Hacking 3DS Updates and Flashcarts - A FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyvin17

Trophies
XP
Country
having a bad day because i updated my 3ds to 4.0.9-U and i cant open my GEi.. I just bought my 3ds last 2 weeks and my son wants to play his games.. but i think i already upgraded GEi.. i upgraded the
Releasing GEi kernel update for DSi 1.44(1.45/C) and 3DS 4.0.0.7 2012-04-25

need help here.. :( :( :(

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
having a bad day because i updated my 3ds to 4.0.9-U and i cant open my GEi.. I just bought my 3ds last 2 weeks and my son wants to play his games.. but i think i already upgraded GEi.. i upgraded the
Releasing GEi kernel update for DSi 1.44(1.45/C) and 3DS 4.0.0.7 2012-04-25

need help here.. :( :( :(

thats becasue that card does not work yet on 4.2.0-9
(full list here http://gbatemp.net/topic/302773-firmware-update-compilation-thread/)

you updated the card to work on 4.0.0-7
as you can see thats a lower number than the current firmware

there is no way to downgrade the console
and you cannot update the card with a console thats on a higher firmware than it works on (DSTwo can but its awkward method)

you will have to wait till a update for your card is available and then updat ethe card on another console

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Q: I have already updated my 3DS before updating my flashcart! What should I do now?
A: Get a DS phat or lite, as these will never block flashcarts which can run on the 3DS. If you can't find one get a spare DSi or 3DS which is not as updated (i.e. is not already blocking your cart). Run your flashcart update on these instead.

(Alternatively if you have a Supercard DSTWO you can try this solution, BUT ONLY IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO UPDATE USING THE METHOD ABOVE.)
Just wanted to say that this "alternate" method works flawlessly. Thanks, I thought I was done for! :)

gundalf

Trophies
XP
Country
I got now my 3DX XL and it sports 3.1.0-6E, my Acecard2i works perfectly but sadly i have to give it up since the OS forces for the Data Transfer an System Update on both Units.
Oh well i guess its time to buy an second hand DS Lite.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I currently have the R4isdhc silver beta, do I need to buy a new card or are they still creating firmware for this?
I suggest buying a new card, anything on this thread
I would suggest going with the R4i Gold (url on Card: http://r4ids.cn/) it has some of the fastest updates around and is actually a really one of the best budget cards around.

mybluered

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cartmanuk,please keep away from cards released by r4isdhc.com. I have the same problem as Natsu Dragneel. We have the old r4isdhc_silver.They have declared in their official forum that they will stop updating the kernel and releasing the updating patch for r4isdhc_silver. Maybe all of us should stay away from cards released by this site.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Q: I have already updated my 3DS before updating my flashcart! What should I do now?
A: Get a DS phat or lite, as these will never block flashcarts which can run on the 3DS. If you can't find one get a spare DSi or 3DS which is not as updated (i.e. is not already blocking your cart). Run your flashcart update on these instead.

(Alternatively if you have a Supercard DSTWO you can try this solution, BUT ONLY IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO UPDATE USING THE METHOD ABOVE.)
Just wanted to say that this "alternate" method works flawlessly. Thanks, I thought I was done for! :)
The thing is you need to wait for 3 minutes. Normally I'll wait for 5 by watching some smosh/epic meal.

fallhd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey ive had the r4sdhc dual-core smart update for a few months now, does any1 know if theres a update for it compatible with the new 3ds update.

ok i believe i found the update on this site, ((4.3.0-10) R4isdhc Dual-Core (r4isdhc.com) - 4.3.0-10 Update) can any1 give me a step by step on how to update.

nevermind found the instructions and did the update successfully.

im 12 im hacker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a r4i sdhc for my 3ds. I updated my 3ds before my flashcard and i tried to do that method and the one of r4i sdhc.com but when i insert the flashcard and i switch on my ds lite it freezes before getting in the flashcard menu. Please, help me. And sorry for my english, im spanish

MadNinjaP7

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Hi people!!! ^^

I buyed a new 3DS XL and it came with 3.1.0-6E, I didn't update because I know updates are never a smart thing to do when we are considering to hack something.
I already saw the Hacking for newbies topic, it was nothing new... but this topic is really helpfull, I want to thank everybody here for collecting information and exposing the knowledge.

I want to buy a FlashCard, the one that looks the best for me its DSTWO, although it is expensive, it is safer and more powerfull. I just want to ask a few questions about it though.

How many FPS does it have while playing GBA and SNES roms?

Can it play GBC roms?

Can I play online with it? For example: Pokémon Black. If not, can tell me a flashcard that can.

And for last but not least important... Which is the cheapest and safest site do buy it (pre-updated to newest would be nice), keeping in mind that I live in Europe.

:yay:

MadNinjaP7

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
FPS varies depending on the game, for most it's almost fullspeed, for others it's ~80% speed.

GBC ROMs are played using Goomba Color and such, just like other flash carts.

Yes, online works on all modern flash carts.

Dunno' sites for europe.

Thank you very much!

I can buy from America too with Credit Card :creep: I just want:
Cheap price
Safe
Free Shipping if possible
Pre-Updated if possible

I dont think SuperCard DSTWO is that expensive. Here a game is about 49€/60$ while DSTWO will probably cost me over 30€/37$ without shipping cost. :blink:

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the people calling the DSTwo expensive dunno' what they're talking about. An SNES flash cart can run for $150 easily, it's only DS flash carts that are so cheap, and it's recent (the early models were easily $50+ from what I read, for way less functionality).

Anyways I don't know of any shops that ship safely to the EU, what with the UK's ban on importing them and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, :creep: