Hardware 3DS won't work off charger

BigBobbyB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
http://imgur.com/a/uUBCj

Have tested two batteries -- both show good voltage.

Console shows as charging with the flashing symbol (background looks full) but will immediately turn off when disconnected from power.

I've tested the charging port, shows good voltage coming through at the port.

The pads for the charging show 0v and the pins show me .6V -- I'm not sure why this is. The system won't turn on unless there's a battery in the system so I'm not sure if it's a demo unit.

Last edited by BigBobbyB,

Blue

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most likely a kiosk unit. They cannot work without a charger but there is a solution, whih is usiing an extended battery pack but that is useless as it is the price of a brand new 3DS.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Normal 3DS units do not have that 3D slider sticker and when charged have the second light next to the blue one, orange to indicate
that it is charging.

Last edited by Blue,
Reactions: SmileCitrus

BigBobbyB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Most likely a kiosk unit. They cannot work without a charger but there is a solution, whih is usiing an extended battery pack but that is useless as it is the price of a brand new 3DS.

So do you think this has any value to anyone considering it as a collectors item? It cost me £33, so not very much. If I could sell it on for maybe £10 profit I'd be happy enough. Do you think putting custom firmware on would help? I'm really just trying to decide what to do with it right now.

Also, it may not be clear from the images, but there is an orange light beside the blue one, it just stays on all the time the same as the blue one. The charge icon, however, looks full.

Last edited by BigBobbyB,

BigBobbyB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Another strange thing I've noticed is that the battery itself seems to be warm when the device is plugged in, which suggests to me that it's getting some juice. So the issue becomes, the device can't start without the power cable.

It's unfortunate other threads I've read on 3DS consoles with similar symptoms never seem to get much further than this.

When the console is turned off i.e. pressing power and then 'power off' on the lower screen, it'll switch itself on again after a few seconds. I'm pretty convinced this is a kiosk unit now, rather than faulty.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Pretty sure anyone buying the switch just for that got duped