3DS XL screen looks like crap!

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by aiat_gamer, Sep 24, 2013.

1. aiat_gamer
    OP

aiat_gamer GBAtemp Fan

May 1, 2008
    Iran
    I had a NDS lite a long time ago for about 8 months and I remember it very fondly! Lately I thought I would relive those days and got myself a 3DS XL! Now it is probably because how screens have advanced so much these days, but the moment I turned the 3DS on I thought: Wow, this looks really bad!
    Considering how Vita is much more powerful and has an awesome screen, and it is the same price as 3DS xl, I cant help to wonder how Nintendo is screwing their customers by releasing a product like this...

2. ßleck

ßleck Console Peasant

Jun 4, 2013
    Netherlands
    I don't know. Help.
    WARNING! SPOILERS INSIDE

It looks fine to me^_^

3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    *Reads OP*

*Plays on 3DS XL*

What was the problem again?

Ethevion likes this.
  4. XiTaU

XiTaU GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2008
    United States
    3ds screen is fine for the power of the system colours are vibrant and picture is clear. No point having a high res screen in a system which doesnt have the power to utilise it.

the_randomizer likes this.
  5. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Don't like the 3DS XL, then sell it on eBay or Craigslist and get a DS Lite or a Vita instead. You know, since the screen on the XL is "crappy" ;)

*Goes back to playing Mario Kart on the 3DS XL*

Duo8 and EyeZ like this.
  6. EyeZ

EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

Dec 4, 2009
    Pretty much yeah.

Or perhaps try before you buy, dunno what the TC was trying to achieve with his statement.

the_randomizer likes this.
  7. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    The screen is not bad.

yuyuyup likes this.
  8. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    The XL is for people that WANTED a bigger screen. It doesn't enhance pixels for the new screen size or anything. If you don't want stretched/whatever-the-correct-term-is images, the regular 3DS is for you. Go exchange it, quickly!
    If that's even what the TC is talking about.

9. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    Maybe your screen for the XL came in broken.. To have that positive of a negative reaction almost seems entirely impossible to me since I love my XL screen and can't think of a single complaint.

fossda and the_randomizer like this.
  10. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    ... are you playing DS games? If so, hold Start/Select when starting them up to disable the stretching.

11. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    XL working like a charm here.

12. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    I did notice my 3DS XL screen does seem to have some more... uh... not sure of the term... but stuff looking a little weird/blurryish when moving or scrolling... than the same game on my original DS. But certainly not enough to make the screen "bad". My PSP screen has the same thing, but moreso, it's just something LCD's do, but apparently it wasn't as bad on the first DS. In all other ways the XL has way better screens though, and it took me like 10 months to even notice this issue, so whatever.

It's not an issue with the screen size or "stretching" since 1:1 mode does it too.

Celice likes this.
  13. Koldur

Koldur Virtual Boy Ambassador

Feb 2, 2008
    Netherlands
    Nobody here understands that the OP is a Vita fanboy and came here to troll? Have fun playing your Vita though OP.

14. aiat_gamer
    OP

aiat_gamer GBAtemp Fan

May 1, 2008
    Iran
    :huh:, huh...I did not expect this reaction! I am not a Vita fan, if I was I wouldn't buy a 3DS XL instead of a Vita. The problem for me is that I have gotten used to crisp and clear lcd screens, 3DS XL screen looks all pixel-ly to me...It is from the old generation. Imagine the screen on the ipad one vs ipad 3 and you get the idea. You can actually see the small pixels on the 3DS XL screen which is not good!

15. The_Hulkster

The_Hulkster GBAtemp Regular

Sep 25, 2008
    I understand what you mean.
    This is the exact reason which keeps me from buying a 3DS console of any kind.

With the high resolution screens these days, be it on a product by Apple or Samsung or any other company, the 3DS just doesn't cut it anymore.

Although the library of games it has makes it rather tempting to buy.

Been mulling over this the last month or so.

16. jacksprat1990

jacksprat1990 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    You could always sell the XL and get the regular 3DS which is cheaper and it uses the same resolution. Given the fact that it has a smaller screen, the pixels will appear to be smaller.

The new Vita model will have an inferior screen to what the existing model uses.

17. BlueStar

BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 10, 2006
    UK
    I don't know if it's the resolution as much as a side effect of the 3D ability that makes everything look... I dunno, a bit dim? A bit like the glass is tinted slightly and everything's a little dark and distant.

18. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    In all fairness, the OP has a point. Comparing the 3DS XL to the 3DS, the jump in screen size without an increase in resolution results in visible lines across the screen, because the vertical pixel spacing is bad. It's very noticeable with text, which looks pretty bad on the XL but not so bad on the standard model. When you've played with the console for a while, you tend not to notice it anymore.

Go play some games and fuggedaboudit.

cearp likes this.
  19. darkreaperofdrea

darkreaperofdrea GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 27, 2010
    Mexico
    Batcave pl0x
    Yup
    I personally preffer the regular 3DS, but since I gave it to my brother nd the Pokemon XL is coming out I just bought that

20. pasc

pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Hmm playing Metroid Prime Hunters on tge 3DS is crisp enough.

*shrugs*