Hardware 3DS XL screen looks like crap!

aiat_gamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
I had a NDS lite a long time ago for about 8 months and I remember it very fondly! Lately I thought I would relive those days and got myself a 3DS XL! Now it is probably because how screens have advanced so much these days, but the moment I turned the 3DS on I thought: Wow, this looks really bad!
Considering how Vita is much more powerful and has an awesome screen, and it is the same price as 3DS xl, I cant help to wonder how Nintendo is screwing their customers by releasing a product like this...

XiTaU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3ds screen is fine for the power of the system colours are vibrant and picture is clear. No point having a high res screen in a system which doesnt have the power to utilise it.

Reactions: the_randomizer

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The XL is for people that WANTED a bigger screen. It doesn't enhance pixels for the new screen size or anything. If you don't want stretched/whatever-the-correct-term-is images, the regular 3DS is for you. Go exchange it, quickly!
If that's even what the TC is talking about.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did notice my 3DS XL screen does seem to have some more... uh... not sure of the term... but stuff looking a little weird/blurryish when moving or scrolling... than the same game on my original DS. But certainly not enough to make the screen "bad". My PSP screen has the same thing, but moreso, it's just something LCD's do, but apparently it wasn't as bad on the first DS. In all other ways the XL has way better screens though, and it took me like 10 months to even notice this issue, so whatever.

It's not an issue with the screen size or "stretching" since 1:1 mode does it too.

Reactions: Celice

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nobody here understands that the OP is a Vita fanboy and came here to troll? Have fun playing your Vita though OP.

aiat_gamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
:huh:, huh...I did not expect this reaction! I am not a Vita fan, if I was I wouldn't buy a 3DS XL instead of a Vita. The problem for me is that I have gotten used to crisp and clear lcd screens, 3DS XL screen looks all pixel-ly to me...It is from the old generation. Imagine the screen on the ipad one vs ipad 3 and you get the idea. You can actually see the small pixels on the 3DS XL screen which is not good!

The_Hulkster

Trophies
XP
Country
I understand what you mean.
This is the exact reason which keeps me from buying a 3DS console of any kind.

With the high resolution screens these days, be it on a product by Apple or Samsung or any other company, the 3DS just doesn't cut it anymore.

Although the library of games it has makes it rather tempting to buy.

Been mulling over this the last month or so.

jacksprat1990

Trophies
XP
Country
You could always sell the XL and get the regular 3DS which is cheaper and it uses the same resolution. Given the fact that it has a smaller screen, the pixels will appear to be smaller.

The new Vita model will have an inferior screen to what the existing model uses.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know if it's the resolution as much as a side effect of the 3D ability that makes everything look... I dunno, a bit dim? A bit like the glass is tinted slightly and everything's a little dark and distant.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
In all fairness, the OP has a point. Comparing the 3DS XL to the 3DS, the jump in screen size without an increase in resolution results in visible lines across the screen, because the vertical pixel spacing is bad. It's very noticeable with text, which looks pretty bad on the XL but not so bad on the standard model. When you've played with the console for a while, you tend not to notice it anymore.

Go play some games and fuggedaboudit.

Reactions: cearp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: They're made with left over pancake/wafle batter, that's been sitting out all day.