3DS slowdown issues

KM_907

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a strange issue. I came across a 3DS cartridge that caused my 3DS with CFW to shutdown as soon as it tried to access the cartridge. Now it seems the 3DS runs really slowly, especially at boot up. I’ve swapped SD cards, updated the CFW, removed the battery and drained parasitic power, but nothing has helped. Any ideas?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning.:)

I have a strange issue. I came across a 3DS cartridge that caused my 3DS with CFW to shutdown as soon as it tried to access the cartridge. Now it seems the 3DS runs really slowly, especially at boot up. I’ve swapped SD cards, updated the CFW, removed the battery and drained parasitic power, but nothing has helped. Any ideas?

- Which SD Card(s) please (Brand / Size / Regular or microSD) ?
- Which Size please ?
- SD Card(s) checked for possible (Hardware) Errors with an Tool ?

Thank you.:)

Reactions: KM_907

KM_907

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The original card was a Kingston 32GB regular. The replacement was the same except it’s a microSD. I’m deleting everything off the original card as I’m typing this and will test with h2testw.

Edit: Sorry: cards are 64GB

Last edited by KM_907,
Reactions: Alexander1970

KM_907

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, Kingston original adapter. I’m only using the microSD as a temporary trial. Not sure if you noticed my edited post, the cards are actually 64GB.

Thanks for the help.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thank you.:)

No, Kingston original adapter. I’m only using the microSD as a temporary trial. Not sure if you noticed my edited post, the cards are actually 64GB.

Thanks for the help.
If your microSD is ok,maybe the Adapter can cause the "speed drop"....
It is also known,the bigger the SD Cards (from 64GB up) the slower they can acting....

Try your original SD Card (the 32 Gb Kingston) and you will see the Difference.:(
But that is also depending on the Brand and formatting.

Please use this FAT32format Tool.:)

KM_907

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually both of the cards I have are 64GB. The original full size card was tested before I installed the CFW, I wasn’t having any problems until I tried to run this faulty game cartridge. I’m pretty sure that cartridge didn’t cause any hardware issues other than possibly corrupting the original SD. I do know that 64GB cards can cause some slowdowns, but I didn’t see any before this cropped up. I have also deleted as much as I can from the microSD card as possible. Could this have hosed my CFW installation? I tried the FAT32 format tool, but I couldn’t get it to work with anything larger than 32GB. I am using GUI Format for the 64GB cards.

The original card is running hw2test right now, but it will take some time to complete.

Edit: worst case I can go back to 32GB cards, but I would like to use the 64GB cards if possible.

KM_907

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe so. I can check after I get the test done on the original card. Once I get this slowdown issue resolved I will only be using full size SD cards, I’m stuck with micro since I grabbed it by mistake out of the pile of new SD cards I have.

Thanks again for the help on this. I’m at a loss as to why this console that was running great two days ago is now so slow.

KM_907

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing I forgot about, I was actually playing a game yesterday on this, and was Calle away so I just closed the console and when I came back to about 15 minutes later, it was locked up and I had to force it to power off.

• Sad

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Could be maybe really a Issue with the Card...
You said,before the Card change everything was fine,so.....

This (micro)SD Card Things are sometimes very annoying....:(

KM_907

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, the card change was in response to this problem. I didn’t need to change out the card, the problem happened then I changed the card.

Quick rundown on what happened.

A few months ago I installed CFW in this 3DS.
I ripped most of my cartridge library to it and everything was fine.
I put in an apparently defective game cartridge that caused my 3DS to instantly power off.
I then started the 3DS in godmode and tried to read the cartridge. It caused my 3DS to power off instantly.
I then put that cartridge away and tried to rip the other cartridges I bought with this defective cartridge. It ripped them really slowly, but I didn’t think much about that since some rips will take some time.
I then restarted the 3DS and noticed the interface took a long time to come up and show the games I had installed.
I then installed one of the ripped games using FBI and it installed really slowing.
I tried to run that game and it started really slowly.
That game then froze after I shut the lid on the 3DS.
At that point I pulled the battery out to try to reset everything but it didn’t help.
I updated Luma and Godmode9 but that didn’t help either.
I swapped SD cards and everything was still slow, so I asked for help on this forum.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
It does sound like the filesystem on the card got corrupted on the first power loss. It will probably be fine again if you fix that.

The faulty game is probably shorted internally. Mark it as bad and never use it again.

KM_907

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does sound like the filesystem on the card got corrupted on the first power loss. It will probably be fine again if you fix that.

The faulty game is probably shorted internally. Mark it as bad and never use it again.
Yeah, I think I’m going to have to build a totally new SD card, just copying over my old card probably just brought the problems with it.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does using a 32GB sd card fixes the problem?
From what i gather you're only encountering this issue with the larger 64GB cards, right?
If so, doesn't make sense for it to be a system corruption issue..

I would recommend testing the sd card with h2testw as suggested above, first copy & paste the data somewhere safe on your PC and format it as FAT32 64KB cluster size, then check the sd card with h2testw (with the read & write setting).
Do not put any of the original files back, just the Luma3DS/GodMode9 files and FBI/Homebrew Launcher (either Cia or 3DSX) from the guide here. Then plug the sd card and boot the system, and see if it behaves the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really...