3DS Camera - Black Screen?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Cloak519, Apr 14, 2011.

Apr 14, 2011

3DS Camera - Black Screen? by Cloak519 at 1:02 PM (5,129 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Cloak519
    OP

Member Cloak519 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hey [​IMG]. I've been wondering whether or not I should try to get my 3DS replaced through Nintendo.
    I've noticed that the camera seems to be a little temperamental, in that sometimes I just get a black screen where I should be seeing my surroundings when attempting to take a picture. I have to shut down my 3DS then turn it back on to get the camera working right.
    I first noticed this after I was messing around with AR cards on my laptop, but I don't know whether this has caused my 3DS to mess up or whether it's just coincidence, because prior to that I hadn't really used the camera. I took one picture to try it out and that was about it.
    I was thinking that if I left it too late and it became a permanent thing, I might end up with a knackered 3DS forever [​IMG].
    Anyone else having this problem? And do you think I should keep it or try and get a replacement? Because I'm pretty sure that's not right...

2. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    The first 3DS I got had a problem much like this, the outer cameras would fail but the inner camera was working.
    Sometimes just one of the outer cameras would fail, sometimes it was both. It'd look totally black but there may be green dots or lines on the screen. Trying to adjust the camera (filters like sepia tone, etc) would be slow to update, freeze or even produce an error message.

When I was getting those problems I have to return the 3DS, mind you it was also on stock firmware.

3. Cloak519
    OP

Member Cloak519 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

This is exactly what mine does! I try adjusting the slidey thing on screen and changing filters and stuff... and it just stalls.
    Mine isn't on stock firmware, I've updated [​IMG].
    Where did you return it to? Nintendo or the store your purchased it from?
    Edit: So it looks like I'll have to return it to Asda for a refund. Which is bullshit and rage-inducing because I can't directly exchange it for another unit. The refund I get is £187. This means that I'll have to add £10 to get another unit. On top of that, I've lost out on hours of my SWC gameplay.
    That said, if I purchase a blue version instead I'd end up with an extra 750 Club Nintendo points... which is alright.
    But still, I am not happy [​IMG].

4. gibberish

Member gibberish GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i hate to say it but asda are mostly reasonable people. they should sell you a new unit for the same price you paid for your faulty one, or allow you a straight swap. be polite and calm and pick a customer service guy who doesn't look like a total mong (can be difficult in asda i admit).