ROM Hack 3DS Game Translation?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
File editing has long been doable for a little while now and binary editing, not always necessary but good to have as well, is also possible so yes translations are possible. File formats and concepts seem to be broadly similar to the stuff seen on the DS and Wii so that is nice, I can not say I would suggest you get into it if you are not otherwise familiar with some kind of hacking or programming (it is very early days, tools are not well developed, there is no debugging emulator and hardware debugging is not great either).

ROMs are encrypted so you will need a means to decrypt them. This will require a full capability homebrew capable 3DS, traditionally this meant a 4.5 firmware 3ds but these days you can do it on 9.2 as well
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-3ds_ctr_decryptor-void.370684/
Decryption generates a file you run against the original ROM and decrypt it that way, these files are commonly known as XORpads and you can not link them around here. Some people do share them out there in the world (they are the same size as the 3ds roms they handle so if you can make them then do).
There are various ways to encrypt them after you are done, for 3ds roms the two main ones are to encrypt it back with the xorpad or to encrypt it with an all 00 key. I favour the second but the first is possibly more useful if you want to make patches. Not sure what goes with CIA files made from hacked roms these days but that might also be an option.

zannalabianca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
File editing has long been doable for a little while now and binary editing, not always necessary but good to have as well, is also possible so yes translations are possible. File formats and concepts seem to be broadly similar to the stuff seen on the DS and Wii so that is nice, I can not say I would suggest you get into it if you are not otherwise familiar with some kind of hacking or programming (it is very early days, tools are not well developed, there is no debugging emulator and hardware debugging is not great either).

ROMs are encrypted so you will need a means to decrypt them. This will require a full capability homebrew capable 3DS, traditionally this meant a 4.5 firmware 3ds but these days you can do it on 9.2 as well
Decryption generates a file you run against the original ROM and decrypt it that way, these files are commonly known as XORpads and you can not link them around here. Some people do share them out there in the world (they are the same size as the 3ds roms they handle so if you can make them then do).
There are various ways to encrypt them after you are done, for 3ds roms the two main ones are to encrypt it back with the xorpad or to encrypt it with an all 00 key. I favour the second but the first is possibly more useful if you want to make patches. Not sure what goes with CIA files made from hacked roms these days but that might also be an option.

Hey that's VERY helpful but what comes after making the xorpads? how do we dump text, images, or textures? I find that people leav that info out :huh:

Yes.. how?..
it's really HELPFUL, really thank You!! ^_^

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I assume this would be the same way to go about undubbing 3ds games as well as translations right?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Assuming you do not mean how do I use my newly decrypted ROM (there are various tools for this and many will be covered in the xorpad generation links, or if you prefer http://3dbrew.org/wiki/3DSExplorer and ctrtool) then actually figuring out what the files do is "just" ROM hacking, such things are covered fairly extensively elsewhere
http://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-rom-hacking-documentation-project-new-2014-edition-out.73394/
http://www.romhacking.net/start

The 3ds is a relatively unhacked system, a relatively modern with relatively modern thinking in terms of formats, its hardware has not been extensively documented yet, it does not have well polished debugging emulators/debugging features in hardware and there is not a lot of general supporting software for 3ds hacking I can not suggest people that have not hacked things before start there. The does not have the problems just mentioned and has hundreds of good games that need translation, as do many other systems that are also in nice positions.

I assume this would be the same way to go about undubbing 3ds games as well as translations right?

Yeah, most undubbing involves taking the sound from one region and getting it to work in another. With systems like the DS and 3ds that use file systems rather than one single lump of code (like the GBA and most things 16 bit and older) it is usually a matter of just swapping the files over -- localisation does not tend to add or change much in terms of game code and removal, while seen often enough to not be too unusual, is not usually too hard to handle. Indeed I believe people have already done such things.

Reactions: cvskid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off