1. raynelogens
    OP

raynelogens GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2009
    United States
    Is it safe to update the 3DS to the newest firmware if you have CFW? I want to play Animal Crossing online but the system won't let me until I update. I don't want to update and loose my CFW though.

2. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 AyyMDionicio3

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    You need to update your CFW first, but yes, it's perfectly safe

3. E1ite007

E1ite007 GBATemp's Acid Techno DJ And Producer

Nov 19, 2016
    Mexico
    Make sure Luma3DS is in version 9.1 (you can check by powering on the console while the Select button is pressed), and if it's correct, then you're good to go.
    No big banning risk (the usual, just don't cheat online and don't play games before release) and by today almost no aplication that was broken with 11.8 hasn't update.

4. lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323 GBAtemp Addict

May 27, 2011
    Canada
    You realize freeshop, ciangle, any cdn downloader which people used. Was busted big time for all firmwares? Its sent a shitload of noobs into a horrid state of panic.

5. E1ite007

Nov 19, 2016
    Mexico
    Oh yeah... it's true, a lot of people is in panic and in a paranoid state because the update.
    Yeah, I know about the CDN changes and that right now it affects all firms, but I assumed that OP knew about it, my fault.

lone_wolf323 likes this.
  6. raynelogens
    OP

raynelogens GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2009
    United States
    I am not sure what CDN is. I know Freeshop was down but I assumed, I could be wrong, that I could still install games via FBI.

7. lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323 GBAtemp Addict

May 27, 2011
    Canada
    yes. FBI still works as it should. just means the games had to get gotten from elsewhere then used with fbi.

E1ite007 likes this.
  8. E1ite007

Nov 19, 2016
    Mexico
    As lone_wolf323 said (I got ninja'd, crap), freeShop doesn't have anything to do with FBI. Although, the unique way right now to get games is to search the .CIA files in the Internet.