Hardware 3ds cannot display the software on the sd.. error

snam11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as the title says, i get out of the blue this error on my old 3ds.
all the sd i'm testing are fine and worked before, so i suppose is not a sd card problem (to be 101% sure, i've reformatted all and i keep on getting the error).
3ds recognize the read/write protection, and if the sd is popped out/in, but i keep on getting the error.
i've tested so far all the connection pins on the sd reader pcb and seems fine (continuity test on the multimeter).
i've also tested the pcb connectors on the reader and motherboard and there are no issues or bent pin,etc.
on the pcb board there are few smd that seems restistors and capacitors but i don't know the values so i can't test if the issue is caused by them.
has someone a clue or a tip to solve my problem?

@vb_encryption_vb what do you think about it?

thanx

snam11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanx for the reply but the sd are ok (i already knew but i did a test to be 101% sure),
so without any hw specs of smd components i'm out of clues

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as the title says, i get out of the blue this error on my old 3ds.
all the sd i'm testing are fine and worked before, so i suppose is not a sd card problem (to be 101% sure, i've reformatted all and i keep on getting the error).
3ds recognize the read/write protection, and if the sd is popped out/in, but i keep on getting the error.
i've tested so far all the connection pins on the sd reader pcb and seems fine (continuity test on the multimeter).
i've also tested the pcb connectors on the reader and motherboard and there are no issues or bent pin,etc.
on the pcb board there are few smd that seems restistors and capacitors but i don't know the values so i can't test if the issue is caused by them.
has someone a clue or a tip to solve my problem?

@vb_encryption_vb what do you think about it?

thanx

thanx for the reply but the sd are ok (i already knew but i did a test to be 101% sure),
so without any hw specs of smd components i'm out of clues
  1. Copy everything off your SD card to a computer.
  2. Make sure the SD card's LOCK slider switch is not set to read-only mode (chart #1).
  3. Quadruple reformat.
  4. Ensure the card isn't fake or dying. full Write + Verify the empty card with H2testw.
    • If an error was report, replace the hardware failed card and go back to step 2.

If the Old 3DS (regular) is still stuck in read-only mode despite the above troubleshooting, replace the sd card slot reader.

snam11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanx for the reply, but just to make things clear:
THE SD IS FINE, ALL OF THEM ARE FINE.
the problem is the sd card reader, i need the hw specs of the components on it so i can try to repair it.
the pins connections are fine, on pcb card and on motherboard. i miss the values of the 2 smd on the pcb. those could be resistors or capacitors, but i can't find any info on those.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if the SD card appears fine in every way, I'd still give a try to copying all the data from that card to another card and seeing what the results of that are.

Reactions: Alexander1970
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanx for the reply, but just to make things clear:
THE SD IS FINE, ALL OF THEM ARE FINE.
the problem is the sd card reader, i need the hw specs of the components on it so i can try to repair it.
the pins connections are fine, on pcb card and on motherboard. i miss the values of the 2 smd on the pcb. those could be resistors or capacitors, but i can't find any info on those.
The actual sd card slot reader goes bad over time. There's a pin inside the slot that reads whether or not the SD card has the read-only switch in the LOCK position. When that pin fails, it falsely registers read-only.

If your system is Old 3DS (regular), replace the sd card slot reader as mentioned in my above post. Not worth the trouble trying to fix the hard to reach pin.

If your system is instead Old 3DS XL, refer to this other post for the replacement part.

snam11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't think is a pin fail issue, because if i set lock on sd, the 3ds says the sd is write protected, and of course if i put it back, the error is different

snam11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if the SD card appears fine in every way, I'd still give a try to copying all the data from that card to another card and seeing what the results of that are.
i've already formatted, copied/deleted, verified with H2testw.
the problem is not the sd

Last edited by snam11,

snam11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the left image (write-protection is enabled, the soft can't be displayed) if the lock is enabled on the sd

dunno if it helps but i'm on 11.8.0-41e

Last edited by snam11,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the left image (write-protection is enabled, the soft can't be displayed) if the lock is enabled on the sd

dunno if it helps but i'm on 11.8.0-41e
Your description of the issue is too vague in pinpointing what it really is.

What is the error message you see when the SD card's switch is set to the open or un-lock position like in this image?
Take a picture and post it here.

snam11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was very clear since the beginning...
btw i've attached 3 pics:
1 when i insert the sd
2 when i take it out
3 if lock is enabled

I'm looking for some1 that has already mapped the sd reader pinout so i can compare it with mine. also smd/cap values are welcome.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 559
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 821
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 763
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was very clear since the beginning...
btw i've attached 3 pics:
1 when i insert the sd
2 when i take it out
3 if lock is enabled

I'm looking for some1 that has already mapped the sd reader pinout so i can compare it with mine. also smd/cap values are welcome.

i have tested so far at least 4 sd. is the reader that has some issues...

Posting an updated chart for future readers who might run into similar issues. This is why pictures were requested as these errors look too similar to one another.

Launch 3DS games issues (updated).png

@snam11,

1. What programs are you using to reformat the SD cards?

2. Are the cards getting reformatted in these exact settings?
  • [ FAT32 format | primary partition | MBR disk | 32 KB cluster size * ]
  • See the previously mentioned 'quadruple reformat'.
  • * 64 KB cluster size is optional for cards that are 128 GB and bigger.
3. Have you tried cleaning the card reader slot with canned air? Does it appears to have dust contamination?​

I looked across multiple threads on GBAtemp, reddit r/3DS, nintendo-en-americas, etc. These were the few cases found that were successful fixes.

snam11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
guys, i don't mean to be rude but:
the sd are all good, all of them previously worked on my 3ds, and matter of fact those still works on ANY other system.
keep on trying formatting or changing it won't fix a thing
is not an sd issue, is the reader that doesn't work out uf the blue, so i'm trying to figure out the pinout and the resistors/cap values to pinpoint what causes the fail
who has a multimeter in continuity mode could do a pin to pin connection mapping out the route from sd to pcb connector?

Last edited by snam11,

snam11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is mine. but i guess some pins don't have connection due to bad/broken flat

Attachments

• sd pinout.jpg
    sd pinout.jpg
    937.7 KB · Views: 597
Last edited by snam11,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Yeah so true