Hacking 3DS Firmware Update

Beaps

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi All,
I hope someone can help me out....
I gotta 3DS but it on really low firmware. I want to update the firmware to use a Gateway but I am stuck. If I upload it via the product store it will update the firmware to far.
How do I update it so its in the Gateway remit, can I do it via SD?
Thanks

kirillov

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
And remember, be careful and don´t use GW 2.0b2 firmware, it can cause bricks (like mine). Be safe and use 2.0b1 until next FW update

Beaps

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I am thinking of going with the 3DS R4i Deluxe instead of the Gateway, but thanks for the info

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Each to their own but just be aware r4 cant code anything themselves so assuming gateway stick to their guns with blocking their attempts at stealing their firmware, you may be stuck playing only games for 4.x and 5.x, no multi rom and no emunand

Beaps

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I thought the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe Edition has multi-rom support?

The GateWay dont have multi-rom either I thought?

cypher007

Trophies
XP
Country
not until GW release there's ;) . just have a trawl through the chaos that is clone's and bricking. then think twice about using any firmware above v1.2 with the GW or any clone.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well tbh the clones are unable to update their FPGA without additional hardware, or releasing a new version, gateways multi rom support will update their fpga, so even if the clones want to copy the work, they will still be unable to update their fpga which will be required to enable multi rom,

I wouldn't trust anything they say on their site, they claimed they are making 100% of their own software as well....which was BS, it's most likely they will either drop support for their old card and make a v2 with an updated fpga, or users will have to buy additional hardware to perform the update

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
MT card isn't a direct copy of gateway it's still heavily based on it but they have done some work, it's still pretty much incomplete in terms of compatabilty, but they have the added bonus of not just copying gateway ( or atleast they haven't yet) gateway has got very defensive with their firmware and are including code to stop the clones copying....one of which was the brick code, so if they do start copying....there would be a chance of them getting anti copying code which effects the end users. Gateway ATM are the only coders actually making 100% their own code.

all other cards are copying,I would say MT is promising but the fact they still haven't released their emunand setup makes me think they where planning to copy gateway but gateway delayed 2.0 final....and then they just went silent about their update, time will tell but I think for pretty much continued support gateway is the best option, second would be MT, and I wouldn't really consider the clones a viable option if your wanting long term support

Just to clarify some people will probs start saying I'm fanboy etc and clones are great, but I'm just saying everything I know about the situation, I really don't care what people buy but I wouldn't want people to be mislead by lies from either of the companies, especially if it can result in the buyers 3DS being bricked, a few gateway users did get bricked, but I assume they will tone down the anti copying code in 2.0 final as they should be safe at that point from r4 and 3ds link copying etc thanks to the fpga update, every card comes with it's risks but personally I would prefer to limit those risks as much as possible

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
MT card isn't a direct copy of gateway it's still heavily based on it but they have done some work, it's still pretty much incomplete in terms of compatabilty, but they have the added bonus of not just copying gateway ( or atleast they haven't yet) gateway has got very defensive with their firmware and are including code to stop the clones copying....one of which was the brick code, so if they do start copying....there would be a chance of them getting anti copying code which effects the end users. Gateway ATM are the only coders actually making 100% their own code.

all other cards are copying,I would say MT is promising but the fact they still haven't released their emunand setup makes me think they where planning to copy gateway but gateway delayed 2.0 final....and then they just went silent about their update, time will tell but I think for pretty much continued support gateway is the best option, second would be MT, and I wouldn't really consider the clones a viable option if your wanting long term support
I'd say that the MT-Card will get some updates because there is even a USB port for that. Currently MT-Card has the most advanced save firmware (that is bug-free) since 2.0 Beta 2 contains a bricking code, 2.0 Beta 1 has a savegame bug and sometimes it freezes when entering EmuNAND.
The MT Firmware is based on the GW 1.2 release but it has it's own features like Multi-ROM and saving to the MicroSD card.

laurorual

What are you looking for?
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
GW 2.02b claims to have "Full support for firmware 7.1 (including saving and emunand GW3D indicator, etc.)"
Does that means that GW now support my 3DS in 7.1.0 firmware or that it support emuNAND in 7.1.0 firmware?

crazyace2011

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GW 2.02b claims to have "Full support for firmware 7.1 (including saving and emunand GW3D indicator, etc.)"
Does that means that GW now support my 3DS in 7.1.0 firmware or that it support emuNAND in 7.1.0 firmware?

just the emunand 7.1 people mistake that all the time thinking that the real nand is supported. just bad wording on their part.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'd say that the MT-Card will get some updates because there is even a USB port for that. Currently MT-Card has the most advanced save firmware (that is bug-free) since 2.0 Beta 2 contains a bricking code, 2.0 Beta 1 has a savegame bug and sometimes it freezes when entering EmuNAND.
The MT Firmware is based on the GW 1.2 release but it has it's own features like Multi-ROM and saving to the MicroSD card.
Yeah I did say I think the MT card will receive updates, it's only the complete clones that seem to be finished in terms of updates, maybe they will eventually get a brick free 3.3 but for now they are stuck with 2.0 relabled as 3.3b, if it came down to it it's only between MT and gateway, in terms of features,

Gateway is only missing one feature that MT has ( multi-rom) which gateway has already demonstrated will come in the next update

whilst MT. Is missing about 3 features gateway has (emunand, classic mode, full game compatabilty except for the nand saving games)....which to the best of my knowledge has been promised but not shown in any way

Plus it's always good to know the team behind your card is capable of doing their own work without having to base it on others work, with the price of the cards being pretty much the same it just depends on which feature you think is more important multi rom or emunand-classic mode and better game comparability,

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Gateway is only missing one feature that MT has ( multi-rom) which gateway has already demonstrated will come in the next update

whilst MT. Is missing about 3 features gateway has (emunand, classic mode, full game compatabilty except for the nand saving games)....which to the best of my knowledge has been promised but not shown in any way
MT saves to the MicroSD when you save ingame: You don't have to exit to the main menu every time. In addition, they save to the MicroSD card (if you want to call that a feature).

MT released a video showing NAND Save, too. They havn't shown EmuNAND (which is the same like classic mode) and that's not very important for me. full game compatibility would be great and I think that they announced that, too.

keldoggg

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
babyshambles.net
XP
Country
Wow, some people seem so brainwashed by Gateway. It's unbelievable.

I have 2 x r4i gold deluxe and they work great on all the games my kids want them to. No probs at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)