3DS Top Screen "Cover" Replacement?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Huntereb, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Huntereb
    OP

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    So my 3DS that I purchased on EBay has scratches on the top screen area, but on the easy-to-pry-off "Cover" to it. The scratches are from the 3DS flaw where the bottom screen scratches the top one, but I've already covered those areas up with tape to stop it from occuring again. Anyway, do you guys know a place where I can easily purchase only the cover to the screen? I can handle the rest as long as I can get this part.

Also let me know if there would be any issues in doing this.

Thanks!

2. Huntereb
    OP

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    Nothin'?

3. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    Seems like you need to buy a 3DS replacement shell just for the one part alone, the cover that goes over that LCD screen. Seems to be about $35.00+ from every kit I see, but I couldn't recommend a good site since I have not seen reviews, or used the site myself.

4. Huntereb
    OP

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

Thanks for the info, that helps. If I did order a kit though, I'd probably end up attempting to install the entire new housing (Because the current housing isn't in the best shape either). This scares me though, as videos of replacing a 3DS shell look a lot more complicated than previous consoles I've had to pry open (Last one I did was a GBA, so lol). I could do this, but do you guys think it would be a wise decisions to open 'er up and put it all together? Is there much of a risk to this?

And yeah, a trustworthy website supplying this hardware would be great too.

Thanks!

5. omgpwn666

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    Well, taking apart anything can be dangerous with a lack of experience in doing so. So, would I recommend you attempting to replace everything with a kit? No, I would not. But hey, you could try to do it if you believe in your skills. lol
    Replacing shells looks quite easy in most cases, but not on 3DS, that thing has a hinge! XD

6. Huntereb
    OP

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

Good point, I guess I'll just go after replacing the top screen cover first (Since that's the only thing that truly effects gameplay), and if I feel up to it later, I'll fix up the rest of it. I only found one guide on disassembling the 3DS on YouTube, and it was really poorly edited. I'll probably wait until more people start getting onto the 3DS repair scene and use a good guide before I do it myself.

So anyone know a good place to grab parts? Or do I need to start a new thread with a more appealing title?

7. omgpwn666

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    Someone who knows what's going on should really jump in here and help you out. I am pretty sure there are many members here who repair 3DS.

Huntereb likes this.
  8. Huntereb
    OP

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    I'll just wait it out then! Thanks for the help!

omgpwn666 likes this.
  9. SmileCitrus

SmileCitrus GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    There is one guy on eBay who sells the part that I think you're looking for. The search term to use is "display lens". I was looking for one recently too and stumbled across this American seller. I find it curious that there aren't any Chinese sellers on eBay or Aliexpress with this part for sale separately yet.

10. Huntereb
    OP

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

THANK YOU!!!