3DS partially regionfree?

mkoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TheTwoR's said:
I don't understand the point of this region locking garbage.
They're actually LOSING money that way.
"Hey I'm just gonna enter this store and get myself Mario Kart 3DS ..."
"Oh crap my 3DS is Japanese. I guess I'll get the US game later."
They do it to keep different markets apart from each other.
And sell same game from different price on different markets. To maximize their profit
It's called price differentiation (could be a incorrect translation)

On unrelated news, I have my microeconomics final tomorrow

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
Same as the 360 or Wii, have region locking as an option or an "all regions" region.

The 360 does have Japanese games that are region free, most shoot-em-ups for the 360 and several dating sims tend to be this way. Yet they won't do this for Idolmaster, what a cruel game you play Microsoft. I haven't seen any region free Wii games either. I still wonder Nintendo I want to know the exact reason why are you region locking the 3DS after decades of region free handhelds? I get the feeling that this is financial control and not parental controls and all that since Sony has this on a universal scale and has region free for games and Microsoft has it on a partial scale (like I said above). This is a Globalized Economy in 2011, it is not 1985 anymore get with the program, people want a piece of your nations' gaming scene and are willing to spend a premium to get it, you're going backwards while everyone is moving forward at their own pace. There's a problem if even Microsoft which has some region free games and you are starting to region lock everything out when you never have done so in decades and the DSi doesn't count there was not much of anything gamewise short of DSiware.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cwstjdenobs said:
Same as the 360 or Wii, have region locking as an option or an "all regions" region.
The Wii is region locked in the System software, not on individual per-title basis. 360 and PS3 both are on per-title basis (or PS3 may be completely region free, not 100% sure). PSP is region free for games (not UMD movies). DS was region free, DSi was region locked for DSi mode carts AFAIK. Just as a comparison to other consoles. I'd say that the option will certainly be there to lock the games, but probably only when deemed necessary (e.g. if a game was deemed unreleasable by one classifaction board, it may be region locked to another region where it was approved. Just a theory)

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
cwstjdenobs said:
The Wii is region locked in the System software, not on individual per-title basis. 360 and PS3 both are on per-title basis (or PS3 may be completely region free, not 100% sure).

The PS3 is region free for games with an exception, the hybrid packs (movie + game on a disk) won't work on a European system, they do work on US and Asian consoles. Also Blu-Rays are region free on per movie basis (Most US Blu-Ray disks are region free and all JP Blu-Rays can be played on American consoles, same with US movies on a Japanese Console).

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
TheTwoR's said:
I don't understand the point of this region locking garbage.
They're actually LOSING money that way.
"Hey I'm just gonna enter this store and get myself Mario Kart 3DS ..."
"Oh crap my 3DS is Japanese. I guess I'll get the US game later."

Actually they will MAKE MORE MONEY. Most people will buy a 3DS from their own region, because that's the smart thing to do, buying a Japanese region locked system if you live in the UK would be a stupid move, you will not have access to the correct online features and you can not stop in at your local store and buy games, they wont work. But someone living in the UK, only able to play European games on their system, means that Nintendo can take advantage of the different pricing structures and charge more for both the 3DS system and for all other software. Notice that the Target starting price for a 3DS in the UK is £70 higher than in the US, that's a LOT of money for the only main difference being the sale country.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
isabelyes said:
I've been wondering - if I'd buy an American 3DS (even though I live in Europe), would I still be able to go online and stuff? :curious:
Go online? Almost definitely (for all they know you could be on holidays). Play local games (what else could "and stuff" mean?)? Perhaps, perhaps not, that's the point of this topic.

Isabelyes

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
SifJar said:
isabelyes said:
I've been wondering - if I'd buy an American 3DS (even though I live in Europe), would I still be able to go online and stuff? :curious:
Go online? Almost definitely (for all they know you could be on holidays). Play local games (what else could "and stuff" mean?)? Perhaps, perhaps not, that's the point of this topic.

*relieved sigh* Thank you~!
With 'other stuff', I meant things like Streetpass and multiplayer games etc.
I'll import most games anyway - DS games are far cheaper in America, and I'm assuming 3DS games will be, too.

The thing is, when my brother bought an American iPhone, it had problems with iTunes, among others.
...Those problems might just be because of the European version of iTunes being incompatible with an American iPhone, though. >->

So, it's safe to assume I'll be able to use every function of an American 3DS in Europe, too?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
isabelyes said:
SifJar said:
isabelyes said:

I'll import most games anyway - DS games are far cheaper in America, and I'm assuming 3DS games will be, too.

The thing is, when my brother bought an American iPhone, it had problems with iTunes, among others.
...Those problems might just be because of the European version of iTunes being incompatible with an American iPhone, though. >->

So, it's safe to assume I'll be able to use every function of an American 3DS in Europe, too?

In theory I see no reason why not. And I didn't think there was a US and an EU version of iTunes. Or do you mean the actual iTunes store? Either way, the functions of a 3DS you are referring to are more likely to work in EU because they are more likely to be used on holidays than e.g. syncing an iPhone with iTunes when on holiday.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
isabelyes said:
SifJar said:
isabelyes said:

Wether its safe to assume? I suggest to wait a few months untill someone tested it thoroughly before taking the chance. If you take the chance and you end up not being able to do anything youll have to resell the 3DS back to US

And SifJar, yea there is a BIG diff between the 2. Apps from 1 wont appear in the other.
But you have a fair point with the holiday one, although its such an easy thing to think of its also very easy to miss

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
isabelyes said:

If it's anything like the DSi yes you can go online but you'll have to import your Nintendo Points from the US which isn't too expensive compared to if you are from Europe, imported a JP 3DS and needed points.

Waytofind

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hop2089 said:
SifJar said:
isabelyes said:

If it's anything like the DSi yes you can go online but you'll have to import your Nintendo Points from the US which isn't too expensive compared to if you are from Europe, imported a JP 3DS and needed points.

Nintendo's new E Store will use direct cash so you won't need to have to import any point just have a credit card or whatever payment system Nintendo will be accepting for that region. Actually thinking of it that might be a bit more of a hassle for importers then points. Well it depends what payment methods there will be.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Looks to me like some games that use obscure hardware won't be region-free.

EDIT: That article you just posted doesn't seem too reliable. It said that the 3DS will be the first portable from Ninty that has a region lock. The DSi did. Surely they would have known that...

Isabelyes

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Waytofind said:
Hop2089 said:
SifJar said:
isabelyes said:

Nintendo's new E Store will use direct cash so you won't need to have to import any point just have a credit card or whatever payment system Nintendo will be accepting for that region. Actually thinking of it that might be a bit more of a hassle for importers then points. Well it depends what payment methods there will be.

Wouldn't it actually be beneficial to us Europeans? Seeing as 1 dollar equals, more or less, 0.7 Euro - 3DSware would be cheaper for us if we were to import an American 3DS.
But, you're right. It all depends on the payment methods... (C'mon Nintendo; don't screw this up...)

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
region locking only matters for a minority of game importers
there arent many games that come out only in japan that are any good
maybe this is because of china secretly
must region lock so american games cant be played!!!
but also i guess it makes sence to do it for parent controls
they should make it only region locked if parental controls are in use

D

Deleted_171835

bigpaws said:
region locking only matters for a minority of game importers
there arent many games that come out only in japan that are any good
maybe this is because of china secretly
must region lock so american games cant be played!!!
but also i guess it makes sence to do it for parent controls
they should make it only region locked if parental controls are in use
You're an idiot.

Jump Ultimate Superstars
Mother 3
Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney
Ouendan and Ouendan 2
are just a few great Japan-only games

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."