3DS could feature automatic firmware updates

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the 3DS wasn't so expensive, I wouldn't mind buying games. But Nintendo has forced me to side with the pirates on this one.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheDestroyer said:
Nintendo should provide free internet (like kindles?) for these consoles, now we're talkin.. lol

technically internet is not free on it... you pay about a 50 dollar fee (included in the price of the unit). thats why the 'wifi' only unit is 50 bucks cheaper.

my opinion:
if you cant install games (or if its restrictive like the 360, which is improbable since that would defeat the purpose of installing to not carry carts around), bring on the flashcart. i refuse to carry multiple games around.

also, a flashcart might be preferable anyways if you cant install to sd, since games might be large and the mem on the 3ds probably wont carry much anyways
tongue.gif

QUOTE(Dangy @ Oct 1 2010, 02:02 PM) If the 3DS wasn't so expensive, I wouldn't mind buying games. But Nintendo has forced me to side with the pirates on this one.

have they even released to prices of games yet? or is everything just speculated

XXLANCEXX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some Hackers Gonna Come Up With CFW for this system but i wont be using it
Im Buying Certain Games Like SSFIV,RE series,TOA if it comes here,Kid Icarus,LOZ OOT,and Paper Mario

krzym1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Kinda funny how 99% ppl in this topic say that they dont/wont pirate while under some DS releases there are over 9000 post like "downloading it now" lololo.

It's not really a big problem. Even teh impossible to hack PS3 got cracked. It might be even better if 3DS gets hacked like few months after release so there will be more interesting games, and the hardware will already drop prices on dem ebayz and sht...

t^2

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If Nintendo really thinks that non-user-approved auto-updates are the solution to piracy on the 3DS, they're sadly mistaken.

abaddon41_80

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if the updates do block flashcarts and you cannot stop the 3DS from updating, pirates are just going to find some way around the anti-piracy measures just like they have with the DSi. This is really not a big deal

AmitZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Before I start my post I have to say that here in GBAtemp i'm usually a lurker. I rarely, rarely post something, but piracy is something that really anger me, and I thought I should finally hear my voice.

I really hope that the 3DS won't be hacked. That will stop all those damn parasite pirate who steal and leech off people hard work.
I mean, it's really sad to see how common piracy has gotten and how it impact sales and, more importantly, how it discourages developers from releasing good games instead of quick buck shovelwere (see: Wii).

Up until recently I was a pirate even though I did have money to buy games (And games here cost quite a bit, even imported), but I didn't buy games claiming I had "Better use for the money". About 10 months ago I was recruited to the army, as it is mandatory here in Israel. When you're in the army you get each month a very very low salary (~700 NIS which is roughly $200 a month) and even despite the low paycheck, or even because of it, I decided that I will not pirate anymore. True, I don't get to play every game I want, but games that I really want to play, I import and play them. There's just something really rewarding in playing a game you know you earned with your own sweat and money.

That being said, something that really make me angery is people who come up with that sad, sad argument that they pirate because "They don't have money". OK, you don't have money? DON'T BUY IT! definitely don't pirate it, because if you pirate it, it's like you essenitally STEAL it. Say what you want, but if you were at a gaming store and saw a game you want, but you didn't have the money for it, would you steal it? Of course not. Then what so different in piracy? Well, that simple. It's just the fact that it's it like the rest of the internet and particulary 4chan, the fact that in the internet you're anonymous and no one can "see" you, know who you are or know what are you doing, making it so much mentally easier to downloaded a game from the comfortness of your own house. Not to mention it's so damn easy, simple and cheap to pirate.

If the 3DS won't be hacked, or in a worse scanrio, will be hacked but will be very hard and/or expensive to hack, it will force a lot of pirates to buy games, thus raising sales, or in other cases, when people still refuse to buy games, it will make them stop playing completely, thus at least they're not using something they didn't PAY for.

D

Deleted User

When will they learn that hacker's will always win? You can not stop them. You can slow them down and make it more difficult but hackers will prevail. Just like pirates will keep pirating no matter what.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
Mr Iwata said many people in the past did not updated their system's firmware, so he is looking for new ways to bring updates to the users.

Because they gave us no reason to. There was no added features or anything like that.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
AmitZ said:
Before I start my post I have to say that here in GBAtemp i'm usually a lurker. I rarely, rarely post something, but piracy is something that really anger me, and I thought I should finally hear my voice.

I really hope that the 3DS won't be hacked. That will stop all those damn parasite pirate who steal and leech off people hard work.
I mean, it's really sad to see how common piracy has gotten and how it impact sales and, more importantly, how it discourages developers from releasing good games instead of quick buck shovelwere (see: Wii).

Up until recently I was a pirate even though I did have money to buy games (And games here cost quite a bit, even imported), but I didn't buy games claiming I had "Better use for the money". About 10 months ago I was recruited to the army, as it is mandatory here in Israel. When you're in the army you get each month a very very low salary (~700 NIS which is roughly $200 a month) and even despite the low paycheck, or even because of it, I decided that I will not pirate anymore. True, I don't get to play every game I want, but games that I really want to play, I import and play them. There's just something really rewarding in playing a game you know you earned with your own sweat and money.

