G-STAR01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello,

I was wondering, Gateway or Sky3DS?
If I'm not mistaken, both allow multiple backups to be stored?
And do normal in-game saves work fine?
And do they allow online play?
(you know transfer some pokemon xD)

And I don't really care about normal DS support or anything like that.
I've got a DSi XL that I use with the DSTWO card.
They both pretty expensive, so I'd probably want something that'd last, bit like the DSTWO.
And would a 32GB microsd card suffice? I might store 4 games at a time, although I'd want to keep the saves on there permanently.

And any idea if the 3DS XL's in stores (uk) come on the latest firmwares?
I don't mind picking up 2nd hand tbh, I found one on 7.x firmware.

Thanks

G-STAR01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks mate.

When you say it's better featurewise, you mean as in HB support or menu system?
And how do they compare with CFW?
I'm guessing online play is out the question?
And I've read not all the latest games are supported on cfw, but I read mixed comments regarding new pokemon games.
And mixed comments about its stability (booting etc).

And I've seen people downgrading from 9.2 to 4.5 using gateway, is there any point in doing this? or any downside?

YamiZee

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
If you've got 9.2 or lower, get gateway. Else either get another 9.2 or lower console for gateway, or sky3ds with the hopes that it wont get blocked, because once it does you wont be able to update your 3ds to play the latest games (retail or sky3ds) or access the eshop for updates to play online with games that require them. Gateway doesn't have those problems

Reactions: G-STAR01

G-STAR01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks to both of you.
It seems Gateway is the way to go.
One final question, if one downgrades to 4.5 to escape the browser exploit, does that affect game compatibility?

YamiZee

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
You'll have boot into emunand to play newer retail games you may have. Also newer eshop titles will stop working. I don't have much experience on that however, so I don't know if anything will happen to your saves...

YamiZee

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
You can reinstall them to emunand though, and you can probably back up your saves if there is some problem with them. I'm personally staying on 9.2 as well which is why I'm not certain

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Downgrading is fine if you do not have existing saves you are concerned about.

I don't think you question about online was answered. Gateway works online in emunand. You can experience some eshop outages when Nintendo releases an update and gateway has to write a new compatible launcher.

G-STAR01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks and yea I don't have any existing saves.
Need to pickup a 3ds xl on <9.2 and Gateway first xD

Downgrading doesn't sound too bad if I can reinstall them on emunand.
I'll see how it goes after I get one, I can see browser thing being an inconvenience when out & about but I suppose a simple hotspot app on my phone would do the trick.

EDIT: UPDATE

Bought a 3DS XL on 9.2.
Waiting on playmods to get Gateway stock.
Any recommendations on the memory card size?
16 or 32GB?

D

Deleted-355425

Bought a 3DS XL on 9.2.
Waiting on playmods to get Gateway stock.
Any recommendations on the memory card size?
16 or 32GB?

buy the memory card seperatly from mymemory.co.uk or else where legit, 32GB if you had to pick, make sure its class 10.

G-STAR01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks to both of you.
32GB it is, and yes I plan on buying a class 10 samsung evo from Amazon.
There's 64GB MicroSDXC support too right?

bobtheglob101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to both of you.
32GB it is, and yes I plan on buying a class 10 samsung evo from Amazon.
There's 64GB MicroSDXC support too right?

Yeah, the red card supports ExFAT so you'll be able to use a 64GB MicroSD card without a lot of fuss. I use a 64GB Samsung Evo in mine and there has been no issues.

bobtheglob101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
128gb is the largest on the market? The SDXC standard supports up to 2 TB, so there must be ones higher than that.

The standard can support up to 2TB, but not necessarily the actual MicroSD card. As of now 128GB is the largest MicroSD card, but there are standard sized SD cards that go up to 512GB though.

G-STAR01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks all, I appreciate you taking your time to answer my questions.

I was doing some reading and it seems 3DS games come (or end up) in 3 formats, .3ds, .3dz and .cia
As I understand it, you should preferably inject some headers into those .3ds roms which then makes em .3dz and allows online functionality, correct?
And as I understand it, you get those headers either from the internet or from an original cartridge.
I hear getting them from an original game cart is better & safer, is it?
And can I reuse the same header on all the games?
tbh I'm not too sure what these headers are.

I think I came accross a tutorial that allowed either .3ds or .3dz games to be converted to .cia
As I understand it, it allows the installation on to the emunand, so you don't need to go into GW menu?
But I read some conflicting stuff as to whether or not there's any other point in doing this, I think I read somewhere that it's safer than .3dz

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks all, I appreciate you taking your time to answer my questions.

I was doing some reading and it seems 3DS games come (or end up) in 3 formats, .3ds, .3dz and .cia
As I understand it, you should preferably inject some headers into those .3ds roms which then makes em .3dz and allows online functionality, correct?
And as I understand it, you get those headers either from the internet or from an original cartridge.
I hear getting them from an original game cart is better & safer, is it?
And can I reuse the same header on all the games?
tbh I'm not too sure what these headers are.

I think I came accross a tutorial that allowed either .3ds or .3dz games to be converted to .cia
As I understand it, it allows the installation on to the emunand, so you don't need to go into GW menu?
But I read some conflicting stuff as to whether or not there's any other point in doing this, I think I read somewhere that it's safer than .3dz

.3ds/.3dz are the same. The difference is that the roms with a header need to have extension .3dz in order for GW to read them.
If you plan on playing online, it's easier to just get online roms in .3dz format since the work is done for you already.

Private headers might be theoretically safer but no one has been banned yet and there's many people using public ones anyway. It doesn't mean it can't happen though.

CIA are the same as a game you would download from eShop. They get installed in the SD card's system folder (emunand's folder in the SD card) and always appear in the home menu.
If you're using a flashcart like GW, you still need to enter GW Mode though since they're installed in emunand. But there's no need to go to GW Menu anyway.

Headers are unique IDs that are made up by the Cartridge ID and the Chip ID (manufacturer's chip in the cartridge). So basically, they're unique identifications of each cartridge and it's what allows to go online with a rom.

G-STAR01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks,

In regards to the CIA, are there any compatibility differences at all between that and .3dz?
And if I'm not mistaken CIA don't need headers?

As for the headers being unique, would there be any problem if I backed up the headers for a single game and used the same headers for a bunch of different games?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.