3ds xl - sd card reader not working

hfiani

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hello, so i have been having an issue with a 3ds xl sd card reader, it says: "Cannot display the software on the SD card", i tried different sd cards with same error, and these same cards work on another 3ds, so clearly a problem there, also i replaced the sd card reader, and same issue, so it seems coming from the board. what i noticed is that without any card inserted, the VDD pin (6th pin) has 3.7V which is great, but when i insert the card it becomes 0V.

any ideas about this issue? any other questions that can help solve this?

thanks

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello, so i have been having an issue with a 3ds xl sd card reader, it says: "Cannot display the software on the SD card", i tried different sd cards with same error, and these same cards work on another 3ds, so clearly a problem there, also i replaced the sd card reader, and same issue, so it seems coming from the board. what i noticed is that without any card inserted, the VDD pin (6th pin) has 3.7V which is great, but when i insert the card it becomes 0V.

any ideas about this issue? any other questions that can help solve this?

thanks
Option 1: get a Q-Tip, dip it in isopropyl alcohol, and clean the SD Card terminals, as well as the inside of the reader, and see if it works.
Option 2: If the above doesn't work, reformat the SD Card with Rufus, the default Windows Formatter sometimes may not be good enough.
Option 3: If none of the above works, you may have to replace the SD Card reader.

Good luck! and only open your 3DS if you have to!

hfiani

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
thank you for your reply, but obviously you did not fully read my message:
option 1: irrelevant since I changed the sd card reader, so 2 card readers with same issue
option 2: the sd card worked on another 3ds, and i tried several sd cards. so not this issue either
option 3: already changed it.

so my issue comes from the motherboard

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thank you for your reply, but obviously you did not fully read my message:
option 1: irrelevant since I changed the sd card reader, so 2 card readers with same issue
option 2: the sd card worked on another 3ds, and i tried several sd cards. so not this issue either
option 3: already changed it.

so my issue comes from the motherboard
You just diagnosed it yourself. Unfortunately your best bet now is to look on EBay for a new 3DS

hfiani

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't care about a new 3ds, i have another board already and another 3ds working. so not the issue. but i am sure something in the motherboard is not right, and i know i can fix it, however i am unable to locate the problem

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care about a new 3ds, i have another board already and another 3ds working. so not the issue. but i am sure something in the motherboard is not right, and i know i can fix it, however i am unable to locate the problem
There are hundreds of knock off SD Cards out there. What brand is yours?

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
3.7V is not right. It should be close to 3.3V. Make sure you measured the right point.

Also make sure the lock switch detection is working correctly. Press the SD into the slot with a bit force and see if that helps.

Reactions: Plazorn

hfiani

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
3.7V is not right. It should be close to 3.3V. Make sure you measured the right point.

Also make sure the lock switch detection is working correctly. Press the SD into the slot with a bit force and see if that helps.
You're probably right and it is 3.3V and i remembered wrong. But i remember it was the corrext voltage. But when card is inserted all pins go to 0V (last pin is 3V without card)

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
The 3DS can turn off the power of the SD slot which is possibly what it's doing if the SD card initialization fails to save power.

hfiani

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
mmm, ok good info. any ideas what section of the motherboard is connected to the sd card reader? i can compare roughly the components with another board (i know it does not work like that, but i managed to save a phone like that before, so worth trying) or if someone knows where are the test points connected to the card reader. (i found those of the game slot, charger, power, the 3 buttons, some leds, but not card reader)
thanks

Landsat

Trophies
XP
Country
France
mmm, ok good info. any ideas what section of the motherboard is connected to the sd card reader? i can compare roughly the components with another board (i know it does not work like that, but i managed to save a phone like that before, so worth trying) or if someone knows where are the test points connected to the card reader. (i found those of the game slot, charger, power, the 3 buttons, some leds, but not card reader)
thanks
Hi did you solve your problem ?
I have more less the same issue, my sd card reader cannot write, so i wouild like to replace it.
Where did you bought yours ?

Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey