Homebrew 3DS used as controller?

PootisMcPootbird

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Are there any recently updated programs which allow my 3DS to be used as a controller, or did the console's 11.15 update break most of the programs that already exist?

Eveldee

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It should be still possible using Sono's 3DSControllerPlus and my desktop client for it Eveldee.3DSCPlusViGEm but you need to find the correct version of Sono's homebrew (I would say the Linux Controller one?) to make it work, if you can't find it I maybe can help you since I have one CIA laying on my PC but I don't know if it's the correct version (or maybe I can dump the one installed on my 3DS? I don't know how)

PootisMcPootbird

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
It should be still possible using Sono's 3DSControllerPlus and my desktop client for it Eveldee.3DSCPlusViGEm but you need to find the correct version of Sono's homebrew (I would say the Linux Controller one?) to make it work, if you can't find it I maybe can help you since I have one CIA laying on my PC but I don't know if it's the correct version (or maybe I can dump the one installed on my 3DS? I don't know how)

Well, I'll take notice of using the Linux build, but I tried using your program with Sono's Osu!Controller.

Perhaps it didn't work because I'm using an O3DS?

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Well, why not ask the man himself?

@Sono, can you answer a quick question? Does your program only work with New versions, or also with Old versions?

I only have two homebrew which only work on new3DS only: an unreleased version of HzMod, and the early version of CTR_Redshift which only works on new3DS by abusing the power saving mode (which was superseded by newer CTR_Redshift which works on old3DS as well).

Although one limitation is that old3DS can't handle video and input streaming at the same time, but if the video is low FPS then it can handle it somewhat.

The 3DS side of 3DSControllerPlus is in the download center, but the new version of the PC program is still under development due to weird mouse drifting issues.

Edit:
Make sure you use the Linux Controller one, as only that version has Circle Pad support.
The osu!Controller one is for low-latency touchscreen and button input, and everything else is omitted for increased performance.

PootisMcPootbird

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Make sure you use the Linux Controller one, as only that version has Circle Pad support.
The osu!Controller one is for low-latency touchscreen and button input, and everything else is omitted for increased performance.

After some testing and troubleshooting with both the Linux and Osu!Controller, I can say that on the Old 3DS, they do not work.

I have also noticed that when I open either program, the screens are torn, until I connect using Eveldee's program. In his program, it does say I'm connected, and in your programs, screens go black, like I believe it should, but no input is received, not even the touchscreen. Perhaps that screen tearing has something to do with the problem?

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
After some testing and troubleshooting with both the Linux and Osu!Controller, I can say that on the Old 3DS, they do not work.

I have also noticed that when I open either program, the screens are torn, until I connect using Eveldee's program. In his program, it does say I'm connected, and in your programs, screens go black, like I believe it should, but no input is received, not even the touchscreen. Perhaps that screen tearing has something to do with the problem?

It does work on old3DS. If it doesn't work, then there is something else that is the problem.

It's normal for one of the screens to contain garbage, and it's just something visual, it doesn't mean something is actually wrong (although in most cases it would mean something is wrong, but here it's completely intentional). If you use video streaming, then it displays the last video frame.

The screen IS supposed to go black (unless you're streaming a video), it is done to preserve the battery, as you most likely won't be looking at the 3DS, and the text printed on the screen is useless during use.

Reactions: Eveldee

PootisMcPootbird

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
It's normal for one of the screens to contain garbage, and it's just something visual, it doesn't mean something is actually wrong (although in most cases it would mean something is wrong, but here it's completely intentional). If you use video streaming, then it displays the last video frame.

The screen IS supposed to go black (unless you're streaming a video), it is done to preserve the battery, as you most likely won't be looking at the 3DS, and the text printed on the screen is useless during use.

Well, then I guess the only way we could find out more about what's wrong is me recording the process of connecting the PC to the 3DS. I'll get to that tommorow/later on today (4:38 AM here, lol)

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I believe i did manage to play zelda wind waker on my O3DS streaming the image from my pc at like 0.5FPS once. But maybe i don't remember things right, maybe it was just the image, or maybe i was just controlling the game on PC? i don't wanna spread lies so take my words with a grain of salt. I did try those softwares before so i'll follow the thread and see how this develops.

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I believe i did manage to play zelda wind waker on my O3DS streaming the image from my pc at like 0.5FPS once. But maybe i don't remember things right, maybe it was just the image, or maybe i was just controlling the game on PC? i don't wanna spread lies so take my words with a grain of salt. I did try those softwares before so i'll follow the thread and see how this develops.

There was FileStreamer.exe which could stream video to the 3DS at acceptable speed and latency, but you might be wrong about the old3DS part, as if you stream video to the old3DS, button input will no longer work, and there is a huge input delay.

Even on new3DS, if you stram video, it will eventually disconnect due to overloading the network stack.

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Even on new3DS, if you stram video, it will eventually disconnect due to overloading the network stack.
I do recall it failed after a little while. Maybe i was just streaming the screen then? i honestly don't remember well. I've tried almost everything shared in this forum but as i said i don't recall properly how it went. It was kinda complex, trying a bunch of different homebrews both on 3DS and PC, commands on CMD, until it finally worked.

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I do recall it failed after a little while. Maybe i was just streaming the screen then? i honestly don't remember well. I've tried almost everything shared in this forum but as i said i don't recall properly how it went. It was kinda complex, trying a bunch of different homebrews both on 3DS and PC, commands on CMD, until it finally worked.

That sounds like you didn't actually stream the sreen, and you encountered the bug where I would accidentally overload networking with the amount of useless network events.

It was an oversight in the code on the 3DS side, and I have fixed it very recently. Check the download center for the bugfixed versions.

Even if you did actually stream the screen, still download the latest version, as I have fixed the bug where you needed to time video streaming extremely precisely with the input connection for the screen to stay on.
With the bugfix, the screen *finally* turns on on streaming, and turns off when you stop streaming.

Reactions: placebo_yue

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since