3ds Gateway Troubles.. Help?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by tangerines, Sep 20, 2013.

1. tangerines
    OP

tangerines Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2013
    New Zealand
    I bought a gateway. Sometimes the games will load fine, but sometimes it might get stuck on the 3ds logo when loading a game or a black screen will come up saying "an error has occurred. hold down the power button to turn off the power, then turn it on and try again". There are times that the error screen will come up when i press HOME while in a game.

To fix this I have tried:
    1. Buying a whole new gateway - same problems
    2. I usually use adata c4 8gb micro sds but I have a 32gb samsung c10 - tried that, still happens
    3. reflashed my 3ds multiple times using the bluecard with fw 1.1a , 1.2
    4. reformatted my sd card and just dragged back my data and all the saves
    5. rewrote the images to the micro sds
    6. ran diagnostics with the mirco sds (not with the gateway image) but with my own game images, it does end up on green

The game eventually loads after a few restarts - depends on my luck, so I do get to play it eventually. Im not sure if everyone experiences these problems and if gateway just works that way.. Is there a solution? Am i doing something wrong here or do I have two bad gateways?

2. johnnywalker

johnnywalker GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2006
    Poland
    Mine plays like a charm, so that is not a normal GW3DS's way of working. You have got a problem to be worked out. Good luck.

3. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    Is it only an issue with one specific ROM? This sounds like a loading issue, probably from a bad dump.

4. jastolze

jastolze GBAtemp Fan

May 2, 2012
    United States
    Did you buy both Gateway cards from the same store? They might have had a bunch of defected cards, which would lead to your issues.

5. tangerines
    OP

tangerines Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2013
    New Zealand
    Not from the same store - the first one was from an aliexpress seller, the second is from nds-card.com.

It happens with different roms.

Do you think its possible I may have had a bad flash? Like the actual flashing process went wrong in my 3ds? I have done it a few times but still no change.

Its kinda hard to imagine getting 2 defective cards :-(

6. THE_DBX

THE_DBX Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2009
    France
    Maybe you can try to use another micro sd card writer?...

7. tangerines
    OP

tangerines Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2013
    New Zealand
    I have tried a usb card reader and an sd card adaptor.
    I have used the windows image writer program and also the mac osx sd imager made by gateway themselves.

8. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Wait wait wait what FW is your 3DS on?

9. tangerines
    OP

tangerines Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2013
    New Zealand
    Firmware 4.5.0-10E

10. Hilti

Hilti Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Hi do you plug out the Gateway-card before you go to the "Gateway-mode"?
    The same issue here if i let the Gateway in the DS 3D pluged before start the special mode.
    Sorry for bad bad english ;)

11. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    I don't have a gateway, but have on occasion had that issue with my DSTWO, despite normally working just fine. Apparently means I need to eject/reseat the micro SD card, since that fixes it (and the problem starts happening intermittently after taking the micro SD out to load other stuff on it). Can't say that will work for you, but it's worth a shot. Might need to finagle it in at a slight angle or something like that.

12. KidIce

KidIce Smart Ass

Dec 22, 2005
    United States
    Sounds like it might be a contact issue, either w/ the GW and the 3DS or the GW and the microSD. I suspect the latter. Clean the contacts, if it doesn't help try a wedge of some sort (put a piece of thin tape on the back of the microSD for example).

Rydian likes this.