Hacking 3DS Flashcarts - News, Updates, and Support Thread

badbob001

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm completely fine with them fixing all the existing bugs before introducing new features with new bugs. I will be happy playing one game to completion as long as game saves are reliable. Tried all the suggested procedures and despite it being mostly better, I am always one save away from losing all my progress. Taking out the SD card all the time to backup is tiresome. It would be nice if the system would make a backup before saving and automatically use the backup if the main save file is zero byte or missing.

Skyrider

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmm, are there any step by step instructions on how to dump the nand and update the emunand?

I had a look at this list, I am currently on 4.4, and there are some games I wanna try which is 4.5. Do I let the game update it to 4.5, or do this emunand thingy?

http://gbatemp.net/threads/where-to-get-a-firmware-4-5-or-below-3ds-xl.352360/page-15#post-4828857

It's simple:

1), hold L in nintendo profile to go to GateWay GUI Mode (the menu)
2), Go right and click on the backup function
3), a nand file will be placed on your large-sized DS card at the side of the DS
4), back it up, multiple times if needed. (the nand file (system file) is unique per system).
5), Back up everything if needed on the DS card to be safe.
6), Go back to the GUI mode of the Gateway, and use the format function, rather than the backup.
7), Once done, reboot the 3DS and go in to Gateway mode. Go to system settings and you'll see "GW3D" at the DS version number.

From there, you can use the system settings to set up the WiFi / Internet connection settings in order to update the DS's firmware.. BUT REMEMBER, ONLY UPDATE THE FIRMWARE WHEN YOU ARE IN GATEWAY MODE (GW3D) before the version number!

In my opinion, I'd wait until GW 2.0 final has been released. Or at least 2.0 Beta 2 for firmware 7.0 support.

As I've seen in a few suggestion threads, move around the main icons when you boot up the DS in both DS & Gateway mode to distinguish 3DS mode and gateway mode. Eg, put the game icon at the first place where in the gateway mode you can put the game icon as last.

Also recommended removing wifi on the main 3DS mode.

irondoom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why not just do something like this http://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-3ds-sd-card-covers.354183/. I myself dont really care about multi-rom support
Same here. I just want Pokemon to work. But if rom doesn't work maybe I'll get the retail cart for Xmas and can play on emunand. That works too. bTw will online work with retail cart and emunand 7.0?

I also want bugs to be fixed as well because I have a fine time on my gateway3ds now without upgrading to beta. I will upgrade to play Zelda and Pokemon once stable is released.

Skyrider

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ya.. I am wondering as well if it's safe to update to the latest firmware with the current beta of GW. (Firmware update on GW3D mode btw). I'd like to use some of the online features. But I assume it's best to wait for Beta 2 / Stable release.

corim123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya.. I am wondering as well if it's safe to update to the latest firmware with the current beta of GW. (Firmware update on GW3D mode btw). I'd like to use some of the online features. But I assume it's best to wait for Beta 2 / Stable release.
Are you thick? It's pretty obviously documented everywhere there's no reason to upgrade and fuck things up. You'll only lose features and break functionality. Seriously, just look around the forum for two seconds.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's simple:

1), hold L in nintendo profile to go to GateWay GUI Mode (the menu)
2), Go right and click on the backup function
3), a nand file will be placed on your large-sized DS card at the side of the DS
4), back it up, multiple times if needed. (the nand file (system file) is unique per system).
5), Back up everything if needed on the DS card to be safe.
6), Go back to the GUI mode of the Gateway, and use the format function, rather than the backup.
7), Once done, reboot the 3DS and go in to Gateway mode. Go to system settings and you'll see "GW3D" at the DS version number.

From there, you can use the system settings to set up the WiFi / Internet connection settings in order to update the DS's firmware.. BUT REMEMBER, ONLY UPDATE THE FIRMWARE WHEN YOU ARE IN GATEWAY MODE (GW3D) before the version number!

In my opinion, I'd wait until GW 2.0 final has been released. Or at least 2.0 Beta 2 for firmware 7.0 support.

