3DS Software Region-Free?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Xmortal, Dec 31, 2011.

Dec 31, 2011

3DS Software Region-Free? by Xmortal at 8:42 PM (986 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Xmortal
    OP

Newcomer Xmortal Advanced Member

Venezuela
    It's curious that various software are Region-Free in 3DS, for example Pokedex 3DS, are also the program Nintendo 3DS Camera and Nintendo Sound.

With the Pokedex 3D is even more remarkable this situation, because sometimes the language is changed automatically to Japanese, when our consoles do not support the Japanese language.

2. m0dm0use

Member m0dm0use GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Then why haven't demos from the Japanese e-shop been dumped for others on other region console?

3. CollosalPokemon

Member CollosalPokemon ばん。。。かい

United States
    Lol all 3DS's support other region languages. Nintendo puts a flag on all software (including the software on gamecards) to say "Hey! I'm from country X" where X is whatever country (US/EU/J/etc). If the flag is not matching your 3DS saying "Hey, I'm a guard for Y where you just came to, lemme check you out and see if I like you" (where Y is your 3DS's region) then if the flag does not match the 3DS's flag, the 3DS says "Hey! You cannot hang around here, I don't like where your from". The "guard" does not like foreigners. That's what the home menu does. Of course if there was an exploit, the ones working on it would not implement such a check so any region would work if/when an exploit is out.

So in short, no. Channels and gamecards are not region-free, and probably will never be without an exploit.

4. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    They can choose to make some games region-free, though.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Yeah it's not about technical support, they limit it on purpose for various reasons.

6. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    i... kinda doubt this.

Some 3DS software out there definitely does not contain all languages and are controlled by flags. It's very very likely that JPN software only have japanese language in it and therefore will never work with non-JPN 3DS units. the only exceptions are titles who are developed with multiple regions in mind.

Nintendo 3DS Camera and Sound are, as far as i'm concerned, not separate applications but a part of the firmware itself. My reasons? Remove the SD card and it's still there. All other apps reside on either the SD card or system memory. hence, every other app that does not reside in either of those two are included in the firmware.

it may be so that those apps are different only by the "language packs" they contain, but therein lies the catch: if it is somehow installed on a unit which does not support the language it has, it will not work. probably hardcoded into the software itself.

7. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    The language, as you said, is contained in the software.
    If the software was made to be region-free, then it would work on another system, no matter the region.