Hacking 3DS decapping fundraising topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Didn't Paypal freeze Notch's account when Minecraft started to become popular and he suddenly got a TON of money as well? I seem to remember he had trouble getting his money back as well (and there was a lot more than the 400 here).

gshock

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Unfortunately Paypal doesn't want anything to do with the decapping project or fundraiser.
Image1, Image2, Image3

I've replaced the Paypal donation button with one from MoneyBookers ( "Skrill" ) which is another payment gateway similar to Paypal.

As for the funds that have been donated through Paypal, apparently they're frozen for up to 180 days and then released (see the first image above).

After discussing it with other 3DBrew members, I intend to contribute the current donation amount (from my own pocket) and collect the "frozen" funds in 180 days, leaving the current donation count as it is. This is to make sure current donators aren't affected by this decision adversely and so we aren't forced to wait another 180 days to continue.

I've also set up a 'donation refund request' page here for those that donated by Paypal and have the means to donate by Moneybookers or who simply want a refund for their own reason. I strongly recommend filling it out if you are able to use Moneybookers because it will mean your donated funds will be returned to you immediately and you'll get the full amount returned (including Paypal fees that would've been deducted otherwise).

I'll try to get the Paypal account reinstated but my experience with Paypal is once you get on their bad side it's *extremely difficult to change that fact, even if you are in the right. Decapping and SEM imaging are not explicitly against Paypal's terms of service but they most likely don't want to take any chances.

I apologize to all the current supporters for this turn of events but hopefully your support won't go to waste.

* We're aware that Moneybookers isn't available in some locations. We're looking into alternatives.
* Before it's asked - Google Wallet and Amazon Payment require registrants to be US-based.

Q&A:
why not try something like kickstarter... that one might actually work.

From what I've seen Kickstarter uses Amazon Payments which restricts its service to US-based residents. They require a US-based credit card, bank account and tax information.

Is the money that was raised in Paypal Retrievable? Sorry, im not a avid Paypal user.

It isn't 'gone' but if they hold it for 180 days, it's not that much different.

Although I can't use the account to send/withdraw anything, I can refund any transaction made in the past 60 days, so it -is- possible for everyone to get their donation back.

Edit- Also, how did they exactly break the policy

We haven't yet.

If it's a matter of having a bank account attached, or his home address confirmed then yeah it's no problem. But if PayPal is voiding the transactions based on the whole 3ds part then they will probably do some greasy stuff. I thought people were saying they got a TOS breach error.

It's been verified by mailing address, bank account and credit card. I don't think that factored into their decision, unfortunately.

finkmac

Trophies
Website
www.epicwinrar.com
XP
Country
Canada
Didn't Paypal freeze Notch's account when Minecraft started to become popular and he suddenly got a TON of money as well? I seem to remember he had trouble getting his money back as well (and there was a lot more than the 400 here).
Yeah, that happened to him as well… I think he had like $500k €600k in there…

isaac52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone PM me when we can donate again. I'll chip in $20 and perhaps hold a tournament fundraiser elsewhere. (Dollar entry, half goes to winner half to fundraiser)
That's probably never going to happen though.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Fucking PayPal huh? Fucking PayPay...

It looks like I can donate pretty easily through this Moneybookers process instead, I may pitch in when the donation drive gets some speed. :)

Reactions: kenshen

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I'm glad the money ISN'T exactly lost but that does still really suck.

As far as international alternatives, has anyone considered Western Union? I've only used it once and it's been a while but I understand it can be done online. The only problem might be if they require some sort of contact information to send (I can't remember off hand) and anyone wants to conceal their identity.

kingcolex

Joe "Coop" Cooper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad to see an alternative has been found, although this paypal has slowed this down. Hopefully this will give the 3DS scene the push it has been needing.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why has the total raised gone down?
Earlier it was a little more than the $442 it was stuck on for a few days.
Right now it's just $410.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for moving forward with this, I donated $20 to paypal and I'll donate another $20 to moneybookers. Fuck paypal right up it's ass, fuck Nintendo and their bait-and-switch (referring to how they said they would offer Netflix before the 3DS came out, yet zero 3D feature length movies available, one of the big reasons I early adopted.)

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, if Reverse Engineering is legal, and since it is legal, how does that break copy-right law? Just my question. Ill try to get funds to you guys ASAP.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks for moving forward with this, I donated $20 to paypal and I'll donate another $20 to moneybookers. Fuck paypal right up it's ass, fuck Nintendo and their bait-and-switch (referring to how they said they would offer Netflix before the 3DS came out, yet zero 3D feature length movies available, one of the big reasons I early adopted.)

At least you got Netflix, I am still waiting for Nintendo to release the Netflix app to brazilians 3DS owners...

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll try to get the Paypal account reinstated but my experience with Paypal is once you get on their bad side it's *extremely difficult to change that fact, even if you are in the right. Decapping and SEM imaging are not explicitly against Paypal's terms of service but they most likely don't want to take any chances.
I can vouch for this. About 6 years ago, I sold a phone on eBay to a buyer in Europe. I offered them insurance on the postage but they didn't take it. I sent the parcel by courier with tracking and they lost it, so PayPal gave the buyer their money back and subsequently hounded me for the funds, since I'd already taken them. I pointed them to their own terms and conditions, which stated that the seller need only prove that they'd "duly posted the item", which I could do because I had the invoice and tracking details. They refused to accept this, and hounded me for a long time, threatening to take me to court. I told them to go ahead, having a printed copy of said terms and everything else ready for that day in a folder (still have it!), but they never went through with it. They tried again about 3 years later, but I gave them the "make my day" speech. tl;dr, they're collectively thick-headed and stubborn, you'll never get them to change their minds about it.

I find it interesting that they put a stop to the fundraiser so quickly. It makes me wonder if they received a complaint directly from Nintendo, they must be watching 3dbrew.org after all, and we know they already have PayPal's ear from all the piracy-enabling card stores they shut down.

FYI, Kickstarter is now available for projects originating from the UK, but I guess that still doesn't help if you live in Canada.

Reactions: 3DSGuy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-