Hacking 3DS CFW: Home screen freezes and presents error code.

Big_Berd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had successfully installed CFW, but a month later I took the 3DS apart to inspect some parts. When I booted it back up the home menu froze, about 30 seconds in, and presented an error screen.
Error type: generic
Process ID: 67115840
Address: 0x00000cea
Error code: 0x000000ce
Press any button to reboot

I've had a hard time finding any information on this error code. Other boards lead to dead ends or don't even address the error code. Out of desperation, I decided to try and uninstall CFW altogether. I got stuck partway through the guide when it instructed me to delete things from the system settings. The problem is that the 3ds will freeze and present its error screen within the first 30 seconds of booting up the system -- there is only so far I can progress through the system settings before this happens.

Is there anyway to recover the system? I don't care if I lose everything I've downloaded, I just don't want a bricked system. Please bear with me, I have an extremely limited understanding of technical things.

Sosekis

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Uh dude I ain't too sure about this but I recall a YouTube video saying you shouldn't do that when you have CFW on cuz there is a chance of bricking the console but I'm not too sure

Reactions: Big_Berd

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had successfully installed CFW, but a month later I took the 3DS apart to inspect some parts. When I booted it back up the home menu froze, about 30 seconds in, and presented an error screen.
Error type: generic
Process ID: 67115840
Address: 0x00000cea
Error code: 0x000000ce
Press any button to reboot

I've had a hard time finding any information on this error code. Other boards lead to dead ends or don't even address the error code. Out of desperation, I decided to try and uninstall CFW altogether. I got stuck partway through the guide when it instructed me to delete things from the system settings. The problem is that the 3ds will freeze and present its error screen within the first 30 seconds of booting up the system -- there is only so far I can progress through the system settings before this happens.

Is there anyway to recover the system? I don't care if I lose everything I've downloaded, I just don't want a bricked system. Please bear with me, I have an extremely limited understanding of technical things.

I'm having the same problem as OP. I'll be using the frogminer link to reinstall BS9/Luma3DS. Assuming everything goes off without a hitch, and I'm able to access data management again, where should I go from there? Am I able to uninstall BS9/Luma3DS and get my system back to stock?
Whatever your goal is… uninstalling CFW will most likely not get rid of errors – but it will get rid of all tools that can potentially used for troubleshooting. If you did not already run the uninstall script, please don't do it. There is a reason why https://3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw advises the user to delete non-legit titles from Data Management before actually removing B9S.

If the console crashed every time without user interaction try starting without any SD.

Big_Berd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for getting back to me. I had uninstalled CFW a few hours ago. The problem with freezing at the data management screen began shortly after that. After carefully re-reading the instructions, I realize I messed up in that I didn't delete the games I downloaded. I thought I was supposed to simply delete the programs explicitly used for CFW like luma, FBI, homebrew, etc.

As for my current situation, I have tried using a new SD card, as well as not inserting one altogether, and what was interesting was that I was able to access the 3DS software portion of data management (to which it appropriately said "no software found"). However, I am unable to access the DSIware portion of D. Manage. without the system crashing.

Do you think it's possible to recover the system by following your instructions regarding frogminer? Thanks for your help.

edit: the console only crashes when trying to access data management of 3ds and/or dsiware software. It does not crash without input.

Last edited by Big_Berd,
Reactions: Alexander1970

bgamboe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did you have TWiLight menu ++ installed? I've noticed it's installed onto the system memory of DSiWare, maybe that's what's causing the crash in the DSiWare screen? (maybe since when you take out the SD the 3ds portion works) I'm no expert, just theorizing. Good luck fixing it tho!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do you think it's possible to recover the system by following your instructions regarding frogminer? Thanks for your help.
The older Frogminer method does not use System Settings so it should be usable as a fallback solution in this case.

I'm having the same problem as OP. I'll be using the frogminer link to reinstall BS9/Luma3DS. Assuming everything goes off without a hitch, and I'm able to access data management again, where should I go from there? Am I able to uninstall BS9/Luma3DS and get my system back to stock?
I'm not a big fan of uninstalling custom firmware – especially for the "I want to sell!" reason¹. Once you have reinstalled B9S and can cleared up all portions of Data Management it should be possible to go back to stock. However, I recommend doing some tests before uninstalling: Start the native firmware like explained on the guide, open System Settings (Data Management) and make sure there are no leftovers (like JPN Flipnote Studio still injected into Download Play).

Good luck!

¹ Selling a previously modded system without telling the buyer about this is something I would not do. If the buyer encounters any hardware damage and sends in the console to Nintendo they might refuse repair and ban the console because of usage of "unauthorized software" as they like to call it. It is easy for Nintendo to see the system has used CFW in the past.
Even after removing B9S and seemingly everything working the buyer might have a hard time and get errors when trying to download purchased software from the eShop if there are still fake tickets installed.

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Sure you didn't find any information online about that error code, because that error code is invalid. There is a bug the latest Luma version that makes the error codes in the crash screen to be invalid. But from the symptoms it could simply be you didn't connect the front camera ribbon cable correctly.

Since you uninstalled CFW you got rid of all the options to troubleshoot the problem (which was the worst thing you could have done).

You can try enabling 3D and see if it works properly, try also repeatedly closing and opening the hinge and going to the camera by pressing L + R to see if it crashes. If that's the case it could be the ribbon cable as mentioned earlier.

NEVER UNINSTALL CFW, IT WON'T FIX MOST OF THE ISSUES!!!

Big_Berd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The older Frogminer method does not use System Settings so it should be usable as a fallback solution in this case.
I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

But from the symptoms it could simply be you didn't connect the front camera ribbon cable correctly.
Thanks for the tip. I forgot to clarify -- The issue with the home menu freezing is no longer an issue. I read in another thread that a possibility was that the wifi board was not correctly connected. After I took it apart again and adjusted the wifi board, there was no more freezing. Kleines comments in this thread are actually a response to my comments in another thread, so in a sense, the subject has changed. Nonetheless, thank you for your advice.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs