNAND, neither of which you can really make use of. Just use Haxchi.
Thanks for your reply. THUMBS UP!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SMG4 @ SMG4: hi