Hacking 4.2 Update to 4.3

pawan98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Quick question, will updating from 4.2 to 4.3 do anything like brick my wii? I know it will get rid of my hacks, but i'll just hack it with the updated versions. Also, can you softmod your wii with only a USB, and not a SD card?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pawan98 said:
Quick question, will updating from 4.2 to 4.3 do anything like brick my wii?Nope, it will not brick your Wii unless you power off your Wii during the update.

pawan98 said:
I know it will get rid of my hacks, but i'll just hack it with the updated versions.If you have version 1.0.8 or version 1.0.7 of the Homebrew Channel installed on your Wii, it will not be erased when you update. You will, however, need to reinstall any cIOS files you use.

QUOTE(pawan98 @ Mar 3 2011, 10:39 AM)
Also, can you softmod your wii with only a USB, and not a SD card?
It's the other way around. Every exploit I can think of requires that you use an SD card, not a USB device, to install the Homebrew Channel. However, as long as you have version 1.0.8 or 1.0.7 of the Homebrew Channel, as I mentioned earlier, you will still have the Homebrew Channel after you update.

I should point out that there is no reason to update to 4.3. You can use ModMii to install the latest IOS files, shop channel, etc. Version 4.1 was the last system menu to offer anything other than anti-homebrew; 4.2 and 4.3 are pointless.

pawan98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh is it? The main point of me updating was so I could get access to the Wii Shop Channel. Is there a tutorial out there that can help me use ModMii and install the latest IOS's.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pawan98 said:
Oh is it? The main point of me updating was so I could get access to the Wii Shop Channel. Is there a tutorial out there that can help me use ModMii and install the latest IOS's.
Download and install ModMii, type "I Agree" when it asks for it, choose the first option (ModMii Wizard), tell it your Wii is not a virgin, tell it you're on O - Other (under 2.2) even though it's a lie, tell it your region, choose 4.1 (will include the latest IOS files from 4.3b), choose any channels that need to be updated (like the Shop Channel), choose Yes when it asks if you would like to download any of the following, choose whatever you want (but I suggest you at least choose the recommended cIOS and cMIOS files), download the files, and install.

pawan98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh and sorry for all those question, last question, will ModMii work if I run it on USB, or is it SD-card only?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pawan98 said:
Oh and sorry for all those question, last question, will ModMii work if I run it on USB, or is it SD-card only?
The applications ModMii outputs should work on USB. It is recommended that you use version 1.0.8 of the Homebrew Channel and that it run on IOS58 if you are running homebrew applications on a USB drive (as opposed to IOS61). IOS58 will be installed with ModMii if you don't already have it.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
The only part of the softmodding process that absolutely requires an sd card is the exploit itself, if u already have the HBC installed, then u can do everything using a FAT32 hard drive. Oh yeah, a very important part of brick protection is installing bootmii @ boot2 (if possible) and making a nand backup (using either bootmii as boot2 or bootmii as IOS), both of which require an sd card. Oh yea, enabling priiloader system menu hacks via a FAT32 hard drive has mixed results, whereas it always finds the hacks if using an sd card. Long story short, I would recommend u spend the 5-10 bucks and buy a small SD card... but it may not be necessary, but definitely recommended

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, That is definitely exciting news. +1