That being said, something that really make me angery is people who come up with that sad, sad argument that they pirate because "They don't have money". OK, you don't have money? DON'T BUY IT! definitely don't pirate it, because if you pirate it, it's like you essenitally STEAL it. Say what you want, but if you were at a gaming store and saw a game you want, but you didn't have the money for it, would you steal it? Of course not. Then what so different in piracy? Well, that simple. It's just the fact that it's it like the rest of the internet and particulary 4chan, the fact that in the internet you're anonymous and no one can "see" you, know who you are or know what are you doing, making it so much mentally easier to downloaded a game from the comfortness of your own house. Not to mention it's so damn easy, simple and cheap to pirate.

If the 3DS won't be hacked, or in a worse scanrio, will be hacked but will be very hard and/or expensive to hack, it will force a lot of pirates to buy games, thus raising sales, or in other cases, when people still refuse to buy games, it will make them stop playing completely, thus at least they're not using something they didn't PAY for.

QFT

I agree....if the 3DS is hacked too soon then developers will start to pull out like developers did with the Sony PSP and the Sega Dreamcast (Sony killed the Dreamcast..ANYWAY)

I don't agree is with the fanboy targeted price of $300-$250

wait a few years like the DS when it gets stale and shitty shovelware is released like now.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
havent we seen updates coming everytime which override the firmware patches?
it is possible tht the flashcarts will also give quick updates to overcome these AP

EDIT: Let me ask you this question Amitz
If you were selling stationary and before I buy it, you tell me that you have to only use it for writing books on games... wouldnt it be correct to say that since you have kept a condition for the usage of this product then also i should impose a condition on how you should use the money i gave you in EXCHANGE for this product?
what is buying and selling? it means a person exchanges his product for someone else's which in this case is money. If I give you full authority to do whatever you wish to do with the money then also you should do the same (even unintentionally)?

Anyway its just a thought, not necessary for you to accept it brother

t^2

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
AmitZ said:

I don't think there's a single possible situation that could occur to make me think "gee, Nintendo really sure could use more of my money!" I mean, the third-party support on the 3DS is going to be huge granted, but there's a happy medium between pirating and paying. A lot of companies really aren't being hurt at all by pirating (Nintendo, The Pokemon Company, etc.), sure they're making a bit less money, but they're still sweating gold from their pores when you take into account how much they charge and the ratio of pirates to purchasers. I don't feel bad about downloading Wii Sports Resort after I shell out $300 for the system, plus another $200 in peripherals to Nintendo, and I don't think anyone else should either.

When you're talking about third-party games from developers that are barely covering their costs, it becomes a different story. In which case I 100% agree that they deserve my money. However, I'm not going to pay for a game that I'm not going to enjoy, and pirating gives me the option to try it before I buy it. If it wasn't for pirating they would be losing my purchase, and I know for a fact that there are a lot of others like me.

There's also homebrew to consider, and I wouldn't even have a Wii if the homebrew scene wasn't so massive. I'm currently saving up for a second one so I can have one for another floor, so there's ~$800 Nintendo can thank homebrew for. I know many people who wouldn't have a Wii/DSi if it wasn't for homebrew, so Nintendo is essentially profiting from it in a way.

Bottom line is, people know they're stealing when they pirate. They do it anyway, just like people who steal from stores do that anyway. Other consumers shouldn't have to suffer because of them; and I know that when I shell out $300 for a system, I better be able to do whatever the hell I want with it within its capabilities.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
monaug5 said:
I think it is a good move.

It is time that these game companies start to cash in from the labour of creating what we pirates have taken for free.

lol, really? They've been cashing in all along; it's well established that the estimates of loss due to piracy are grossly exaggerated and inaccurate. The vast majority of pirates would never actually buy all the games they pirate... maybe 2%-5% of them.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
t^2 said:
If Nintendo really thinks that non-user-approved auto-updates are the solution to piracy on the 3DS, they're sadly mistaken.Since you're claiming it won't work and there's a better way, why don't you explain yourself? I'm certainly interested in hearing it.

QUOTE(AmitZ @ Oct 1 2010, 03:23 PM) definitely don't pirate it, because if you pirate it, it's like you essenitally STEAL it. Say what you want, but if you were at a gaming store and saw a game you want, but you didn't have the money for it, would you steal it? Of course not. Then what so different in piracy?
The fact that nothing is stolen. Durrrrrr.

If you take something from a shop, the shop loses that item. The shop no longer has that item because of your actions. You have deprived that shop of the item.

Not so with piracy.

t^2

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
Since you're claiming it won't work and there's a better way, why don't you explain yourself? I'm certainly interested in hearing it.
I'm not claiming there's a better way, I'm simply claiming that this won't work. I know enough about programming to know that a workaround can be created for auto-updating. Flashcard manufacturers can also update their firmware to workaround new updates, much like they do now.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
DiscostewSM said:
How do you beat a hacker? Simple, you form a team consisting of very capable hackers to find ways to hack into the system while keeping the discoveries confidential, then fixing the problem before anyone can attempt to use the possible openings.
tongue.gif

say hello to GeoHot and Dark_aleX for me okay?

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
AmitZ said:
I rarely, rarely post something, but piracy is something that really anger me

Stopped reading right there, Sorry bud, but you're in the wrong forum then. This entire forum is full of pirates, which 99% of them admit, even though GBATemp doesn't officially, endorse piracy.

EDIT: And towards the title: What if someone never connected their 3DS to the internet?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: might look for one on yt