As I've seen in a few suggestion threads, move around the main icons when you boot up the DS in both DS & Gateway mode to distinguish 3DS mode and gateway mode. Eg, put the game icon at the first place where in the gateway mode you can put the game icon as last.

Also recommended removing wifi on the main 3DS mode.

Sorry, this is utter nonsense.

He wanted to know how he can run a game that requires 4.5 when he is only on 4.4

The correct answer to this is "Don't do anything. Gateway does version spoofing and if the ROM requires 4.5 and the machine is only 4.4 it should run without any problems."

The correct answer to this is not "update the EmuNAND". While updating that won't hurt him (unless he messes up and updates the real one which certainly would hurt him), it won't make any difference for his question either.

ehnoah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
But you can Upgrade to 7.0 there is no reason to do not ;)

Beta 2 in a few days fully Support 7.0 so ... why not? :>

badbob001

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Gateway could have avoided many accidental sysnand upgrades if they simply produced a simple table or list on what certain modes are for. Better yet, put that text right in the launcher gui next to each of their cryptic icons. Hold L for Gateway mode? From there, there is an option for Classic mode? Avoid L and be in an un-named mode? Why not just name the "modes" Menu, Play-Cart, and Play-File?

Well, at least the mode most commonly needed is by default and automatic, and so the more dangerous modes are only dangerous to those with enough information to be a danger to themselves.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
But you can Upgrade to 7.0 there is no reason to do not ;)
then I'll link to your own post where you ask why it's not working correctly. The Answer is s simple : 7.0.0 has lot of bugs and is not supported.

You know now that it's not because it's available that you must use it. New is not always better.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can update to 6.2, but that's only if you really need it.
Like I said, newer version is not always required.

you need it only if you want to play a retail cartridge requiring a System version higher than your current one.
In that case, you can update EmuNAND using that game, and it will install the required version on EmuNAND. (Just be careful to be in EmuNAND, or you'll update your console).

For ROMs, you don't need anything higher than 4.2.0

Edit:
If you update EmuNAND using a cartridge, the highest version available is currently 6.2.0, and this one works fine with EmuNAND (region free/System spoofing/Settings/Applications access).

ehnoah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah but if you want play Online you need 7.X later on or not? There is no reason for EmuNand except play Online ;)

JohnnyBlaze1986

FUCK GBATEMP!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.gbatempsucks.com
XP
Country
United States
Finally got to my PC, so here it is:

nyus83.jpg

DaveTheBaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is what I came here to find. I just ordered my gateway and I was wondering about playing retail games (specifically pokemon x/y) online.

This page (very bottom) seems to imply that online for retail is broken
http://dsdatabase.org/showthread.php/7209-Gateway-3DS-Announced/page7

I suppose I'll wait to get any retail games until people test them out with the official 2.0 release

it's nothing hard to understand...

You can't play Pokemon X/Y online because the 1.2 patch required to go online (which is the specific case of this game) was released after the 7.0 update, so pretty much nobody under emuNAND has this patch. Any other game will work online normally unless it requires a patch that you haven't downloaded before.

DaveTheBaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's nothing hard to understand...

You can't play Pokemon X/Y online because the 1.2 patch required to go online (which is the specific case of this game) was released after the 7.0 update, so pretty much nobody under emuNAND has this patch. Any other game will work online normally unless it requires a patch that you haven't downloaded before.

That makes sense.

And so in order to download the patches we would need an emuNAND of the latest firmware (to access eshop or whatever it is that downloads patches)?

ehnoah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So that mean I could play Pokemon X/Y Online with 4.X Firmware Spoof if I would not need a Patch. But because the Patch I need 7.0 because the Patch + Shop correct?

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So that mean I could play Pokemon X/Y Online with 4.X Firmware Spoof if I would not need a Patch. But because the Patch I need 7.0 because the Patch + Shop correct?

Simply put, you can't play Pokemon online because it will ask you to go to the eshop, which in order to use, requires an update.
No matter what, so far it's impossible to go online while using a GateWay with emunand. Maybe in the next update they'll fix that, but for now, no can do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Gamemaster2022 @ Gamemaster2022: Great titles. I'm about to play some Pokémon Emerald. I need to lvl up