3DS system update question

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Dangermouse500, Oct 16, 2011.

Oct 16, 2011
  1. Dangermouse500
    OP

Newcomer Dangermouse500 Newbie

United Kingdom
    I've got an R4i 3DS card (R4I-SDHC.com). It works fine but I'm thinking of doing a system update so I can use the browser and possibly download the free Zelda 4 swords game.

I have never done a system update, on the system settings page it says Ver. 1.0.0-0E.

I'm worried about blocking the R4 card. This is what I plan to do, I just want to know if it's safe:

Upgrade my firmware to the latest - "R4i-3DS V1.46b English" through the 3DS R4 upgrade and then performing a system update.

Would this be ok to do?

2. CollosalPokemon

Member CollosalPokemon ばん。。。かい

United States
    Yes it works, I've done the update to both my card and the 3DS and it works fine. (I have a variety of kits incl. this one)

The only thing I notice is if you update the card then many games lag more than if you don't update. For instance, Pokemon Black and White have terrible lag in the intro before the title screen and also switching maps (playing on maps is decent though not perfect). Devil Survivor 2 has nasty lag pretty much all over as well. I'm sure those aren't the only games with lag but those are 2 examples of issues with updating currently. If you can deal with lagging games updating is fine.

3. Dangermouse500
    OP

Newcomer Dangermouse500 Newbie

United Kingdom