3DS hardmod - read only NAND?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Wojton, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Wojton
    OP

Wojton GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2014
    Poland
    I've recently hardmodded my Old 3DS, so that I'm able to restore my A9LH NAND backup (due to my mistake I ended up losing it after updating to 11.1 firmware). Because I planned to make it a 1-time mod, I soldered the franken SD card direcly to the motherboard, without using any connectors on the way. It seems to work with my SD Card reader - after connecting it, NAND is detected on my PC immediately, but for some reason, I'm only able to dump it to a file, not write to it. I have used 3DS NAND checker to compare 4 NAND dumps that I've made, everything checks out as far as NAND dumping is concerned:

[​IMG]

But when I try to write my NAND backup (in .bin format), I keep getting this error message:

[​IMG]
    Any ideas on what might be causing it? Here are the pictures of my solder joints, though I don't think the issue lies here (I've checked the connections with a multimeter):
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    I have already tried using a different SD adapter, same problem. It here any other software than Win32DiskImager that could be used for writing to NAND? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Last edited by Wojton, Sep 18, 2016
  2. vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb That hardmod guy....

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA
    You're missing the lock switch on the sd card.

invaderyoyo likes this.
  3. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    I've heard that a piece of tape can work if you lost the lock switch. Never tried it myself, though.

4. Wojton
    OP

Wojton GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2014
    Poland
    I have thought of that, so I have glued a folded piece of paper that acts as a replacement for a SD Card lock (I'm using a different SD Card adapter than on the first picture too):
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    That should do the job and yet, I'm still facing the same problem. Could it be caused by my SD Card reader? I think that if NAND gets detected on my PC and I can read it, I should also be able to write to it but perhaps I need to buy yet another reader...

Last edited by Wojton, Sep 18, 2016
  5. Wojton
    OP

Wojton GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2014
    Poland
    Update: I got around the issue by installing Linux Lite v3.0 on one of my desktops and using the dd command:
    [​IMG]

NAND has been restored successfully, I'm back on A9LH now :grog:

6. ollicnat

ollicnat Member

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2015
    Thanks!!!! that words for me too!! My error in win32 was write error 1117 attempting to write data to a handle. E/S. Pura vida!

Last edited by ollicnat, Jan 6, 2017
  7. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    CRC error isn't a write protect error. Since you did manage to get it working on Linux, that means there was some weird hardware interaction issue.

8. Wojton
    OP

Wojton GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2014
    Poland
    The issue is that my 3DS NAND seems to bew partially corrupted (at least TWLN partition is), so while my console functions normally, the only way to write to the NAND is with Linux, which ignores crc errors and attempts to write over the broken sector(s) too.