Jonke

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi

i wonder if it's safe to have the cradle on the electricity outlet all the time even if the 3ds is not charging?

cus sometimes i dont bother to remove it from the electric outlet when i'm playing.

Jonke

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok thanks
wink.gif
had to know if it was ok and soon you guys are going to experience the 3ds too
wink.gif

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
That's actually the idea.

When you're not using your 3DS you just put it down in the cradle, without having to mess around with plugging.

Oceanborn712

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Would still make sense to remove it though. As long as it's plugged in it drains electricity and that can add up pretty fast when you have a lot of stuff plugged in.

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oceanborn712 said:
Would still make sense to remove it though. As long as it's plugged in it drains electricity and that can add up pretty fast when you have a lot of stuff plugged in.
The cradle doesn't drain any energy. It's just a wire connection.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
M[u said:
ddy]
Oceanborn712 said:
The cradle doesn't drain any energy. It's just a wire connection.
Yeah, it's like plugging the charging cable thingy to the wall but not to the system.

Oceanborn712

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No, the cradle doesn't, but the wall plug does. That thing isn't just cables, it transforms the voltage that comes out of the wall into one that won't kill your device (you don't expect it to blow 230V into the DS, do you?
wink.gif
)

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
Oceanborn712 said:
No, the cradle doesn't, but the wall plug does. That thing isn't just cables, it transforms the voltage that comes out of the wall into one that won't kill your device (you don't expect it to blow 230V into the DS, do you?
wink.gif
)

Well if it is using power it's using less than 0.00W as that's all my power usage plug can show.

I think i'm okay with leaving it plugged in if it's using 0.009W or less.

TheNikkoMan

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Oceanborn712 said:
wink.gif
)
This makes sense in one way, but in another; where does all the transformed electricity go? By logic it would just transform when there's something plugged on the other end.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Oceanborn712 said:
wink.gif
)
If I'm not wrong, the circuit wouldn't be closed, thus energy isn't wasted.

I'm probably wrong though, I'm no electricist.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Oceanborn712 said:
wink.gif
)
TheNikkoMan said:
This makes sense in one way, but in another; where does all the transformed electricity go? By logic it would just transform when there's something plugged on the other end.QUOTE(Ikki @ Mar 26 2011, 07:33 PM)
If I'm not wrong, the circuit wouldn't be closed, thus energy isn't wasted.
I'm probably wrong though, I'm no electricist.
Well I am !! - so onto a little lesson about chargers

The thing is that whenever a charging device is plugged into a wall socket with the power switch on, regardless of whether it is plugged into a device for charging or not - it WILL still use electricity......The electricity it uses is transformed into heat

A Charger/Transformer basically consists of 2 tightly wound coils of wire, isolated from each other, to create a step down of voltage by use of 'magnectic inductor principles'.
transformer_diagram_sm.gif

Now a Coil of wire that has a voltage running through it, will not only produce a magnectic field - it will also produce heat/light (those of us old enough may remember 'electric bar fires', these are basically one half of a transformer). Now modern day transformers/chargers are more efficient than the good old days - so the amount of heat it produces is very little - but it is still energy used.

When you are charging a device (3DS or whatever) you are putting a higher 'load' onto the transformer (on the other 'coils') which heats up the iron core even more than normal - & that is why transfomers can get 'warmer' after charging

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Is it fine to leave the 3DS on the cradle when it's not used, so the battery will be 100% every time I wanna play it? Or do you not recommend it at all?

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
R2DJ said:
Is it fine to leave the 3DS on the cradle when it's not used, so the battery will be 100% every time I wanna play it? Or do you not recommend it at all?
yes. Just play it at least once every 2 months.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
apart from standby power consumption there's always a possible fire risk, it only takes a second to flick the switch on/off especially at night.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Wiisel said:
apart from standby power consumption there's always a possible fire risk, it only takes a second to flick the switch on/off especially at night.
Many countries (including the US) do not have switches for their electrical sockets. Normally (but not always) only countries of former British colonies do (such as Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong etc)
smile.gif

I heard that placing your 3DS on the cradle with the power on 24 hours a day will deduct it's battery life. True or false? I don't want only an hour's worth of gameplay
frown.gif

Z

Zorua

chris888222 said:
Wiisel said:
Many countries (including the US) do not have switches for their electrical sockets.
They do but the on and off positions are opposite to that of other countries.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!