3DS continually goes right

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by TheJinKazama, May 17, 2014.

1. TheJinKazama
    OP

TheJinKazama Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2011
    Hello,

My 3DS just developed this issue tonight. I'm using a 4.5 system with Gateway 2.1. This happened randomly on the menu, if I don't touch anything the console thinks I am pressing right so goes to the far right on the home menu. I can stop it by pressing left on the Circle Pad or D-Pad but it doesn't fix it. Unable to send the console for repair to Nintendo as I will lose my 4.5 system firmware. I have tried calibrating the circle pad but to no avail.

Any pointers?

Thanks

2. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    I'd say you probably need to find some way to pinpoint whether it's the circle pad module or the dpad that's registering as being pressed right. If it's the circle pad module it's probably as simple as buying a new circle pad module and installing that. If it's the dpad though, unless someone else comes in here with better knowledge than I, you might be SOL.

3. TheJinKazama
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2011
    Any way to distinguish what's causing the problem? There's a repair shop near me, I'll ask them for a quote too.

4. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Play a game where the D-Pad and the circle pad have different functions and see which function is continually moving.

5. TheJinKazama
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2011
    I can't even choose any options on the menu as the system moves too quickly. I'll see what quote I get from the shop.

6. Ozito

Ozito Not a new member anymore

Mar 20, 2006
    Sweden
    The easiest way would be the most "drastic" way.
    Disassembling the unit and disconnecting the module Sicklyboy was talking about.

Did you do something different with it? Had it in a humid room (bathroom with shower running hot) or maybe borrowed it to a younger family member while he was having a drink?
    Could be some residue of something that could have gotten in there, making contact with whatever tells it to go "right".

MegaBassBX and SmileCitrus like this.
  7. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    tbgtbg and Ozito like this.
  8. Ozito

Mar 20, 2006
    Sweden
  9. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    Suppose you could disconnect the circle pad module. System ought to power on without it...

10. Ozito

Mar 20, 2006
    Sweden
    I guess I'll have to open up mine to put the money where my mouth is.
    I'll edit this post with pictures when I'm done.

--EDIT#1--
    Ok, something to keep in mind is to use a philips screwdriver of the right size, it should fit the screws like a puzzle piece.
    The reason I say this is because my screws were screwed on really tight, if I were to use a smaller or bigger screwdriver I would en up rounding (I don't know if it is the right term in English) the screw.

So don't proceed if your screwdriver slip.

Well so here's what I found out.
    Without the joystick, the selector in the menu starts going right as soon as i start up the 3DS.
    But it is possible to stop it, it is done by pressing and holding left on the d-pad and then press left on the touchscreen until the left arrow disappears and the green selector can't go left anymore.

Here's a video without comment demonstrating how I stop it and I also prove that the joystick is out and that it's still possible to boot up a game.

So from what i experienced, I believe your joystick somehow got disconnected or is broken (probably the latter).

Open your 3DS, remember what I wrote about the screwdriver and see if something looks wrong with the joystick or the connection.

--EDIT#2--

TheJinKazama you could now try what Snailface wrote earlier;

Sicklyboy and SmileCitrus like this.
  11. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    Ozito very good find, thank you for taking the time to do that! Hopefully this can help OP out!

Ozito likes this.
  12. TheJinKazama
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2011
    Hi everyone and sorry for the delay in posting, My console has been in the repair shop for almost a fortnight and they've tried several things. Both the circle pad and part of the touch screen were replaced but to no avail. The next step was to attempt to replace the D-Pad but this won't be possible as it cannot be removed (sorry for lack of detail but I'm going from memory). As such, they have advised me that there is no more they can do. I am thinking about selling the console for spares and repairs, how much can I expect to receive?

Thanks for all the suggestions above but I was more comfortable leaving it to professionals.

13. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Heaven-forbid you open the machine and clean it out with rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs... -.-

14. SmileCitrus

SmileCitrus GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    It actually is possible to replace the D-pad contacts on the motherboard, but it doesn't really sound like that's what's causing the problem. If they hadn't already tried replacing the circle pad, I would have bet money that Ozito was right, since the symptom you're describing is exactly what happens if you power the console on without a circle pad connected.

But if you want to ask the repair shop to give it a try, as long as the technician is careful not to wear out the adhesive he or she can peel the contacts off the board, clean underneath, and then stick the original contact pad back on. If they'll do it without charging you it's worth a try just to check for corrosion underneath.

I don't know about Europe, but in the US broken 3DS consoles easily sell for $50 on eBay even if they've been cracked, stepped on, dropped in a puddle, run over, etc... Since yours sounds like it's in pretty decent shape other than the directional issue, you could probably expect more. Just don't feel the need to be too honest in your auction description. The less said in the description, the better for you.

15. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    Im sorry to say your 3DS registered as a republican.

[​IMG]