Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Gay Little Catboy said:
Nollog said:
You have no faith in Nintendo?
I'm sure they've learned something from the DSi and Wii.

Also, trading in my DSi is cheaper than keeping it, or do you mean something else?
I have faith Nintendo, but I little faith in people. I want see their system succeed and honestly an early hack of any sort never looks good for any gaming company.
I mean always keep a back up system like an old DS Lite or DSi so you can use your flashcards instead of fighting with Nintendo with every update.
What the different of using my ds mode cart on a ds/dsi vs on 3DS.

You assume everyone wouldn't stop at ds.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
bigpaws said:
if your read the user submitted news
you would see that mine was posted last night on that topic of netfront
the source is a major japanese paper
Not linked to Nintendo.
Thanks for confirming it's a rumour.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
so you dont think that one of the biggest newspapers would be telling the truth? that would be like the wall street journal reporting that there are secret attempts to blow up europe with nukes
it doesnt happen
the big news never lies

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
bigpaws said:
so you dont think that one of the biggest newspapers would be telling the truth? that would be like the wall street journal reporting that there are secret attempts to blow up europe with nukes
it doesnt happen
the big news never lies
FOX.

Also, I'm not saying they're lying I'm saying they have no confirmation from Nintendo.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:
No, the DSi only used 1 method to keep carts blocked. It was basically just a blacklist.No, it's a whitelist for older games and RSA signatures for newer games.
http://hackmii.com/2010/02/lawsuit-coming-in-3-2-1/

Functionally different than a blacklist. The reason that it can be updated to block carts is because Nintendo sees which games carts are pretending to be, and then makes the DSi/3DS check those games more thoroughly. They're only going to do this for specific games (the ones flash carts are seen using) because to keep all the information for the entire library (instead of just 2-3 hashes) would just take up way to much damn space on the unit.

TehSkull said:
Nintendo needs a way to actually determine if a cart is/wants to load something besides what the original cart does.No, because DS game carts can reload binaries and use overlays as well. They can't block the functions a flash cart uses without fucking up original games.

TehSkull said:
Back to the 3DS:
I think the 3DS could use CRC32 (or some other data verification protocol) checks to ensure the gamedata hasn't been tampered with. This would work on a database principle. Each 3DS cartridge's header (which would be the info used to locate a game in the DB) and CRC32 data don't match what's in the database, the game doesn't boot. This basically prevents flashcart companies from flashing their carts(redundant) into older games.
That's what's used now. The issue being that you can't keep information on all legit cart data. Simply way too much space. Unfathomable (with today's technology).

QUOTE(TehSkull @ Feb 28 2011, 06:27 PM)
But if a game's header isn't in the database, it still loads the game because the 3DS couldn't possibly update it's database daily for every game that comes out.
Then what's to stop the flash carts from presenting itself as a new game?
unsure.gif

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really hope this update locks out the flashcards
happy.gif

If you hate flashcarts and hacking, why are you on a forum for it?

This will sell more consoles for Nintendo, if you're so set on them making more money, since people with DS's will most likely upgrade to the 3DS now that they can play their games on it.

The only thing flashcarts and hacking have done is sold more consoles, since the people who use them wouldn't buy the game anyway.

As for me, it's convenient to be able to store all of my games in one place.. I once lost a case of 30+ DS games for nearly a month, after that I bought a flashcart and started leaving all my games at home.

Back on topic, I hope this browser shows significant speed improvements, so it may actually be plausible to use..

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i agree that space is an issure with this ap
i think they may check for a nintendo sig at random points during the game or constantly
it seems the only logical thing
that would block flashcarts who run unsigned code after loading
and it would have the sig in rom that would only make the cart work with that sig and rom combined
solved ap

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Haloman800 said:
happy.gif

If you hate flashcarts and hacking, why are you on a forum for it?
I like pie, but there are cases where pie isn't good and I won't recommend it. I can do that without hating pie.

Flash carts have a negative connotation, often associated with blatent piracy. Blatent piracy tends to scare developers away from a system, these are often the developers that would otherwise spend a year or more producing good games (not the month-long puzzle games we see over and over on the DS from small developers just cashing in on a franchise).

As gamers, we tend to like the long well-made games that took time and effort...

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
bigpaws said:
i agree that space is an issure with this ap
i think they may check for a nintendo sig at random points during the game or constantly
it seems the only logical thing
that would block flashcarts who run unsigned code after loading
and it would have the sig in rom that would only make the cart work with that sig and rom combined
solved ap
That would introduce another hole.
You'd need to either stop gameplay for the check, or use DSi/3DS' CPU to check it while they play.
That could give pirates access to DSi/3DS.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
TehSkull said:
But if a game's header isn't in the database, it still loads the game because the 3DS couldn't possibly update it's database daily for every game that comes out.
Then what's to stop the flash carts from presenting itself as a new game?
unsure.gif
Probably a signing method along the lines of what Sony has for the PSP/PS3. Except, you know, with actual random numbers, no constants.
tongue.gif

If that doesn't satisfy, I'd need to think about it a bit longer.

Maybe Nintendo could attempt access at the file system on the flashcart and ban if successful, since a retail cartridge would never use such a thing.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
TehSkull said:
Maybe Nintendo could attempt access at the file system on the flashcart and ban if successful, since a retail cartridge would never use such a thing.
The pokewalker has some memory, will they ban those too?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Haloman800 said:
happy.gif

If you hate flashcarts and hacking, why are you on a forum for it? One. I am a flashcard collector, I collect and use flashcards myself. Two. I am no hacker, I am a moder and I am not against hacking, but I am against hacking a system the day after it comes out.

This will sell more consoles for Nintendo, if you're so set on them making more money, since people with DS's will most likely upgrade to the 3DS now that they can play their games on it. I know the system will sell just fine, because well it's a freaking 3D system that doesn't require 3D glasses, how can that not sell? But if all people are going to do is pirate games, that doesn't even it out for the game developers. Even if flashcards don't work in 3DS mode now, you know no one is going to want to just stop there and if it gets hacked within the 1st year, even a minor hack like the DS-Mode looks bad on Nintendo's end.

The only thing flashcarts and hacking have done is sold more consoles, since the people who use them wouldn't buy the game anyway. Again, refer to my other statement

As for me, it's convenient to be able to store all of my games in one place.. I once lost a case of 30+ DS games for nearly a month, after that I bought a flashcart and started leaving all my games at home. You may use your flashcard for back ups, but most people just use them for piracy

Back on topic, I hope this browser shows significant speed improvements, so it may actually be plausible to use..
Now before I go and start repeating myself (again) look through the topic before posting ignorant post as to saying that I am so against this. I am against hacking this system so early. It's pointless and just a bigger fuss later when Nintendo cracks down, as well there are so few games worth getting right now. If anything waiting a few years for the 3DS to run it's time and hacking it would be an easier and smarter thing to do, not only will there be games worth pirating, but it's less likely Nintendo will even update it.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
TehSkull said:
And since when is the PokeWalker a (3)DS cartridge?

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
TehSkull said:
Nollog said:
TehSkull said:
And since when is the PokeWalker a (3)DS cartridge?
It's accessed by cart.
That means it would leave a similar result as a microsd card.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:
Probably a signing method along the lines of what Sony has for the PSP/PS3. Except, you know, with actual random numbers, no constants.
tongue.gif
That's what the DSi uses...

DS games do not have these kinds of signatures, so you cannot require them for all media or you'll block DS games.

QUOTE(Nollog @ Mar 1 2011, 11:00 AM) It's accessed by cart.
That means it would leave a similar result as a microsd card.
No, it's not accessed like a standard filesystem.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
So it stores information on the pokemon you're raising magically?
The hypothetical situation was if the 3DS tried to access the filesystem. The situation would fail as the pokewalker is not accessed like a filesystem.

Just like when you're requesting a web page from the internet, it is stored on a filesystem, but your computer is not accessing it the way it would access a filesystem.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
So it stores information on the pokemon you're raising magically?
No, but the Pokewalker isn't a filesystem on the cartridge. It's an external device connected to via IR, and only via IR.

I'm talking about how just about every flashcart has a microSD card slot which is clearly accessible by the player(the very principle of DS hacking) in two ways. 1. The player can insert and remove said microSD card. 2. The player can access the card's contents from inside the (3)DS.

If the player can access it, why couldn't Nintendo?

Now the obvious answer to this from the scene is: don't have the microSD in at boot. While this would (technically) work on the DSi, the 3DS presumably has a form of hypervisor so it could still monitor the fact that there's an additional filesystem. Plus, on the DSi, I'm pretty sure most flashcarts can't boot properly without having their SD card in. This would probably be fixed by a reflash of a modified boot method, but still.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if flashcards don't work in 3DS mode now, you know no one is going to want to just stop there and if it gets hacked within the 1st year, even a minor hack like the DS-Mode looks bad on Nintendo's end.
No one? I'm stopping at ds. Not everyone and their grandma is going to pirate 3DS games.

tongue.gif

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
KingVamp said:
Even if flashcards don't work in 3DS mode now, you know no one is going to want to just stop there and if it gets hacked within the 1st year, even a minor hack like the DS-Mode looks bad on Nintendo's end.
No one? I'm stopping at ds. Not everyone and their grandma is going to pirate 3DS games.

tongue.gif

I'm pretty sure he meant the flashcart devs. Maybe their grandmas too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/sGvT5FKSiyk?si=TYqsdjjbF-4N8Xc8